Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Mililani, Hawaii

Re: Wiring MainStreet Platform Pieces

Well, the official lighting kit is now available from the Olszewski studio store.

Price is $175 plus shipping.

It was fun making my own harness and stuff. But, an adapter for each was a lot of adapters
    Next DLR Trip: 6-11 Oct 2010
    Club 33: A really big fan...
    Olszewski Fan

• Disneyland Fan

Cool Re: Wiring MainStreet Platform Pieces

Hi, Hey I'm from Hawaii too! I really appreciate the work that you do on your platform. My boyfriend Jason and I are making many modifications to our platform, including the Main Street buildings. We are replacing the trees, we added the locker building to the Main Street Cinema piece, we've added the courtyard behind the City Hall tour kiosk, we've laid brick around the Showcase building, and the list goes on. You can see our work at www.agidistrict.com . One idea that we're entertaining is installing the Faller Car System on our Main Street!

• Mililani, Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by tahnee View Post
    Hi, Hey I'm from Hawaii too! I really appreciate the work that you do on your platform. My boyfriend Jason and I are making many modifications to our platform, including the Main Street buildings. We are replacing the trees, we added the locker building to the Main Street Cinema piece, we've added the courtyard behind the City Hall tour kiosk, we've laid brick around the Showcase building, and the list goes on. You can see our work at www.agidistrict.com . One idea that we're entertaining is installing the Faller Car System on our Main Street!
    Wow, a great project and great documentation.

I can spend quite a while exploring your website. But, I better get back to work for now

You have taken to heart the concept that project was intended for customization. You have some great modeling skills.
    Olszewski Fan

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

WOW!! that's awesome! How long has it taken you to do the work on the platform?? By the way, I graduated from Waianae high school on Oahu!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Disneyland Fan

I'm a Mid-Pac girl. Maybe we should start a forum called "Hawaiian Disney Fans", . Jason and I have been working on it for about 6 months now. Jason spends most of his free time on it- it's a labor of love.

tahnee, fabulous work. Not something I was going to do, but I am planning some surgery on my pieces on a much smaller scale.
    I have a question. When you say "clearing out" unwanted objects, is all that work destructive in nature? (If you clear something off the piece, it has to be destroyed in the process or do these kind of things simply pull out of the piece with enough yanking and twisting?)
    I wanted to remove some fencing and replace street lights with a few z scale Marklin gas lamps. Can they be removed without damaging the piece or the item being removed? I was going to try using some CA solvent to see if those items can be removed without major destruction.

• Disneyland Fan

It all depends on what you want to remove. Keep in mind that these were meant to be collection pieces and they were not designed to be modified. There is always the possibility of damage but if you have the know-how and the right modeling tools you can repair it. The lamps and fencing can be removed but will likely be damaged in the process. I was able to remove some lamps with tubing intact and others broke off at the base. Some of our pictures show the lamp holes that were left after we pulled them out. Our work is like a renovation, some parts are discarded, some parts are replaced, and some parts are modified.

Lightbulb Re: Wiring MainStreet Platform Pieces

Thanks for the reply Tahnee. Keep up the great site & keep posting lots of pictures of your progress. It's inspiring me to get started.

I'm going to plant a few more Marklin lamps around Main Street for starters. Did you wire in the Marklin lamps into the existing electrical modules on the Main Street pieces or are they operated on a separate power supply? I was thinking of disposing of the Marklin circuit board (which is expecting something like a 10vac source) and wiring directly into the Olszewski electrical circuitry using a 50 to 75 ohm resistor (assuming it has about a 4.5v DC source).

• Disneyland Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Noko View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tahnee. Keep up the great site & keep posting lots of pictures of your progress. It's inspiring me to get started.

I'm going to plant a few more Marklin lamps around Main Street for starters. Did you wire in the Marklin lamps into the existing electrical modules on the Main Street pieces or are they operated on a separate power supply? I was thinking of disposing of the Marklin circuit board (which is expecting something like a 10vac source) and wiring directly into the Olszewski electrical circuitry using a 50 to 75 ohm resistor (assuming it has about a 4.5v DC source).
    Good question, we haven't wired ours yet. Let us know what you find out. I'm thinking about learning a little more about electronics just to figure out how to wire our lamps. I was wondering if we could just use the existing lamp connections?

I have to a little more investigation myself. I know it's important to put a current limiting resistor in series with any LED. In order to figure out what resistance to select depends on the operating voltage of the LED & it's nominal current draw. I figure Marklin uses a common type of LED and is likely a 20 or 30 milliamp device. There are several resistor calculators on the web that do this calculation. I'll have to experiment with a Marklin power supply and compare relative brightness using a resistor wired in series with the Olszewski power supply when it eventually ships. I'd much prefer to have a single power source (the Olszewski power source) to each piece, rather than having mutiple power supplies to light up the Marklin LEDs & another for the rest of the lighting devices.

There may be others who are alot better at figuring this out. So hopefully they will let us know if they have any insight on this. I don't want to blow out an expensive Marklin lamp unnecessarily.

If the proper limiting resistance can be figured out, I also plan to replace the existing incandescent bulbs with LED devices for building interior lighting. I suspect getting everything to light up sufficiently will take quite a few LEDs, but at least their lifespan should be much greater than their filament bulb counterparts.

• Mililani, Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    ... By the way, I graduated from Waianae high school on Oahu!
    I'm a Mid-Pac girl. Maybe we should start a forum called "Hawaiian Disney Fans", ...
    Wow, this has become a Hawaii thing.

I am originally from Santa Clara and moved to Hawaii in Jan 89 (I used to work at Great America for almost 10 years).

I didn't get a chance to explore websites much today. The server at Manoa V Theater went out today and I had to go and try and rescue it - But, all is well for tomorrows opening...

I am glad that there are more out there willing to "adjust" their pieces. I thought I was committing a big sin by taking out the dremel to help with wiring issues early on

tim
    Olszewski Fan

• Disneyland Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Noko View Post
    I have to a little more investigation myself. I know it's important to put a current limiting resistor in series with any LED. In order to figure out what resistance to select depends on the operating voltage of the LED & it's nominal current draw. I figure Marklin uses a common type of LED and is likely a 20 or 30 milliamp device. There are several resistor calculators on the web that do this calculation. I'll have to experiment with a Marklin power supply and compare relative brightness using a resistor wired in series with the Olszewski power supply when it eventually ships. I'd much prefer to have a single power source (the Olszewski power source) to each piece, rather than having mutiple power supplies to light up the Marklin LEDs & another for the rest of the lighting devices.

There may be others who are alot better at figuring this out. So hopefully they will let us know if they have any insight on this. I don't want to blow out an expensive Marklin lamp unnecessarily.

If the proper limiting resistance can be figured out, I also plan to replace the existing incandescent bulbs with LED devices for building interior lighting. I suspect getting everything to light up sufficiently will take quite a few LEDs, but at least their lifespan should be much greater than their filament bulb counterparts.
    fyi- We looked at our lights a little closer, apparantly Marklin already includes a resistor with their lights and it runs off of our 10vac power pack. We also are considering lighting up our buildings in a different way with one bulb per building....more on this later.

• Disneyland Fan

We decided to gut our Main Street buildings that have no LEDs and replace them with 2-3 larger incandescent bulbs. We will either use a string of clear mini christmas lights or make our own chain of incandescent bulbs. This modification will simplify the lighting scheme and enable us to avoid the timers placed on the circuit boards. We did consider the longer lasting LEDs but they do not have the warm look and feel that incandescents have. Also notice the wood we glued under the building? We are using wood and thin strips of plastic(the plastic is used to make small changes in leveling the building) in lieu of the rubber feet.
    Last edited by tahnee; 10-13-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

• Hangin Around

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyhi View Post

I am glad that there are more out there willing to "adjust" their pieces. I thought I was committing a big sin by taking out the dremel to help with wiring issues early on

tim
    You are committing a sin! Just wait until I tell Bob!

• Disneyland Fan

Smile Re: Wiring MainStreet Platform Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Skywaygrl View Post
    You are committing a sin! Just wait until I tell Bob!
    Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast