Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Olszewski News Update

This is really for anyone not on the Olszewski Studios mailing list, so I apologize for any repeating.

Big news up front: another opportunity to order the Main Street Platform will be available in May with delivery in September. Stay tuned for the announcement of when the order window opens.

For anyone attending the 20K signing event on May 5th at Disneyland, the Fantasyland Platform will be on display with an updated version of King Arthur. King Arthur is not scheduled for release until next year, but as the centerpiece for Fantasyland, seeing the progress is something to look forward to.

I mentioned an update on the Fantasyland platform in the relevant thread, so I will simply refer you to that for that information.

That's about it. No word on any other previews at the signing event, but Bob and his team love to surprise us, so if you can, I recommend attendance.

Thanks all!

Re: Olszewski News Update

WOW! I didn't catch that part in the emal about the updated King Arthur Carrousel miniature! I thought it would be that white paper looking version that they've been using. Would love to see some colors on the mockup. I'm already looking forward to 2014 with any possible announcement of a New Orlean Square platform...or....Frontierland (I can dream!).

I understand you wanting NOS or Frontierland, but realistically, it's got to be Tomorrowland next. I mean, he has half the the Skyway finished, he needs a place for Small World, there have been plans in place for PeopleMover trains and we're all salivating for the subs, Autopia and the long looked forward to Matterhorn.

Cannot wait for next weekend. Cannot wait.

Yes, but Haunted Mansion and Pirates are done and looking for a home too! Didn't Travis mention that NOS would probably be the most likely to appear next as a platform base?

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Yes, but Haunted Mansion and Pirates are done and looking for a home too! Didn't Travis mention that NOS would probably be the most likely to appear next as a platform base?
    I think he said it was between NOS and Tomorrowland as the most likely to be done next with NOS probably being the easiest to do with just the Train Station and the remaining sections of the shops to do. The only catch is how to do the waterfront and the sections of NOS where it connects to Adventureland and Frontierland. There is also the problem of NOS not currently connecting with existing platform material at all.

Truth is, neither one of us is wrong or right. It's going to be at least 2015 before we know for certain what Bob doing next. We still got the next three years with Storybook Land this year, the Carousel next year and the Skyway Chalet in 2014 before the complete Fantasyland is done. Still, they are thinking about it and we just have to be patient. He could easily go either way.

All we can do is ask and we can do that a week from now. Assuming anyone here is going.

OK, I think I have a fair grasp on some of the news that came out over the weekend, but some I am still very confused on and I'm really hoping to hear from others who may have attended to help with some clarity.

Here's what is known: the last wave of the MSEP has been moved from July to August or September. No reason given, but I think it is fair to speculate the desire to not force consumers' wallets to compete with the CK Holiday train, which is also scheduled for July.

Still looking at a Fall release for Storybook Land/Casey Jr. I have heard a projected price point of around $600, so save the pennies for this one. No prototype was on display.

2013 release for King Arthur Carousel. Prototype with more refined landscaping and roof was at the event and is coming together nicely. Personally, I cannot wait until we start seeing finished versions of the horses.

OK, now the confusing stuff.

It's pretty much confirmed we will get a release of accessory kits near December and that among those kits will be decorations for the front entrance and for Main Street. Well and good, but where the confusion comes in is will it be just this one kit in December or will there be more than one? The holiday decorations will apparently be split between two kits, so I am not sure if we will be getting both or just one. Further, there is supposed to be a kit for Main Street with CMs and vehicles included, but it is not clear if there is a plan to release that in December with the others or not.

Bottom line, could be as few as one, could be as many as three or four. The only concern for me is the price point: $125 a pack. That would not be a worry to be honest had we not just been asked to drop $600 as recently as two months before for Storybook. If it's all four coming in December, that's $1100 over a three month span and I call that an ouch.

Again, I am just really confused about the release plan and the cost figures, all of which is important for doing distance purchases for me. If anyone has a clearer picture or knows something I don't please fill me in.

• Yay Mickey!!

Warrior,
    Based upon what limited information has been made available, I think you have summarized this pretty well. I would like to add my thoughts regarding the CK Holliday.

Lowell Smith has indicated via Facebook that an announcement regarding release and pricing is forthcoming. It appears that the locomotive will be manufactured by Atlas, who is a respectable manufacturer and should run nicely. Atlas is releasing a new stock 4-4-0 in the 3rd quarter of this year with a msrp of $120 (see link to Atlas Atlas N 4-4-0 Locomotive). Lowell is known for his rolling stock and this train set is expected to include the freight cars, therefore I am anticipating that Disney may price this set at $200.

This is going to be an expensive year, with additional Fantasyland pieces, the train, accessory packs and re-releases of some of the Main Street pieces. Has anyone heard more on the re-releases?

-Justin

Justin,
    I have to agree with you here about Atlas. Atlas seems to make a strong N scale product. My Disney (Bachmann) EP Ripley was very temperamental. But I purchased an N Scale Atlas 2-4 (OK not Park accurate, but with my eyesight it looked pretty good!) and it was always reliable. I have the platform set up to run 2 trains (with a lot of hand-holding by Bruce Richards who had already set up his platform). But the Bachmann and Atlas never consistently performed well together. Atlas was always running down the slower Bachmann.

Anyway, with Lowell Smith involved and Atlas doing the runs, the experts seem to think that is a better combo. Exciting to see it coming out soon.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysImagination View Post
    Warrior,
    Based upon what limited information has been made available, I think you have summarized this pretty well. I would like to add my thoughts regarding the CK Holliday.

Lowell Smith has indicated via Facebook that an announcement regarding release and pricing is forthcoming. It appears that the locomotive will be manufactured by Atlas, who is a respectable manufacturer and should run nicely. Atlas is releasing a new stock 4-4-0 in the 3rd quarter of this year with a msrp of $120 (see link to Atlas Atlas N 4-4-0 Locomotive). Lowell is known for his rolling stock and this train set is expected to include the freight cars, therefore I am anticipating that Disney may price this set at $200.

This is going to be an expensive year, with additional Fantasyland pieces, the train, accessory packs and re-releases of some of the Main Street pieces. Has anyone heard more on the re-releases?

-Justin
    Ouch, $200? The Bachmann Ripley was $125 as I recall, so I was hoping for a minimum of $150. Still, you get what you pay for.

I'm keeping an eye on the re-releases as well. There MAY be a problem with one of my Newsstand pieces on my Main Street platform (hopefully, just a loose connector, won't know until I get under the thing) which may require replacement. It's odd given I rarely turn the lights on on my platform, so for an LED to suddenly fail is strange. It also bothers me because this is the second time I've had a problem with the Newsstand accessory pack.

Bottom line, as good as Cindy may be at her reports, I really do think we need a regular collector with an eye for detail, the ability to listen and take notes and an AP to go to the releases and cover them for us. I'd love to do it as I actually miss doing it, but Kentucky might as well be the Moon in terms of distance.

Anyone interested or have the time or desire? Begging here.

What do ya'll wanna see from the character packs? I would love to see some more characters other than the fab 5 and the princesses. Maybe hopefully at some point some obscure characters could be thrown in. In terms of people, it would be great if we could get the fanfare trumpeters and candlelight choir for christmas that would be really neat.

Hey Matt,
    I had the same problem with one of my newsstand pieces (the left one if you are standing in the front of the Main Street platform). One day the lights just didn't turn on (like you, I rarely turn on the lights). I emailed Travis asking if there was a way to fix it, and he ended up sending me a new replacement. Seems like it might have been a production problem somewhere down the assembly line?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post
    What do ya'll wanna see from the character packs? I would love to see some more characters other than the fab 5 and the princesses. Maybe hopefully at some point some obscure characters could be thrown in. In terms of people, it would be great if we could get the fanfare trumpeters and candlelight choir for christmas that would be really neat.
    Well, stuff like the Fab 5 and Princesses are a given, since people missed them on the first pass. That is actually a great idea about the living Christmas tree choir though.

For me, it is a bit hard to project since I am no longer quite sure what Olszewski is intending these kits to be for - characters, scenery or all of the above, plus the amount to be included per box. If they are going with the $125 price point, I can imagine quite a bit.

For the sake of argument, let us say one pack would be nothing but vehicles and decorations. Reissues of the Horse-Drawn Streetcar, the Fire Engine, the Omnibus and Yellow Horseless Carridge go without saying, plus a Red Horseless Carridge. Decorations would probably be stuff they "missed", like the Cigar Store Indian and the Hot Dog Cart. Maybe also include vendor CMs with the fruit stand, popcorn cart, churro wagon and so on.

A character and CM Main Street pack would be the Dans, the Fab Five, the Marching Band, CMs four Tour Guide Gardens, the Train Station, Mr. Lincoln, City Hall and so on. As an Easter Egg for one of the Main Street packs, I'd like a CM in Disneyana costume with a miniature of the Main Street Platform.

The Holiday decorations trip me up a bit only because I know of the Christmas decor with the street garlands and lamppost wreaths as well as characters in Christmas dress (carolers, the Fab Five, etc.), but I am not sure if that would or could include building garlands. Halloween decor would obviously include the Town Square pumpkin and stuff for the turnstiles, but I am less familiar with the decor here, so there is the potential for surprises. The big mystery for me is the July 4th look to the park as, beyond lamppost attachments, I do not know what that means.

Got my fingers crossed on maybe seeing the Christmas Fantasy parade done as accessory packs in the future and a mix of NOS and Fantasyland CMs and characters done, especially as Fantasyland nears completion.

---------- Post added 05-09-2012 at 06:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Hey Matt,
    I had the same problem with one of my newsstand pieces (the left one if you are standing in the front of the Main Street platform). One day the lights just didn't turn on (like you, I rarely turn on the lights). I emailed Travis asking if there was a way to fix it, and he ended up sending me a new replacement. Seems like it might have been a production problem somewhere down the assembly line?
    Why did I not think of going directly to Bob about this? I do wonder what is going on with the kit as the first time, it was one of the Souvie stands that refused to light, but that was straight out of the box. Good to know I am not the only one with the issue though. Still, before I contact Bob, I gotta get under the platform to check the connections just in case. Plus I need an excuse to finally install my monorail track and reposition my platform for Fantasyland "construction" later in the year.

Thanks for tipping me off about contacting Bob, I honestly never even thought of going that route.

This is what was sent to me in an email through the studio from Ray:
    There are 6 different packs being developed for the characters and vehicles that have been previously released. These packs will come out once each quarter. So, it is going to take about 18 months to get these all out.
    In addition to the re-issue packs, we will be producing new characters and vehicles as well. These will come out less often, perhaps 2 new packs per year. The first new pack is not scheduled until 2013.

A new Holiday's Banner pack is to be released before Christmas 2012. This pack will have banners, bunting, swags and other elements to dress up the Disneyland Main Street setup for Christmas, Halloween, and 4th of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post
    This is what was sent to me in an email through the studio from Ray:
    There are 6 different packs being developed for the characters and vehicles that have been previously released. These packs will come out once each quarter. So, it is going to take about 18 months to get these all out.
    In addition to the re-issue packs, we will be producing new characters and vehicles as well. These will come out less often, perhaps 2 new packs per year. The first new pack is not scheduled until 2013.

A new Holiday's Banner pack is to be released before Christmas 2012. This pack will have banners, bunting, swags and other elements to dress up the Disneyland Main Street setup for Christmas, Halloween, and 4th of July.
    OK, that helps a bit, I am just wondering why they do not release a combination of new and old stuff. Guess it is to avoid potential double dips, especially with pieces that are not changing.

Dying to see this banner package they are planning. Wish it were timed earlier for release, more like Thanksgiving, so all our platforms could be decked out for the holidays.

Thanks for the update.

My question is how can there be six different packs at 125 dollars a piece of preexisting character/vehicle releases. Most of these individual character packs cost 20 to 25 dollars. The only character releases i can think of were the princess, fab 5, carolers, band, balloon and vending, pin-trader and the fruit cart and only a couple vehicles. I can't see how that adds up to six packs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast