Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Questions about the Main Street Set

Hey there! I have been looking at (more like Drooling over) the Olszewski Disneyland main street set for a while now, and I want to start my collection. I am planning on buying the Magic Shop/20th century Music Co. building... but I do have a few questions before I start my collection...

1. I hope to eventually be able to buy the platform and have my own full main street. (i'm not planning on doing any crazy modifications) Robert talks a lot about the transformation from Collector to hobbyist. How much skill does it take to put the entire platform together? Would a person with absolutely no experience in modeling and stuff like that be able to build the platform?

2. What is the best and cheapest way to obtain pieces? I really don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars over the original price of the sculpture. I live nowhere near the parks, but in the continental US.

3. I know you have to remove the sculptures from their bases to put them in the platform. Can you remove them from the platform and put them back on the bases if for some reason you need to? Do the bases take any damage?

4. It looks like the peter pan and dumbo pieces could easily be expanded so that the set includes fantasyland too. Are there any plans for this (or maybe an it's a small world piece?)

Thanks for your help! I'm really excited to start my collection and hopefully not get too addicted... (which i'm sure i will)

• Disneyland Fan

Cool Re: Questions about the Main Street Set

Hello,
    Congratulations on your quest to start your Olszewski Main Street Collection.

1)Putting the platform together requires minimal skills. If you can read and follow instructions and if you know how to use a screwdriver, you can put the platform together.

"i'm not planning on doing any crazy modifications"- yeah, I know what you mean, that's for crazies

2)The best way to buy pieces is to purchase them as they are released. Keep an eye on Disneyland's Event Services website for future releases and pre-purchase opportunities. Once in awhile you may be able to find pieces for below retail price on ebay but it is getting harder to find good deals on ebay. Also, don't forget that you can always call delivEARS at (800) 362-4533 to see what they have in stock and purchase pieces over the phone.

Click Below For Disneyland's Event Services Website
    The Art of Disney Parks

3)The answer is yes, you can always remove the pieces from the bases and put them back, you just need to be careful with the wires for the lighting when you move them in and out. The bases are not damaged in any way when you remove the piece from it.

4)There are plans for future Fantasyland releases and even a platform. The best place for updates on releases is Cindy's Website.

I hope you find your endeavor enjoyable, once you acquire one piece you will be on your way towards completing your collection and depleting your pocketbook.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-15-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Full information on Olszewski collectibles available in MiceChat's Olszewski section
    Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

Re: Questions about the Main Street Set

Thanks for answering my questions! Your model is amazing! I am really excited to start my collection... well part of me is. another part of me is telling myself WHY DID YOU GET YOURSELF INTO THIS? I know once I start I won't be able to stop with just main street.... Oh well. I guess I'll start with this and see where it leads me. The whole skyway thing kind of scares me into thinking someday I might actually buy the whole park.... OA group here i come... but not just yet haha.

I do have one more question though.

Do you think it would be better to get the pieces as they first come out, or get the older pieces first? Is there any danger of them retiring pieces completely?

• Disneyland Fan

Thanks for your complement on the agidistrict model. I will be sure to let Jason know that you think it is amazing.

"Do you think it would be better to get the pieces as they first come out, or get the older pieces first? Is there any danger of them retiring pieces completely? "

You should try to do both. Buy older pieces and purchase the new ones as they are released. It may require some budget planning, but you should always buy the new pieces as they are released. The reason for this is that you do not know when or if Disney will place another order for the piece. Also, Disney tends to raise prices on subsequent re-releases. The Main Street pieces(along with the other attraction pieces) are open edition. But just because they are open edition does not mean that you can count on buying them in the future. All of the pieces will eventually be retired- I don't know when that will be and I don't think Mr. Olszewski nor Disney knows either so it's best to get yours when you can.
    Last edited by tahnee; 08-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Makes sense... i'll try and figure something out on my teenage budget. haha.... Not being able to have a real job stinks. Anyway. Thanks for answering my questions! but I have another one [surprise surprise... sorry about all these questions i'm just curious as to what i'm getting myself into (In a good way!!!!)]

What is the platform? Is it just the piece of wood that the pieces go into? or is it some kind of coffee table design with the glass on top that I keep seeing?

Thanks again! I keep getting more excited. I'm sure I'll go crazy when my first piece gets here.

• Disneyland Fan

Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. The Platform allows you to assemble your pieces together to replicate Main Street U.S.A. Here are some pictures of the Olszewski platform:

The picture above is from the Olszewski Studios website. You will need a table to support the Platform. I purchased a table from Costco for about $50. The Platform does not come with a coffee table or with any kind of glass(it's actually plexi-glass) cover. The photo you are probably seeing is one where the collector designed their own coffee table for the platform and purchased a plexi-glass cover for it. The platform is heavy (90lbs) and is made of resin, particle board and hard foam-like material and is surrounded by wood.

