Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Disney Princess Designer Dolls

Anyone else collecting these and frankly disgusted by how mishandled the releases are? Extremely limited supply, 2 per customer on the first 5 releases, crashing web servers galore and worst of all, resellers seeing them as money to be made and taking advantage of people that truly want them; a guy reportedly sold a woman who showed up late one for 200 bucks (a 130 premium) minutes after buying it because his adult daughter "felt sorry for her".

My sister's been buying them. Cinderella was a snap; no one knew about them and she took weeks to sell out. Ariel was fairly easy to get online. By Belle and Mulan, it started becoming a competition, and by Snow White, the servers were crashing and we had to go to the mall.

Apologies in advance for the next few paragraphs; I just need to vent a bit. We had trouble with a group of resellers (people making it no secret that they're buying them to sell for a profit on eBay). Once there, she manages to go in through a separate door, and the resellers throw a conniption over it, even though she still would've gotten it in my spot in line (I went in with them). They spend hours occasionally talking about us like we can't hear them, one girl pacing with her cell phone complaining about it, and the people in front of us get nervous enough to inform the patrolling PD. They don't even get to talk to them, since all they get to hear about is that we came in through the wrong door, which one describes as a "security breach" despite Mall security having no problem with it. The cops laugh it off saying we did nothing wrong.

Since I joined my sister as now the 5th person in line instead of what would've been the 14th or so, I calmed them a bit by saying I was just with her (big mistake, as it would turn out). When the stores about to open, they declare it is now 1 per person, which ticks them off so much that they harass the manager about how other stores are supposedly still selling two. My sister has me take a ticket, with the idea of giving it to someone else. This gets them on my case, since I claimed I wasn't buying one (like I have no right to change my mind). They're saying things like I should give it to someone at the back of the line, like they care that I'm "robbing" someone of a doll. I wind up foolishly telling them that I probably will, and that it wouldn't have mattered if I'd stayed behind them, I'd have gotten it anyway.

That's the real messed up part of it, everything we did didn't affect their odds of getting the doll at all. They all would've gotten it at 2 per person, with or without us where we were. They'd give us trouble even if we were behind them, as my sister was for Belle, and all they did was gloat. That's what truly made it ridiculous. We did nothing to them than some minor annoyances. People act nuts when there's a profit to be had, I guess. I wound up giving the ticket to a women with her 2 year old daughter (dressed as Snow White) at my sister's behest. I wasn't happy that she had me take the ticket, but I suppose they hated us anyway. I'm just glad it went to someone that actually wanted it. One of the girls gives me the nastiest, "That's was so nice of you" I've ever gotten. I had to fit myself not to shoot a quip back at her.

This final ordeal caused The Disney Store to shift plans. The last 5 dolls come out this morning. I'd be in line right now, if not for the fact that people apparently lined up outside at mall closing, when we were told they'd be asked to leave. We got there at midnight, and there were at least 30 people in line, with the problem group up front. Since they get about 25 dolls (I'm hearing some get as little as 7 in some dolls), waiting 10 hours for a sliver of a chance just wasn't worth it. Especially since they tend to hold spots. It agravates me that our mall did not ask them to leave until later in the night like they said they would (one of the reasons we didn't stay, along with not being insane).

So our last chance is the Tuesday online sale. They moved it to the day after with a set time of upload, which makes sense to me, but it seems that now, the majority of dolls go to the stores since Cinderella didn't sell out for weeks online, and Snow White in minutes (supposedly the link leaked). We're not the only problem sites either, as Facebook is full of horror stories of long lines, people taking it too seriously, and some stores not even getting the last dolls because of issues.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm feeling pretty bad that my sister going nuts over these things. We know they're just dolls, but it's taking a lot of the fun out of it. Especially when you're sitting at home without, knowing some jerk is guaranteed a set that he's just going to sell anyway. I envy those that pre-ordered at D-23, because this has been nothing short of a fiasco. I'm actually amazed my sister got the first 5. Wish I'd nabbed an Ariel.

What's the experience been like for other collectors?
    Last edited by TifaOnACloud; 10-17-2011 at 07:28 AM.

• Queen Elsa

Re: Disney Princess Designer Dolls

Tell you the truth I think these dolls are ugly I didn't like any of them. It was like a nightmare looking at me some of them was so bad that it look like they came out from the bottom of the Titanic (Jasmine,Pocahontas). Snow White look like a 1950's Barbie doll even my mom didn't like any of them. Ariel & my love Aurora look nothing like them. Belle was the only one that I didn't look at to well cause I couldn't see her when my store had all of them out the day that Cinderella came out. As for Cinderella and the others just horraible.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

I'm collecting them but paying thru the nose via ebay. I haven't the patience to wait in line with only the possible chance of snagging one. Easier to pay double from the comfort of my ez chair and know it's in hand.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

I actually though most of the likenesses were pretty good. Especially Ariel. Better than their usual dolls. Though some better than others (like how Rapunzel looks a bit too snooty). I wasn't too fond of Aurora likeness-wise, as much as I love her.

Turns out my mom decided to check the line at 8. Ours got a ton of them. She got the last Jasmine with only an hour wait, and would've gotten Rapunzel had we tried at 6. I'm sort of kicking myself that we didn't think to try anyway (not like anyone really slept), but I'd never imagine they'd get that many, even if I knew they tended to get more than others (dolls sell well in Modesto). Still, I'm glad she got 1. 4 to go. They let the line in at 1am, about half an hour after we drove by, which means we wouldn't have even seen it had we gone later (doors usually open at 6) and most apparently showed up at 7. Mom was about 50 people back.

• The Forgotten Princess

Smile Re: Disney Princess Designer Dolls

I was never part of the lines, frankly the lines scared me to death, I'm not a confrontational person, and the horror stories people told me was enough incentive not to go, I decided trying online was the best route, all I wanted to Rapunzel, so I figure I could do it. I was one of the lucky few to get Aurora and Rapunzel to check out with both dolls between the sites random crashing. I have never been out to collect all the dolls, just a select few, but I didn't learn about then till belle's release, so I missed Ariel. Thats why I purchased Aurora, on a whim hoping I can find someone to trade her for Ariel lol.

By shear luck and perseverance we got them online. I also got Aurora and Rapunzel in the same basket first. The site crashed so much, I wound up with three Rapunzel's since it was my job to grab her and Tiana while my sister went for Aurora and Pocahontas. She was having no luck, so she had me try for Aurora and it went through. They were the first to sell out. Then the site dived for an hour. Turned out to be a good thing as when it came back up it was a bit more manageable (my guess was a lot stopped trying or were unaware it was back). As I got Pocahontas in the cart, I tried Tiana in another tab, and it worked. So hectic. Wasn't sure we'd even get them either. They were cancelling orders left and right.

You might have some luck trading Aurora since she's a 4000. It's apparently Pocahontas that's in real demand of the final five. Shame it's due to Disney thinking they're the least popular.

As for the horror stories, I'm told our line was rather orderly, and others had games and great times. Then of course, there's the cases of line cutters, multiple lines and disorganization. Really, this whole thing was chaos, and you'd think Disney would be better prepared for this.

Good luck on trying to get Ariel, Giselle.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

The store here had the Local Police there to make sure people were civil.. really? there Dolls people! lol

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    The store here had the Local Police there to make sure people were civil.. really? there Dolls people! lol
    Correction. They are dolls with huge profit margins. When you consider that you could get one for $60 and resell it for $200 to $300 you can see why some people got desperate. Still it is a shame that it went that far.

• Queen Elsa

I still don't understand how people like these dolls all of them look horrable there was not one that I like.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    I still don't understand how people like these dolls all of them look horrable there was not one that I like.
    Because people have different tastes than you. Not everyone likes the same things that you do and not everything that others like so you like. "Tangled" is a great example of that. Lots of people love the film. You do not. That does not mean that it is a bad film, it just means you personally do not like it.

As for the dolls, I think it comes down to it being something different. There have been many dolls of the princesses over the years, but these put them in different attire and a more modern look. You don't like them and that is fine. Other people do. They like to see that more modern interpretation. That is fine too.

^^^ well said

And this isn't the first time something like this has happened. I might have been a kid in the 80's but I still remember the Cabbage Patch Kid Christmas fiasco. I saw the flyers in the store and knew it would be nutty when they came out.

I collect Snow White figures and dolls. I wanted this particular doll because she looks so different than the other Snow White dolls in my collection. I really wasn't keeping up with the demand on these dolls and just figured I could order her online the day she was released. Boy was I in for a shock! The website kept crashing on me and when it finally was back up, the Snow White doll was all sold out! There isn't a Snow White doll to be found! Right now I just can't bring myself to pay the ebay prices when I know how much the seller originally paid for the doll. Looks like this one won't be in my collection....at least not anytime soon. Very disappointing.

Sara S.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

The Mermaid doll is beautiful!

• Shablagoo!

I actually do believe they will come down in price at some point, probably after the holidays. There are so many of them available on the secondary market and I think in the long run, since they are not in iconic dresses, they will not be in as demand as they are now. So don't give up.

I like the sketches better than the actual dolls. Albeit they are beautiful the sketches are just so much prettier!
    I want the sticky notes/note card set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast