Fiber optics and LEDs?

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this vision I have. I have a little Disney theme park set up, as well as my (slowly growing) monorail setup. I'm always looking to add new things to the sets, to make them more interesting. Whether it's characters, new pieces, anything. Lately I've been thinking about installing lighting in some of the sets... and realized that I'm absolutely clueless about electrical anything.

I'm particularly looking for a guide on how to do 2 things: Area Lighting and Fiber optic Fireworks. Area lighting would be using something like LED because they have to be small. I'd also like the be able to have a "control board" with all of the switches to each of the lights, instead of having to pick the lights up off the set and turn them on/off.

I also saw a video on youtube...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0o-26Wg6Q"]YouTube - Walt Disney World-Living Room_12-08.mov[/ame]

In which the person created fiber optic fireworks for the fantasmic set.

Could anyone help me with this, or point me to a guide for this?

• Insert Hilarious Title

Re: Fiber optics and LEDs?

This might not be as helpful as hoped, but I have done some LED and fiber optic work with gaming miniatures (Warhammer) for displays and in game pieces. I learned everything I could by going to hobby shops that carry model trains and RC cars. They tend to have guides or books that may help, as well as kits and supplies. You also may find someone with the knowledge there to help you with your questions.

Also, Spencers (and mall stores like it) tend to sell fiber optic display pieces cheap. Great source for cables and battery-sourced lights.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out a hobby store somewhere around here. I have seen some of the fiber optic things around, but i'm not really sure how easily they could be taken apart (if they can) and things like that, so i never bought one.

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out a hobby store somewhere around here. I have seen some of the fiber optic things around, but i'm not really sure how easily they could be taken apart (if they can) and things like that, so i never bought one.
    They are pretty easy to disassemble. Even the electronics involved are pretty simple. You don't have to be an engineer to learn the minor stuff. Hope it works out.

The video link in my signature shows that I am using two fiber optic set ups for my fireworks. One is a simple fiber optic lamps that can be found at many stores exactly like this one Lumisource LS-FO Spray Party Lights LED Fiber Optic Table Lamp,. It is simply pushed up against my backdrop causing teh fibers to fan out, giving the illusion of fireworks. The base and stand are not used only the actual lamp is laid sideways inside of a styrafoam base that the castle rests on. The lamp has a setting to a fade the colors automatically or leave them on steady.

The burst fireworks are actually manufactured that way by Department 56 to be used as fireworks in their village displays. You can still get overstock pieces online but it hasn't been made since 2004(replacement bulbs are still available directly through D56) It even has a switch to turn the sound on and off, you can hear them launch then burst in sync with the effect. I leave them turned off only cause it is too difficult to reach in and flip the switch without disturbing the rest of the display.
    Department 56: Product Search Results - "Fiber Optic Fireworks"

I haven't gotten around to doing the video yet for 2009's display, these pics are from 2009 the fireworks set up has not changed.

This video is from 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0"]YouTube - 2008 Christmas village Disney and Department 56[/ame]

The star effect on the back ground is actually just a strand of regular white christmas lights randomly draped across cardboard mounted to the table then covered with a navy blue velvet cloth.

• Insert Hilarious Title

Cool. Another source for lights. Thank you.

Nice setup.