The link below will provide more information on the Platform:
    Main Street U.S.A. Platform Instructions

I'm glad that you are excited with starting your collection. It should be a fun and enjoyable endeavor. I like how each piece brings back memories of my experiences at the Park.
    Last edited by tahnee; 08-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Congratulations on starting your Olszewski collection! tahnee has given you great info and help. A couple of things I would like to add to her already excellent advice. Disney Delivears will be offering the Emporium in September and the Crystal Arcade in December. Both pieces have been out of stock for a while, so you might want to pick these two up when they arrive at Disney.

Olszewski Studios is currently taking deposits for their next platform run. I know it might be hard for you to order one now because you are still trying to put together a majority of the pieces. When they had less than 25 platforms left last year, I passed because I needed about 5 or so pieces to fill out Main Street. Travis told me that they are only going to order based on the exact amounts they need (in other words, little or no back stock due to the sheer size and volume of the platform). He says they will not do another run until 2011 or so. What got me a little worried was Robert stating in one of his videos that these platforms will not be available indefinitely, so if you can somehow afford it, order a platform! Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
    Last edited by forestlite; 09-03-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks for the extra input! I just ordered my town square piece from DelivEARS... very excited to get it!!! I'm truly amazed with the detail of the pieces. I was looking at the sign for the magic shop on my other piece, and was just blown away when i saw that they didn't just scribble on the sides of the sign with black print, they actually replicated the Jokes and Tricks Logos just as they are in the parks. It's so disney. Something you won't normally notice, but it's still there another detail for you to discover.
    I think I will try and take your tip about the platform... that was last on my list, but now that you say that it might be a good idea to just go for it when i get the money. I am just kinda unexcited about it because with 2 pieces I can't really do anything... and I don't have the space for it right now. But I suppose I could get it (i should have the money by 2011) and keep it in storage...

I'm just not sure in what order to get the pieces. I don't have loads of money sitting around, so it'll probably be a piece every 1-2 months... besides the platform, is there any particular order I should get them in? Should I just wait for deals on ebay, etc. (What i'd prefer) or do you have a list of priorties that would be the best idea?

I think tahnee summed it up pretty well in regards to buying strategies. Buy the pieces when first released as it guarantees you get it at issue price. As far as buying the older pieces, I would probably target the less popular pieces first (the more in-demand ones like Sleeping Beauty Castle, POTC, & Haunted Mansion probably have a better chance of being stocked more frequently by Disneyland) as they are less likely to be produced on a consistent basis. You probably have to kind of roll with the market and buy according to what is available. If you can get a good deal on Ebay and that meant foregoing buying a current release, I would do it. So I think your plan is a good one, wait for a good price on Ebay, and if nothing occurs, pick up the newest release when offered. I believe the Alice/Mr. Toad ride is coming in the next few months, so maybe ask for it as an early Christmas gift?

Again, I understand your mixed feelings over the platform as that was my situation last year. Maybe you should wait for the next run and are sure that you will complete your collection. I think having a majority of the pieces and no platform is better than having a half filled platform.

If there is anyway I can help you, let me know. I can also keep an eye out for you on good deals.
    Last edited by forestlite; 09-04-2009 at 10:45 AM.

• Disneyland Fan

Thumbs up Re: Questions about the Main Street Set

"As far as buying the older pieces, I would probably target the less popular pieces first (the more in-demand ones like Sleeping Beauty Castle, POTC, & Haunted Mansion probably have a better chance of being stocked more frequently by Disneyland) as they are less likely to be produced on a consistent basis. "

That's a good point forestlite. Disney is always thinking dollars and sense or is it dollars and cents? Disney will order what's in demand because they want to make money.

Thanks again for the help! This can be pretty confusing for a person just getting started... (me!) My plan is to try and get the Alice/Toad piece this November/December, along with any other deals I can find... part of my spending money will be saved for the platform, and part will go to any pieces being released/I can find...

What is the deal with the train for the set? Is there an official train for the set? I heard something about a LE 1955 train...

Are there any pictures of prototypes or finished products of the Alice/Toad piece?

(Thanks again for the help!!!)

No pictures of a prototype for the Alice/Toad piece has yet been released. Robert will be at the D23 expo so we might see something there.

The train was a very limited edition released several years ago. It is hard to find and very expensive when one appears on Ebay. There has been talk of a holiday edition for a while, but that seems to be on indefinite hold. You can use a generic model to run around the platform. tahnee can probably give you better info as far as scale and model type.

• Disneyland Fan

The 2005 limited edition Bachmann n-scale 50th Anniversary Disneyland train set has long been sold out. It's the same train set as Bachmann's Prairie Flyer(except with a different paint job) which currently sells for about $110. For the Olszewski platform you will need an n-scale or a z-scale train.

I received my Town Square and it was very cool... except it didn't light up! So it's on it's way back to Anaheim.... and I'm hoping you could answer another question for me... Wasn't there supposed to be a small dedication plaque on the bottom of the flagpole? i've seen pictures of it... but it wasn't there. was it only on the first edition piece?
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by Epcot2000; 09-17-2009 at 01:36 PM.

• Disneyland Fan

Sorry that you had to return Town Square. I'm hoping that you saw that the light switch is under the popcorn cart? As for the dedication plaque, it's more like a sticker and it probably fell off on the piece that you received.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast