D23 Expo news bits

Well, all I am hearing so far is being leaked out through Cindy's twitter. Just so everyone knows where the news is coming from.

I will not just cut and paste, but I will touch on a few key things. To be honest, because of Twitter limitations, it is a little hard to decipher the news here anyway. First off, and most key for us collectors, sometime within the next three to four weeks, preorders for the Fantasyland platform will be going up at Bob's site with the price point currently being between $375-400. Not bad, honestly, especially given how much Pinocchio is going for. Delivery should be around January and February of 2012. Cindy did also talk about accessory and tree packs, but no word yet on a lighting kit. One assumes that is because of all the electrical still to be done between the four remaining pieces and the Skyway.

Now, I said in a post yesterday that I thought Cindy had buried the lead and I still believe that for one simple reason: until now, I had heard nothing about two (actually three) pieces that were shown as prototypes today. I have consistently said "I'm not doing Walt Disney World miniatures" since I lack the emotional connection to the park and I've only been there twice. One piece shown today made my resolve buckle - the 20K Leagues Under the Sea submarine. It just looks too awesome not to get, plus you get two for the price of one: a version in the water and one next to it up on stands out of the water. Ah, yes, I do believe I will be buying that! Also something not talked about at all is Bob is doing miniatures of the new Disney cruise ships, the Dream and the Fantasy. Bit concerned about price, but boy they are pretty. Would love to see Bob do the Magic and Wonder as well so we could have all four.

That's all the "big" news to my mind. Cindy has already tweeted some nice photos but I look forward to either her or others (hint, hint) offering in depth analysis of the platform, the prototypes and all the other news. Moreover, I would really like to know how Pinocchio is selling. We've heard that tickets for D23 tomorrow are sold out, so that's a good sign for foot traffic, so let us hope that translates out to sales.

That's my analysis of what we know so far. Comments? Thoughts? Wallets opening yet?

Re: D23 Expo news bits

What a wealth of info and pics just from Cindy's Twitter feed. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it all check it out.

The Disney cruise ship was a total surprise. At first I thought it was about 6 feet long until I saw the magic kingdom sign behind it and got a little perspective. That is going to be a great piece for anyone looking for a great cruise souvenir.

The final Fantasyland platform is just gorgeous. The size of Storybook Land is really becoming a reality to me now. Is that piece going to be shippable to us out of staters (at a reasonable cost)? I may have to make a cross country drive to pick that one up. That box is going to be HUGE.

I'm a little concerned about the "park" area placeholder for the old Dumbo location. It just seems to be a bit plain and odd for those leaving it as is and going with the current Dumbo placement. Wonder if they will make another piece for that.

I find the details of the accessory pack to be interesting - Entrance to the Princess Faire? Toon Town Station? That should be interesting to see how that all plays out as we were just talking about if Princess Faire or Toon Town would even be acknowledged in the model.

I'm pretty happy with the cost of the platform, though I know It will cost a couple hundred more to ship. If the platform, 9 foot cover, and Storybook Land were all coming out around the same time, it might make for a very cost effective road trip with my van - doesn't look like that will be the case though.

The pictures alone have me very excited about everything coming along in the next year. What a fun day. Props to Cindy for the very quick updates on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by schnoogans37 View Post
    What a wealth of info and pics just from Cindy's Twitter feed. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it all check it out.

The Disney cruise ship was a total surprise. At first I thought it was about 6 feet long until I saw the magic kingdom sign behind it and got a little perspective. That is going to be a great piece for anyone looking for a great cruise souvenir.

The final Fantasyland platform is just gorgeous. The size of Storybook Land is really becoming a reality to me now. Is that piece going to be shippable to us out of staters (at a reasonable cost)? I may have to make a cross country drive to pick that one up. That box is going to be HUGE.

I'm a little concerned about the "park" area placeholder for the old Dumbo location. It just seems to be a bit plain and odd for those leaving it as is and going with the current Dumbo placement. Wonder if they will make another piece for that.

I find the details of the accessory pack to be interesting - Entrance to the Princess Faire? Toon Town Station? That should be interesting to see how that all plays out as we were just talking about if Princess Faire or Toon Town would even be acknowledged in the model.

I'm pretty happy with the cost of the platform, though I know It will cost a couple hundred more to ship. If the platform, 9 foot cover, and Storybook Land were all coming out around the same time, it might make for a very cost effective road trip with my van - doesn't look like that will be the case though.

The pictures alone have me very excited about everything coming along in the next year. What a fun day. Props to Cindy for the very quick updates on everything.
    Yeah, I felt the same way about the Dream. Isn't that just a gorgeous piece? Price points and release dates for it and 20K Leagues cannot come soon enough for me. I am also wavering on the MK sign too, just a very pretty piece.

Storybook Land IS scary in size and potential price, but I think we all need to brace ourselves and be aware that Pinocchio may be the start of a trend. Book and the Carousel are going to be expensive, there is just no way to avoid it. I just keep saying "Enjoy the LOW prices, we may cry when the price point for the Matterhorn is announced."

Yeah, the park placeholder does seems a little... neutral. I too hope for a replacement piece or something more detailed in the future.

Nice to see Fantasyland is getting an accessory kit, my only downside is it has been so long since I have seen the inside of the park, I am not sure where something like the Kodak pavilion is going to go! May need to help on placement for some things. Dying to see the details on all the accessories. Seeing that Fantasyland is getting the kit now makes me wonder if Disney is waiting to see how sales go for it before going forward on more accessories. Got my fingers crossed if that is the case.

Damn, I forgot about shipping costs for the platform. Well, as they say, it could be worse. LOTS worse. I wonder if Bob can do something about adjusting the price to INCLUDE the shipping in the overall price so we don't all get sticker shock at the check out counter.

Only thing I want now (and this is impossible because of twitter) is more details. Price points, release dates, whatever else can be obtained. Well, that and honestly I am still very hazy on the concept on how the Skyway is going to work. I am ASSUMING motion included, but it sounds like two releases? How is this going to work/look? Just not seeing it in my mind yet.

All and all, this is looking good and I am excited!

Is the park placeholder in anticipation of a Chicken of the Sea (which would go in the current Dumbo location)? What is currently there now? I went to Disneyland last year, but I can't seem to put a finger on exact logistics.

The Disney Cruise ship and Nautilus were big shockers to me too! Still would have preferred to see a Primeval World prototype or perhaps something from DCA (Tower of Terror, Soarin'), but the cruise ship would be a definite purchase for me.

I am doubtful the Carousel will be $500.00. I imagine it more in the $650.00 price range, although I hope I am wrong. I would be surprised if Storybook came in at half a grand too. With the US dollar losing value by the minute, Matt's prediction of price escalation is money in the bank.

I'm intrigued by those accessory packs for the Fantasyland platform. It will be fun putting together another platform.

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Is the park placeholder in anticipation of a Chicken of the Sea (which would go in the current Dumbo location)? What is currently there now? I went to Disneyland last year, but I can't seem to put a finger on exact logistics.

The Disney Cruise ship and Nautilus were big shockers to me too! Still would have preferred to see a Primeval World prototype or perhaps something from DCA (Tower of Terror, Soarin'), but the cruise ship would be a definite purchase for me.

I am doubtful the Carousel will be $500.00. I imagine it more in the $650.00 price range, although I hope I am wrong. I would be surprised if Storybook came in at half a grand too. With the US dollar losing value by the minute, Matt's prediction of price escalation is money in the bank.

I'm intrigued by those accessory packs for the Fantasyland platform. It will be fun putting together another platform.
    Dumbo is in the original Chicken of the Sea location. If Chicken of the Sea is done (Bob wants to do it), the Dumbo turntable is removable from the main piece and can be put in the placeholder location to make way for the ship.

Grand Canyon and Primeval World were talked about some years ago. I would think, if done, they would be included with Tomorrowland. As for DCA, Tower of Terror has been discussed at least. Confidentially, after seeing Buena Vista Street mocked up, I'd say do the Tower, but keep an eye toward doing either it or the remodeled Paradise Pier.

Yes, folks, I would not mind seeing DCA. Who would have thunk that?

Dear God, I hope the Carousel does not go that high. I get the rising cost of resin and the level of detail, but over $500? Going to have to be something truly amazing to get people not to balk at the price. As it is, I am having debates with the family over the Fantasyland base.

Yes, I want to see those accessories as well, as well as someone really providing a clearer picture of the Skyway and its functionality. I just cannot quite wrap my brain around it.

Ahhhh...got it! Dumbo in original Chicken of the Sea location. Is the placeholder what is currently at Disneyland (basically unused real estate)? Was there another attraction or building that was there in the past? My memory is getting horrible in old age.

I have heard rumblings that Primeval World/Grand Canyon is a good possibility again, but nothing will be officially be announced until everything is approved (my guess).

The Carthay Circle theater mock up tells me Bob needs to do DCA. I would be game for the entire park. Seriously don't know where I would put it, but I can worry about it when I cross that bridge.

So the Skyway will be operational for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Ahhhh...got it! Dumbo in original Chicken of the Sea location. Is the placeholder what is currently at Disneyland (basically unused real estate)? Was there another attraction or building that was there in the past? My memory is getting horrible in old age.

I have heard rumblings that Primeval World/Grand Canyon is a good possibility again, but nothing will be officially be announced until everything is approved (my guess).

The Carthay Circle theater mock up tells me Bob needs to do DCA. I would be game for the entire park. Seriously don't know where I would put it, but I can worry about it when I cross that bridge.

So the Skyway will be operational for sure?
    Well, originally in 1955, the Carousel was closer to the Castle and Dumbo was directly behind, so this is an approximation of the original Fantasyland layout.

We'll see about DCA. Disney seems interested, but we'll have to see following Fantasyland. DCA will have to wait until at least 2012/2013.

I have no clue with Skyway, it APPEARS operational from what is described, but is very unclear.