Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New Olszewski Collector Here - Have Questions!!

Nice to see the Yahoo! group migrating here. Obviously it was my old stomping grounds but to be honest, I was left feeling pretty unwelcome for a variety of reasons.

If and when it comes up, you must get Dumbo, Schnoogans, the photos do not do the beauty of the piece or its lighting justice. I would argue it's the most beautiful of all the Olzsewskis pieces to date.

As for the right table size, I have Main Street on a six foot folding table with no cover (starving college student). I probably will either get a four foot table and just put them end to end or see about a 10 foot table. I do not relish having to move a fully assembled Main Street though.

Matt, so you are going for the connecting bases? Me too, but not sure how I'm going to squeeze that length into my existing collector room (unless people want to crawl under the table to get through to the other side). I may have to end up going with a ten foot table run, but believe me, that unused foot makes a big difference to me. Wonder if I can saw a hole in one of the walls....

I'm thinking about building a 9 foot long dresser for my bedroom to place the platforms on. My living room is quite small, but I have a very large bedroom - and a back door that comes into it directly (which would be good should I go with a 9 foot cover of some kind.

Whatever happens, I will likely end up with a custom "main street" coffee table that I'd be willing to sell off pretty cheap if anyone is interested.

Hey, do you need some vacation time in Hawaii? Maybe while you're here, you could help me build a nine foot table...LOL!

I would love to drop this platform in my living room, but my wife is not a Disney fan. Are you going to order an acrylic cover for the connected bases?

I don't even want to think what's going to happen if Disney approves a New Orleans or Tomorrowland platform....

Ha, I'd have to bring my dad along to Hawaii, I couldn't have done it without him. Robert put up some pics of it on his website back when we first built it...

Andrew Bare Coffee Table

As for the rest of the park - I would have to think things will get very tricky. I would have to imagine they would break the rest of the park up into 4 more platforms, but to do any of them, they would pretty much need a plan for all of them to keep everything balanced. For instance, if they move onto "northern" Tomorrowland next as is rumored, whatever width they went with would pretty much set the width for Frontierland. I don't think they can release another platform without at least a plan of action for the whole park.

I do think hitting up a Eastern Fantasyland/Northern Tomorrowland area next would make the most sense. You have four very marketable and doable pieces in Small World, Matterhorn, Autopia, and the Submarines. The Autopia piece could be condensed like the Jungle Cruise, with additional pieces available to expand it out on the platform. It seems like the easiest area to tackle next.

As for a New Orleans platform - I don't know if that really makes sense. It would be somewhat oddly shaped and seems like in the big scheme it would be better off incorporated into a larger platform with Adventureland. I think it makes more sense to just do the entire park as a series of 6 platforms.

WOW! Andrew, that was your table??? That's the one I wanted to custom build if I had the skills. Tell your dad a first class ticket to Hawaii is on the way...

Interesting theory you have regarding the 6 platforms. I want a New Orleans but agree with your assessment of its size and shape. At this point, an entire park is still just a strong hope of mine, and I won't really feel its a good bet until I see the Matterhorn up for sale.

The pieces I really want are the Golden Horseshoe Review, Carousel of Progress, Splash Mountain, and Primeval World. I was crushed when Primeval World was put of the "hold" list, but I hear it is moving back towards a strong possibility.

Okay, I admit it...I just want the entire park. And for Bob to move on to DCA, Epcot, Disney Studios, and Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea!

Thanks for the compliment on the table. The table has been a lot of fun, but the idea of seeing Fantasyland connected to Main Street is pretty fun as well. I did love the look of the Fantasyland platform on its own - starting with the castle up front (and threw around the idea of maybe just that as a side table), but really don't want to re-buy three Main Street pieces! I'm sure my dad would be more than happy to build you a table if you flew him to Hawaii!

If they give up on the park as a whole, a New Orleans platform would be great to have. It could make a neat little side table. I'm just holding out hope for the whole park to this point. It really wouldn't take much. The areas left to finish don't really have that many attractions - they just have BIG attractions.

Name:  DL_Disneyland_Resort_Aerial.1280 copy.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  197.0 KB

This is pretty much how I imagine it would go anyway. The left and right sides should probably be compressed width-wise by at least a third, but this would give a pretty good plan I think for some cool platforms. The only thing is the upper left platform doesn't have much aside from the top portion of the Rivers and Big Thunder. The bottom portion would be a killer platform though with almost all of adventureland, frontierland and new orleans square packed in. I would see the upper left as the last bit completed for park completists as it would mainly be a lot of tree packs.

What do you guys think? How do you envision this all coming together?

That picture definitely gives a better idea of what to expect and the parameters of what can be done. That upper left platform is definitely problematic. I didn't realize that it pretty much would only contain Big Thunder Mountain. I wonder if Bob would consider expanding the Jungle Cruise (but then what do you do with the original self contained release).

This may sound stupid, but how does Toon Town figure into this or is it not considered canon in terms of the original Disneyland layout?

Well, based off all the news and chats and releases from Bob, if there will be another connected platform, tea leaves say Tomorrowland since people are begging for the Matterhorn, we need the eastern anchor for the Skyway, the retro pieces have been pointing Tomorrowland for a while and last but not least, it is logically the only way to get Small World in, which collectors want.

As for Toon Town, no one has said 'no', but it is not being talked up much at these events, not the same way Tomorrowland or NOS have been anyway. Bob took measurements of the entire park and given the whole miniature is current Disneyland, it would be an incomplete collection without Toon Town. The only problem is making it desirable, since shops are always a brutal sell point. I remember how Main Street always sold the Castle, the Plaza, Town Square, the Train Station, City Hall and the Opera House. Beyond that, it could sometimes be VERY hard to sell people on them really needing the pieces.

My personal wish list? Naturally, Matterhorn leads the list with my next choice being Big Thunder. Finishing the Jungle Cruise would probably be third, with the Subs and the Columbia rounding out the top five. If we're talking 'lands', Tomorrowland would be my choice for the next one, provisionally. What I would like are releases of Tomorrowland that would be both modern and retro so you could choose how the land looks on your platform, either all retro, all modern or a combo of both. NOS is next with Frontierland being my third pick.

I had assumed that Toon Town was just out - as well as the Princess Fantasy Faire, mainly because they have moved in the railroad tracks to just behind Storybook Land that are intended to wrap around all of the platforms. I'm fairly okay with that. I don't see this all as an exact scale model of Disneyland anyway, it is more of an artistic representation of the spirit of Disneyland - which I think gives a lot of room for leeway on areas and attractions included and left out.

I have to guess they will need to take some artistic leeway with the placement of Small World, you would think they would need to pull it in closer to Storybook given the placement of the train tracks. It will be interesting to see if they try to run the train tracks through the piece, and how that affects the train tracks going around the outside edge of the park.

I agree that based on things I have read and heard from others that the Northern part of Tomorrowland would be a real contender for the next area to do. I believe that Disney has expressed interest in at least 3 of the 4 major pieces in that area (Autopia, Matterhorn, and Small World) and I think all of those, including the Submarines, would be popular pieces to those just buying one or two pieces as well as the completists. They may also want to do the sky buckets sooner rather than later and that would give us the other "loading area" for that potentially. I just have to think the Matterhorn would be coming soon after the Carrousel, we've been teased with it for too long! I think all of the mountains are just necessary - even if they end up being around a thousand dollar price point (which Big Thunder - if done somewhat to scale - would almost have to be).

Indiana Jones is a piece I don't think I have seen mentioned by really anyone that I think could be a really gorgeous piece.
    Last edited by schnoogans37; 08-19-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schnoogans37 View Post
    I had assumed that Toon Town was just out - as well as the Princess Fantasy Faire, mainly because they have moved in the railroad tracks to just behind Storybook Land that are intended to wrap around all of the platforms. I'm fairly okay with that. I don't see this all as an exact scale model of Disneyland anyway, it is more of an artistic representation of the spirit of Disneyland - which I think gives a lot of room for leeway on areas and attractions included and left out.

I have to guess they will need to take some artistic leeway with the placement of Small World, you would think they would need to pull it in closer to Storybook given the placement of the train tracks. It will be interesting to see if they try to run the train tracks through the piece, and how that affects the train tracks going around the outside edge of the park.

I agree that based on things I have read and heard from others that the Northern part of Tomorrowland would be a real contender for the next area to do. I believe that Disney has expressed interest in at least 3 of the 4 major pieces in that area (Autopia, Matterhorn, and Small World) and I think all of those, including the Submarines, would be popular pieces to those just buying one or two pieces as well as the completists. They may also want to do the sky buckets sooner rather than later and that would give us the other "loading area" for that potentially. I just have to think the Matterhorn would be coming soon after the Carrousel, we've been teased with it for too long! I think all of the mountains are just necessary - even if they end up being around a thousand dollar price point (which Big Thunder - if done somewhat to scale - would almost have to be).

Indiana Jones is a piece I don't think I have seen mentioned by really anyone that I think could be a really gorgeous piece.
    Well, I would be interested to see how the Subs and Matterhorn are developed since Bob has said he wants to include the Monorail track with both pieces, plus potential intergration of the Skyway as well. So, technically, four attractions in two pieces, five with the PeopleMover track.

And at least as far as Bob is projecting, Small World would be included in Northern Tomorrowland as well. The large gap of space between Book and Small World is the reason why Small World got shifted over. Add in Autopia (which, like you said, Disney is asking for) and you have a very dynamic and appealing section of the park.

And expensive. Sub Lagoon will be sizable, Matterhorn will be the tallest of all the Olzsewski pieces to date, plus all the detail...

Aw, dammit, why did we have to bring this up? You got me drooling!

As for Indy, actually I always pictured the piece as being simple, the majority being the queue while the attraction being represented by insert boxes. It's worked well for Fantasyland.

Hello!

Man haven't posted on here in a while! You guys have me anticipating the mountains... and my wallet is extremely scared. But they'd be so amazing, especially Big Thunder.

I do have a question for you guys: Where can I find some of the pieces that aren't available that much anymore? I need from CastleBrothers/Penny Arcade down the street toward the castle (excluding the castle). However, I've called delivEARS, checked ebay, everything, and I can't seem to find anyone selling those particular pieces! I kind of need to find some of these pieces, as Christmas is coming, and I can't ask "santa" for them if I can't find them!

DelivEARS actually told me that all the pieces I ask about are either not in the database or discontinued.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks and Happy Collecting!
    Matt
    Matt!

• Yay Mickey!!

Hi Matt,
    I am in the same boat as you. The south end of my Main Street is looking good, the north end a little bare. I do not believe the pieces have been discontinued, just not available right now. Robert and Disney have brought pieces back from time to time, as they are open ended editions. Not that this helps much for Christmas this year, I just wait for replenishments to appear and hope I can afford them at that time.

-Justin

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysImagination View Post
    Hi Matt,
    I am in the same boat as you. The south end of my Main Street is looking good, the north end a little bare. I do not believe the pieces have been discontinued, just not available right now. Robert and Disney have brought pieces back from time to time, as they are open ended editions. Not that this helps much for Christmas this year, I just wait for replenishments to appear and hope I can afford them at that time.

-Justin
    Correct. They aren't discontinued and 'could' be reissued at any time. However, I think the focus is on the attractions which have sold much better than most of the Main Street pieces.

Sadly, a lot of those Main Street Olszewski's ended up sold at 50% off or more at Company D and Character Warehouse.

Your best bet is to set Ebay alerts so you won't miss anyone selling one of the pieces you really want.

I'm lucky to have a complete collection at this point. However, I haven't decided whether or not to buy the platforms. I just don't have room in my house!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast