• 2nd Twin

Stretching Portraits

We (DisneyTwins and I, I'm his twin) just bought 4 of the Haunted Mansion stretching portraits. I'm wondering if anybody knows how we'd go about framing them. And how expensive is it?

Re: Stretching Portraits

Woh, I bought those a day ago too! what a coincidence!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Doombuggies.com Member

I had my portraits framed this year and they were fairly expensive to frame. I bought them 10 to 15 years ago and they are about 5 feet long on a heavy stock paper. I recommend not to have them matted so they have more of a painting look. Depending on the frame and if you use plexi or just glass you could be looking at around 2-3K to frame the set individually. Also make sure you have plenty of wall space to hang them.
    Last edited by Doombuggygal; 09-02-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by StaySeatedPlease View Post
    We (DisneyTwins and I, I'm his twin) just bought 4 of the Haunted Mansion stretching portraits. I'm wondering if anybody knows how we'd go about framing them. And how expensive is it?
    Where did you get the portraits from?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisisHalloween View Post
    Where did you get the portraits from?
    Please ignore my ?, I see it was DelivEars. Thanks.

Correct! Sorry about the delay!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'm curious about the size of the prints you have, and are they on different sheets, or all on one page. In Club 33 they had a small version of all four portraits framed and matted in the same frame. If they are larger, you would really need to frame them separately. AND one of the main questions you want to take into consideration is where you are planning on hanging the pictures. If you wanted to hang them on different walls, obviously you would need to frame them individually. I could imagine seeing them hung in on a wall next to a stairway, with each portrait hanging a little higher than the next ~ that would be cool.

Of course, the most fun way to hang them, would be to design a way to cover up the bottom portion of each picture, BUT have a way that you could "stretch" the bottom portion of the frame up and down ~ I haven't figured out a way to do that with a standard frame. I suppose, if you didnt' place glass in the frame, you might be able to use a metal frame, two u shaped frames (one u and one n, so that one would be slightly smaller than the other, so one could fit in the other, on both sides.) Then a "u" and and "n" matting for both parts of the frame. Attach the matte to the frames, rather than securing it to the picture. You would want to have a real wide margin for the matte at the top and the bottom, enough that the bottom part of the matte would be long enough to cover the bottom part of each picture. An to balance out the look of the portraits, you would want to have the same margin at the top portion of the frame, too - even though it wouldn't be hiding anything.