Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: Fantasyland Platform Update

I have one of these in storage (no room in the current residence) and they are very heavy, took myself and the Husband to move it around. It is worth it and very well done!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    I have one of these in storage (no room in the current residence) and they are very heavy, took myself and the Husband to move it around. It is worth it and very well done!
    Well, remember, the Main Street and Fantasyland Platforms (clearly) are designed differently, so you will need both if you are doing both collections.

But yes, room and help are essential. I would even recommend having a friend to help you remove the pieces from the wooden bases during installation.

We have an update on the Fantasyland platform and it's important, so I am just going to cut and paste from the email I got from Olszewski Studios:

The Fantasyland Platform orders continue to be received. Since our initial announcement, a number of collectors indicated they do not intend to use the front one-quarter piece and the offering now has been changed. For those who have already made their reservation and wishing to change their previous reservation from the FULL Platform to the THREE-QUARTER Platform, please contact us at: [email protected]. For those who have yet to place a reservation order and want the THREE-QUARTER Platform click here to take you to the artist's online store where you can place your order reservation. The deposit remains the same, but the total price for the THREE-QUARTER Fantasyland Platform is $345.00 plus shipping and handling.
    Act accordingly.

Still haven't ordered my platform yet! Now that I see this option, I may go for the 3/4 base. I definitely want to attach it to the Main Street platform and not have to do it as a stand alone. $50.00 off the retail price is no deal breaker, but I bet it impacts my shipping costs to Hawaii!

Just got an email from Olszewski Studios announcing the cap date for ordering the Fantasyland Platform in this first allotment is fast approaching. If you want your platform in July, you have until May 21st to place your order or you'll have to wait for the next round.

Ray just emailed me that this will be the only production run this year. From earlier emails, I thought they would be having running orders throughout 2012 to fill all requests. I was thinking about holding off until a later run, but I guess that is not an option. Going to place my order this week for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Ray just emailed me that this will be the only production run this year. From earlier emails, I thought they would be having running orders throughout 2012 to fill all requests. I was thinking about holding off until a later run, but I guess that is not an option. Going to place my order this week for sure.
    That surprises me as well, as I seem to recall the original announcement saying they would be doing order options throughout the year as well. It concerns me because, with there only going to be 100 platforms in the initial allotment, the demand is not there as it was for Main Street.

Anyone got any clue as to what is going on here? Are we still in a bad economy a factor? Is there less interest in Fantasyland as opposed to Main Street? The real concern for me is if orders are so low, it may be very hard to sell Disney on doing another platform based collection, be it NOS or Tomorrowland.

I've been looking forward to the Fantasyland platform for a while, but this has been a tough year for me financially. We're in the process of buying a new home and I am trying my best to not put things on credit cards. Needless to say, I could wait a few more months to get the base, but not a whole year.

I know this may sound stupid, but as long as the actual pieces sell, would it matter to Disney if the platforms sold or not? I realize they must get a piece of the sale via licensing fees, but because they do not actually stock the product, it's zero risk to them. Just wondering....

I've been looking forward to the Fantasyland platform for a while, but this has been a tough year for me financially. We're in the process of buying a new home and I am trying my best to not put things on credit cards. Needless to say, I could wait a few more months to get the base, but not a whole year.

I know this may sound stupid, but as long as the actual pieces sell, would it matter to Disney if the platforms sold or not? I realize they must get a piece of the sale via licensing fees, but because they do not actually stock the product, it's zero risk to them. Just wondering....
    From what I understand, the number of platform sales do matter as it is a number Olszewski can present to Disney to demonstrate long term interest in large collections. The more platforms sold = collectors who want to buy every single piece with an eye toward the overall. All the risk of the sales are on Olszewski, but it is a justification case for more "big" project plans to the Mouse.

That being said, I do wonder if another reason if capping Fantasyland platform sales at one wave of 100 is just for now since the intention is to do a wave of reservations for the Main Street platform later in the month. It might just be too difficult to do another wave of 100 Fantasylands from China at the same time you MIGHT have the same amount of Main Streets coming in. (MIGHT being because I do not know what the cap level for Main Street will be in the next wave).

Best answer I can give at the moment.

Sound reasoning for sure Matt! You would think that the Fantasyland platform and its pieces might have a bigger audience than Main Street in general, thus translating into bigger orders. Of course, the economy is totally different from what it was when the Main Street Collection was first being produced.

Couple of other things. You mentioned you were going to set up your monorail soon. I've noticed the area where my monorail sits has begun to sag. The beams are not as sturdy as I had hoped. I started to shift the monorail from section to section to prevent this problem, but now just have it laying on the platform base near the train station. Anyone else have this problem?

Finally,"Poster Art of Disney Parks" is finally up for pre-order on Amazon. I've been wanting this book forever. I plan to buy two copies, so I can frame some of the posters and hang it on the wall directly behind my Main Street platform.

Sound reasoning for sure Matt! You would think that the Fantasyland platform and its pieces might have a bigger audience than Main Street in general, thus translating into bigger orders. Of course, the economy is totally different from what it was when the Main Street Collection was first being produced.

Couple of other things. You mentioned you were going to set up your monorail soon. I've noticed the area where my monorail sits has begun to sag. The beams are not as sturdy as I had hoped. I started to shift the monorail from section to section to prevent this problem, but now just have it laying on the platform base near the train station. Anyone else have this problem?

Finally,"Poster Art of Disney Parks" is finally up for pre-order on Amazon. I've been wanting this book forever. I plan to buy two copies, so I can frame some of the posters and hang it on the wall directly behind my Main Street platform.
    Strange you should mention it as I noticed the front of my platform starting to sag myself just a few days ago, just enough to be noticed. I THINK where the Monorail travels will be OK as it is just the front dipping below the wood frame, but yeah, I have that going on as well.

Thanks for the tip about the Poster Art book. I'll take a look and who knows, may make a cool addition. If I'm doing any further plussing to my platform, I'm still trying to find just the right "sound", the mix of sounds and music from Main Street to bring it to life. Main Street is actually OK, it's Fantasyland I'm looking at now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12