Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Olszewski Disneyland Update

Not sure if any of Olszewski collectors still haunt this forum anymore, but thought I would share this email from Ray regarding the Main Street Miniature/Fantasyland line:

Hi Len: This is straight from the artist.

At this point all the news from the Disney Team to me is that they are planning to move forward with the Fantasyland designs and also have currently in production reorders of out of stock Disneyland and Disneyworld Mainstreet designs. As soon as the latest production items are in stock we will post them on our site. Regards to everyone, Bob Olszewski

Very good news indeed!!!

Last edited by forestlite; 09-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.

•   
    • Banned User

Re: Olszewski Disneyland Update

Very cool. I was in the Gallery on Main Street a few weeks ago and one of the CMs who staffs the Olszewski part of the store said the Fantasyland stuff would feature motorized movements like spinning carosels, Dumbo, Teacups, etc. Bob's work is amazing and can only be called a labor of love.

• Yay Mickey!!

Oh we are still here, crushed under a pile of Duffy's. Have not found many other avenues for discussion.

Thanks for the update.

-Justin

It has been so long since a new release. I am hoping they would come out with the Storybook Land piece in July for Disneyland's birthday. I know it will be expensive whenever it comes out but I'm in. I don't think any of the previous releases will be released in motorized form. I know Bruce Richards modified his but I am not sure what it would take to do it on a production scale. Talking with Robert and Travis last year the carrousel was being designed to be motorized (probably optional after placement in the platform) from the design stage. I would be happy with a not motorized one if it meant more detail. Whatever happens I just want a new piece ��

Hey guys...yes, it has been a long drought. I've been trying to post bits here and at the Yahoo group forum. Hopefully, we see something in 2014. I am more concerned about the peripheral stuff like the accessory packs, electrical lightning kits, etc. Seems like those type of things would be less of a priority to the Disney merchandising team...

Last edited by forestlite; 09-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Anyone know if they are going to release another run of the Disneyland platforms? I'm just getting ready to start my collection and was happy to hear they are going to be reissuing out of stock pieces but wanted to install them on the platform as a nice display piece.
    Thanks,
    Erick

Not Main Street stuff but it is an Olszewski release:

Disneyland® Resort, Robert Olszewski, Miniaturist

Looks like a nice Gallery of Light box. Hopefully he will have updates on the status of his other pieces.
    Last edited by JiminyC; 08-21-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Olszewski Disneyland Update

I periodically visit the Disney Store website looking for Olszewski Disneyland miniatures, and for a very long time now have seen just a few somewhat "peripheral" items: sections of Main Street, House of the Future, Disney Cruise ship, etc. There is no sign of the old, really glorious sculptures such as the Jungle Cruise and Sleeping Beauty's Castle. [Fortunately I previously collected these.]

I began to fear that Olszewski and Disney have disconnected from one another, and what we're seeing are just "leftovers". Ominously "Olszewski" has also disappeared as a separate "Collectibles" subheading on MiceChat.

This thread suggests that there is more great stuff coming, now apparently with a Fantasyland emphasis. Keeping my fingers crossed. But I was hoping for some more Adventureland, specifically the Temple of Mara, as well as Pirates & Haunted Mansion from NOS. [I seem to recall that O. did sort of "sculptured light boxes" of P & HM, but that's not the same as a detailed miniature.

When Indy first opened, there were some nice miniature external Temple models, but not to the same exquisiteness as O.

In Fantasyland, an O.-miniature of Storybookland would seem to be a natural, since it has so many landscapes that would look nice from above. It would also be a tour-de-force, since its structures are already miniatures, so an O.-version would be down to the micro-miniature level!

The "dark rides" might ideally have "removable roofs" so that their entire lengths could be shown?

If mini-motorization is coming, I'd like to recommend the Matterhorn, as mini-bobsleds would look neat within a removable-top Matterhorn.

Somewhere in the is-to-be, how about an O. Nauitilus? There are some nice big models out there - IONS & EFX - but nothing on a precision small scale. It would be a great complement to the O. lightbox of Nemo at his organ!
    ______
    Rachane

Hey Rachane,

Pirates and Haunted Mansion have already been released in the past if that is what you were referring to in your post.

I think the current emphasis on Fantasyland is due to Disney being committed to finishing up pieces that will complete the Fantasyland platform. Hopefully we see Storybook by the end of the year, and King Arthur's Carousel in 2015.

My major concern is how committed Disney is to this line beyond those two pieces. I'm beginning to doubt we'll see the Christmas and Halloween overlays as well as the proposed accessory packs. I would love a Matterhorn, but Bob (a while back) had been unable to figure a way to make it feasible cost wise.

It would be a shame to see this line end with Fantasyland. I had hopes we would see all the major mountains and at least, a New Orleans Square platform. I am grateful for what we got, so I'll just continue to be patient and see where the future takes us.

Smile Re: Olszewski Disneyland Update

Quote Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
    Pirates and Haunted Mansion have already been released in the past
    Yes, I do remember the HM, but not P. It occurs to me that an O. miniature of Tome Sawyer's Island would be a nice piece, with its trails, features, Fort Wilderness, and perhaps lift-off pieces revealing Injun Joe's Cave and the FW escape route.

My thinking about Storybookland is much the same; it has lots of fun features, and also looks generally good from the air. It could even include Casey Jr.

I'm always a little confused when I hear about O. "platforms". Are these actual separate "bases" onto which you place individual O. sculptures to create a whole mega-scene, like all of Main Street? And unless one were a diligent collector from the get-go, isn't this concept rather beside-the-point now, since individual pieces get sold out & discontinued?
    ______
    Rachane

I just got into these pieces (I know about 10 years too late) and find them really hard to find around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post

Yes, I do remember the HM, but not P. It occurs to me that an O. miniature of Tome Sawyer's Island would be a nice piece, with its trails, features, Fort Wilderness, and perhaps lift-off pieces revealing Injun Joe's Cave and the FW escape route.

My thinking about Storybookland is much the same; it has lots of fun features, and also looks generally good from the air. It could even include Casey Jr.

I'm always a little confused when I hear about O. "platforms". Are these actual separate "bases" onto which you place individual O. sculptures to create a whole mega-scene, like all of Main Street? And unless one were a diligent collector from the get-go, isn't this concept rather beside-the-point now, since individual pieces get sold out & discontinued?

Bob has exhibited prototypes of Storybook Land and it does indeed include the Casey Jr. train (not motorized unfortunately). It maybe the biggest piece in the collection, beating out Jungle Cruise. It was originally suppose to debut in 2012 prior to Disney taking over production and distribution.

The platforms, both Main Street and Fantasyland, were produced and sold exclusively through Olszewski Studios. You are correct in that it allows a collector to remove the piece from the cherry bases and place it in an assigned spot on the platform. The end result is a very close replica of the actual park. There are even lighting kits that allow you to turn on all the pieces with a flick of a switch. Such things as a mechanical road that would move the Main Street Electrical floats down Main Street was in the works.

Prior to Disney taking over the production end, Bob's promise was to keep all pieces in production so late comers could complete the collection. The only thing newbies would miss out on were the inaugural runs which just basically included a special nameplate (everything else is the same). Naturally, pieces would cycle in and out (meaning not every single piece would be available at the same time), but if you were patient, all pieces would reappear again in the course of three years or so. I've been told that Disney is sticking to this policy and that every piece will eventually be re-issued. I would definitely keep a look out for the Pirates piece as it is one of Bob's best with two outstanding interchangeable scenes.

Last edited by forestlite; 09-04-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sucho23 View Post
    I just got into these pieces (I know about 10 years too late) and find them really hard to find around.

Hang in there, as Disney should eventually re-release every piece to date! I would stay away from paying after market prices on Ebay unless you're flushed with cash.

Thanks for the tip. I picked up my first two pieces on ebay for 165 a piece (Magic Shop and Market House pieces). I will keep an eye out when I am at the park in October and December to maybe pick up a third or fourth piece.

Quote Originally Posted by sucho23 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I picked up my first two pieces on ebay for 165 a piece (Magic Shop and Market House pieces). I will keep an eye out when I am at the park in October and December to maybe pick up a third or fourth piece.
    Go to the Olszewski Studios website and sign up for his email notifications. They will automatically notify you when re-releases are back in stock at Disneyland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast