Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

COST of plexiglass platform cover

I live in Minnesota. So far I have been given 2 quotes of over $800 for a plexiglass cover for my main street platform. That's a lot more than I was expecting, especially considering that a company in CA is selling them for a little over $300. What prices have people had to pay in other parts of the country? And where? (City, State, name of Co., etc.) I'd be willing to drive a day or so to save money on a platform! Any help you can offer would be appreciated! Thanks. Tiki God
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

I actually have avoided the cover for the cost reasons once the economy turned south. Trust me, dust does collect, but I just can't afford it. The 300 figure sounds about right here in KY, but it could be higher. Also, be aware, you may want to hold off if you want to put Fantasyland and Main Street together. Otherwise, you're re-buying a cover with expenses added in and have an existing cover that no longer fits.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Yeah just got the platform for our collection.. Anyone know a trick to get Sleeping beauty's castle off her base?

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    Yeah just got the platform for our collection.. Anyone know a trick to get Sleeping beauty's castle off her base?
    Yes - carefully.

Seriously, it's a two-person job. Make sure one person is holding the castle by it's walls while the second removes the screws from the base and battery pack, then disconnects the wires. Then, apply the footers and one person can just connect the wires to the lighting rig and put the castle in place.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

well the one we have wont come off, we both have held it and tried to pull it off it wont come off at all. lol sigh.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

well the one we have wont come off, we both have held it and tried to pull it off it wont come off at all. lol sigh.
    Odd... make sure all the screws are removed from the four footers. But beyond that, contact the Olszewski Studios. Maybe they have some ideas.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Yeah all the screws are removed, this one is a special one signed by Olszewski back in 2004 i HIGHLY doubt it is any different from the ones they sell today.

The battery slot inside did you have to remove any screws from that?

Yeah all the screws are removed, this one is a special one signed by Olszewski back in 2004 i HIGHLY doubt it is any different from the ones they sell today.

The battery slot inside did you have to remove any screws from that?
    No, those screws are mounted on the bottom of the battery compartment, same as the four screws on the foots. Once all the screws are out, the four in the footers and the four on the battery compartment, you should be fine.

• Disneyland Fan

We just use a light dust cover like the ones sold for painters to cover the floors while they're painting(available at any hardware store)- it works fine and we can easily remove it when we want to display our platform for ourselves or our guests. The plexiglass cover is not only expensive but it looks heavy and cumbersome to move IMHO.
    Last edited by tahnee; 12-30-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by tahnee View Post
    We just use a light dust cover like the ones sold for painters to cover the floors while they're painting(available at any hardware store)- it works fine and we can easily remove it when we want to display our platform for ourselves or our guests. The plexiglass cover is not only expensive but it looks heavy and cumbersome to move IMHO.
    Good idea Tahnee! I was planning on getting a plexi cover, but with the future release of the Fantasyland platform, it just does not make sense to invest in one until I am sure of the layout and final dimensions. That dust cover is an excellent temporary solution.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Think the castle platform has one still not able to get it off its base. lol.

Think the castle platform has one still not able to get it off its base. lol.
    I'm stumped. If the screws are out, it should come right out. Contact Olszewski or Disney for advice at this point.

Because my platform table is right next to some stairs, and my new puppy loves to lie on them and stare at Main Street, I've decided to go ahead and order an acrylic cover (I have visions of her chomping on the Astro Orbiter or just jumping onto the plaform). I got a quote for $585.00 with 1/4" thickness (I know the Olszewski site recommends 3/8', but that increases the cost just shy of a grand. The person I talked to said the reason is that they are probably worried about sagging over time. However, he has built cases larger than the platform dimensions and has never had a problem).

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Because my platform table is right next to some stairs, and my new puppy loves to lie on them and stare at Main Street, I've decided to go ahead and order an acrylic cover (I have visions of her chomping on the Astro Orbiter or just jumping onto the plaform). I got a quote for $585.00 with 1/4" thickness (I know the Olszewski site recommends 3/8', but that increases the cost just shy of a grand. The person I talked to said the reason is that they are probably worried about sagging over time. However, he has built cases larger than the platform dimensions and has never had a problem).
    Ouch, but makes total sense. Only thing I'd worry about is what to do in a year when you have to tack on another 2 1/2 feet for Fantasyland. That being said, having a curious one year old cat at my home, I have the same issues. She actually got up on the front of the platform yesterday and has been kept out of the room ever since.

The idea of sagging is something I hadn't thought about and the larger the piece gets, or longer, if you prefer, I do start to wonder how big an issue it may or may not be over time. We'll just have to see.

I was going to hold off until the Fantasyland base was issued, but based on my available space, it would block access to the stairs. Unless I move Main Street out of my collector room, the various lands will have to be on their own.

I feel for you about your cat, curious pets and collectibles don't mix well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast