Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New Olszewski Collector Here - Have Questions!!

I just purchased my first Olszewski piece and have some questions that I hope some of you big time collectors can answer for me. The first piece of my collection is the Haunted Mansion. First of all let me say that this piece is incredible. The detail of this piece is breathtaking! I do however have a couple of questions...

1 - Do I need to use 4 double AA batteries and the adaptor in order for the piece to light up?

2 - Is there an on/off button on the piece that turns the lights on/off? If so, where is it?

3 - Are there any issues or functions on the piece that I should watch out for?

-I look forward to hearing back from all you collectors. Any and all information you can give me about this piece would be most appreciated. I fully plan on building my collection over the next couple of years but wanted to start with my favorite piece - The Haunted Mansion!!!

Re: New Olszewski Collector Here - Have Questions!!

Welcome to the party! You picked a great piece to start with and hopefully it will lead to more.

To answer your questions:

1. No, one or the other works. The batteries will cause the lights to be a tad dimmer verses the current off the plug, but one or the other works.

2. The light switch for the Haunted Mansion is located under the fire plug on the left side of the piece. Simply pressing down on the plug activates the lights and works to deactivate them as well.

3. I am unaware of any issues, just be careful handing the piece with the weather vane attached as that can be snapped off easily. As for functions, I believe you may be aware of the Streaching Room being activated by pressing down on the cupola at the top of the house, so there is that. The display scenes for inside the house can also be stored and lit using shadow boxes available through Olszewski Studios (Disney Main Street, U.S.A. Accessory "Haunted Mansion Scene Light Display") at $25. You would need three to display all three boxes.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks so much for the help with this piece and answering all of my questions. It truly is a beautiful piece that I will treasure forever!

Looks like I have a new hobby on my hands now! And since Disneyland is like a second home to me, it's only right that I collect the place that I love so much.

Would you have any suggestions for pieces that I should watch out for and try to obtain first? Are there certain pieces that are harder to find than others?

I'm so excited to be a part of the Olszewski collector family now! This should be fun!!!

Well, fantastic to hear. Just be careful, this can be one very expensive hobby to be involved with. But one I can relate to, I have all the Olszewski pieces myself.

Well, here is the good news about the collection - Olszewski Studios is personally committed to everyone having an opportunity to get the big pieces. Even if they are currently sold out, you will get a chance to collect them at some point. To that end, I highly recommend you going to Olszewskistudios.com and getting on their mailing list as they keep track of availability and will send out emails from time to time to gauge interest or need in the pieces.

Given I have not been in the park since 2006, I do not know what is, what is not and what is in and what is out. Given Fantasyland is nearing completion, you may want to start with those pieces, especially with Pinocchio being released in August. On the other hand, if Main Street intrigues you, start there. Or even attractions. It is your collection, your choice.

Now, personally, the pieces I recommend for collectors:

Sleeping Beauty Castle. It is a gorgeous piece with lights on or off, plus details like the Time Castle plaque in the forecourt and the rivet in the Courtyard are captured, plus the roof comes off one of the turrets to reveal a tribute to the Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough. And, of course, the hidden Mickey on the castle. It goes with either Fantasyland or Main Street or both and everyone loves it.

Central Plaza. I'm a sucker for Partners anyway and the recreation of the popcorn lights in the trees is fantastic. Plus, last I heard, relatively inexpensive.

City Hall. Just looks wonderful lit up, plus you have the removable roof to look into Walt's Apartment. The lighting is also set up so you have the light coming out of Walt's window.

As for Fantasyland, I'm a huge fan of Dumbo and the Mad Tea Party. Detail on the pieces is fantastic and the lighting just really makes them pop.

As for the rare stuff, the only really rare stuff are the accessory packs that were originally released back in 2004 and 2005. This included stuff like the Horse-Drawn Streetcar, the Omnibus, the Yellow Horseless Carriage and a variety of CMs from the Main Street Marching Band to the Disney Princesses to Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto. These have all been discontinued, as far as I know, but there has been talk for the last five years or so about bringing the accessories back to market in bigger packs. We're supposed to get more word on that shortly, so who knows.

I know I just threw a lot at you to digest so just ask questions, I'll slow down and see what I can do to help. Again, enjoy the collecting. Wait until you see it all put together.

Oh, and in case you do, some photos of my own collection: Olszewski pictures by MattPeriolat - Photobucket and http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...ki%20Platform/
    Last edited by WarriorPoets; 07-18-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Forgot a link

• Yay Mickey!!

Hi Matt,
    I was enjoying the photos of your collection. It appears to me that you have designed your platform for Main Street. I too am just starting to layout and design a platform as well. If I may ask what did you use for dimensions for the overall length, width, etc. for Main Street. At one point,I had taken some informal measurements of the actual Main Street, but that was in '05 and not really sure where they went.

Thanks,
    Justin

Actually, no, the platform was created by the Olszewski studios, not me. The measurements are 6 ft long by 2 1/2 ft wide. Olszewski Studios SHOULD be taking orders for more platforms in the next year or so, but Fantasyland will come first.

• Yay Mickey!!

Thanks fir the reply. I didn't realize that the Olszweski platform was made from Masonite. Originally it was my intent to buy his, as I felt the price reasonable, though I was led to believe that shipping was expensive.

Justin

I thought the platform was resin, not masonite. And the thing weights 75 pounds, it is going to cost a little more to ship, but that is just the situation. Bob Olzsewski actually herniated his back helping move the platforms for the original shipments.

WarriorPoets,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the great information you have given me about this incredible collection.

I've taken my Haunted Mansion piece out of the box several times to plug it in and just sit back and stare at it!

As for future purchases. I'm leaning towards the Central Plaza next. I just love that "Partners" statue and think that piece would look great lit up!

I do have a question for you though if you dont mind..

I purchased my Haunted Mansion piece off of the disney store website which was great because the shipping was FREE! And while I was on there, I noticed that there were several other pieces available. However, when I got back on there today, there were no pieces available! Do they add pieces to the site from time to time? Should I just check back on a daily basis to see if anything has been added? I dont mind if I have no choice but to call the Disneyland Resort and place my order there. But I know I'll pay for shipping too. And the Resort does not combine shipping. So I'll have to pay seperate shipping for each and every piece. The nice thing about the disney store website is that shipping is free on any purchase over $100. Which that isn't hard to spend considering this collection!

I look forward to hearing back from you and thanks once again for all of your help so far! I'm sure I'll be talking to you a lot and will have many more questions over time!

I honestly am not sure about the website. I know pieces come and go based off of stock, but most people I have worked with usually go through DIsney with DelivEars to get their pieces. Trade secret - with a Disney Chase Visa card, there is a discount that usually covers the cost of shipping. That and Premium AP discounts are also covered.

Hang on to your pennies for a bit though. Pinocchio is supposed to be released sometime between August 19-23 at the D23 Expo. Preorder SHOULD be up before then, but not clear. Depends on if you want to do Fantasyland or not.

Feel free to ask question and I will try to answer. I am a bit out of the loop, but have some experience.

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

I'm also a new Oszewski Collector and my first piece was the Disneyland Railroad Station. It is fun hearing about the Haunted Mansion. That one is for sure on my wish list. Question about the lighting... when I turn the lights on the DL Train Station they don't stay on forever, maybe only lasting about 20 mins. Does that sound right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Yay Mickey!!

Quote Originally Posted by KeepnLuciferHuntn View Post
    I'm also a new Oszewski Collector and my first piece was the Disneyland Railroad Station. It is fun hearing about the Haunted Mansion. That one is for sure on my wish list. Question about the lighting... when I turn the lights on the DL Train Station they don't stay on forever, maybe only lasting about 20 mins. Does that sound right?
    I believe this question came up in these forums some time back. My question to you, are you running from the batteries or the AC adapter (power brick)? Not having ever taken my pieces apart to look at the lighting circuit, it is possible that when running from battery power that there is a timer circuit to preserve battery life.

BTW welcome to the hobby. These are wonderful pieces.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by KeepnLuciferHuntn View Post
    More like 15 but, for the most part, yes, the pieces are on timers. While the LED lights should, in theory, last forever, the lights in the lampposts will burn out over time. They can be replaced with blubs from a hobby shop, but the idea of preserving the originals for as long as possible.

Still debating on what my next piece is going to be. I'm leaning towards the Pirates of the Caribbean just because it is truly one of if not my favorite ride in the park. But Central Plaza and City Hall are still very interesting pieces too.

I do have some information though for collectors out there that are looking for certain things. I know someone who has several of the character packs and main street vehicles and may be looking to sell them. I know he has the "fab five" pack available. As well as the horse-drawn streetcar and yellow carriage and omnibus. And I believe he also has the marching band too. I'm still waiting to hear back from him to see what kind of prices he's looking for on any of these things. If anyone is interested in any of these, please let me know. And I'll get back to you as soon as I have a price list for this stuff.

Now back to the more important topic: My collection!! LOL.

If anyone can give me some additional reasons other then my own to purchase the Pirates of the Caribbean piece, please feel free to share. I'm always interested to hear from other collectors about pieces from this set, and why they purchased certain ones for themself.

Good Luck with your collecting everyone! I look forward to hearing back from you all!!

Well, I hardly think I need to trumpet POTC, but in addition to the wonderful detail on the inserts and the lighting, do not forget the roof comes off to see inside to see what the apartments would have looked like had Walt lived to see them completed. Just a nice touch.

Oh and the lighting on the piece is gorgeous too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast