Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinylmation

1 20.00%
  • Pin Trading

4 80.00%

• I love Disney

Vinylmation vs Pin Trading

When I went to WDW 3 years ago Pin Trading was defiantly in style. Now just coming back after a week at WDW it looks like the buzz has died a lot and is shifting towards Vinylmation. So is Vinylmation the death of Pin trading. Which do you prefer.
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Re: Vinylmation vs Pin Trading

Pins.

They're more unique because they aren't all shaped like Mickey.

And there is even Vinylmation Pins.

PINS

I really don't get the whole Vinylmation thing... To each his/her own.
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

• mountains beyond mtns.

As someone who collects both, I think I can offer a few thoughts...

All of the many, many Vinylmation releases notwithstanding, Condiment Bottles, Big Eyes, Sports, Have a Laugh, Vinylmation jr., Vinylmation is still much more of a niche product than pins. What I mean by that is that anyone can find a pin that they'll like. With the vinyls, it seems like if you don't like them, it doesn't matter what the design is.

From the marketing and product development standpoint, Vinylmation has tossed everything and the kitchen sink out there in order to see what sells and what doesn't. Hence, all the many, many different releases that I mentioned earlier. Now because it's still a work in progress to some degree, the Limited Edition vinylmation release events have often been disastrous and plagued by under estimating demand and therefore setting the edition sizes far too low. In those instances where the limited edition set is split between DL and WDW, it has tended to be something like 75-80% of the sets going to WDW and 25-20% going to DL.

In short, collecting vinylmation can be problematic for the hard core collector but equally as problematic for casual collectors. Even with Cast Member trading in the parks, the blind boxing of most vinylmations series is most likely a deterrent to many. The recent appearance of some series with clear window boxes would suggest that Marketing is taking a hard look if that will improve sales any bit.

Alright I've probably bored everyone to death so I'll end my contribution to the discussion for the time being.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

^^^
    Agreed, and so I treat Vinylmation the same way i do pins: Buy what I like. Made harder by the blind boxes, but I only buy series I like or only a few if I only like a few in the series. I can always trade if I get one I don't like.

I am a huge pin collector, and when Vinylmation first came out, I spent a lot of my pin money on Vinylmations because there were a lot that I liked.

And now that there aren't very many series I like out, when i go to WDW in a few months, I'll be mostly buying pins - there re some great ones coming out!!

I don;t think this will be the death of pin collecting... I think that crazy people and Disney not caring about scrappers are worse for it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...