Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Fan

Wink Modifying Olszewski Main Street Pieces

I'm not a modeler, Jason my partner in crime is a modeler. So when it came to modifying the Olszewski pieces I was not enthused, "You're going to do what to my City Hall!", was my oft response. Whether it's a $200 piece or a $200,000 piece, Jason will make it into something he wants. Once I saw the results of his work, I was on board, pulling trees and lights and relishing it! I know I probably could never place these modified pieces on ebay and get the market price for them- but then again I don't plan to put it on ebay, I want to enjoy it and pass it on for others to enjoy. So my point is there are all kinds of ways to get more enjoyment from these pieces and many different degrees of modification or addition. A collector, wishing to keep the integrity of a piece, can easily add "n scale" figures to their layout. Those wishing to venture a little more can replace lamps and trees. Others can paint their own cast members. What's cool is that the more we work on our layout, the more ideas we come up with. "What about a light in Walt's window?" Walt used to keep his light on when he was in his apartment to let people know he was in the park. "What about loading up the Main Street vehicles with guests?" Buying and collecting is just part of the picture, the question is how can we enjoy these pieces even more? For some its leaving them alone, for others like Jason and I its modifying them to our liking while still holding a deep respect for its original artist.
    Last edited by tahnee; 09-09-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

• Geoff London

Re: Modifying Olszewski Main Street Pieces

Leave them alone? By adding figures (which should actually be Z scale) you make the sculpture live. I've added fireworks behind my DL castle using LEDs to create the colours. At Chrismas it gets an overlay. I even have a flying Tinkerbelle!
    Just received my WDW castle and am now working on a fibre optics firework show that will run to "Wishes"

I actually feel Olszeski could offer more accesories to make the buildings "live". Trees are all very well but more atmospheric items would be great. They are working on a Main Street roadway where the vehicles will travel up and down.

If you ever get hold of the DLRP (Paris) DVD there is a feature about a Dutch who built his own DLRP Main Street - correct in every little detail and he holds Main Street Electrical Parade every night. If I can get a shot of it I'll post it up here.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Geoff London

As promised some pictures from that video. It comes as a bonus on the Disneyland Paris souvenir DVD. The actual feature is called "From one bright light to another" and is about Disney's evening pardaes - MSEP - Spectromagic and Fantillusion (that one was from Tokyo and was modified BADLY for Paris). Anyhow, this Dutch guy called Jeffrey has created MainStreet in his home and he runs the MSEP each evening. It actually moves along Main Street. I apologise for the quality - for speed I just photographed the shots direct from the T V.

Jeffrey with some of the Main Street buildings in the background:

Here is the train:

And here is the Blue Fairy:

• World Traveler

I don't think there is anything wrong with personalizing anything you own. You paid good money for it, and you can do whatever you want with it.

• Disneyland Fan

Cool Re: Modifying Olszewski Main Street Pieces

You mean you aren't all just boring collectors with lots of money? Just kidding....There's some cool stuff out there. How's about a Halloween Version of the Haunted Mansion? The model railroad hobby actually has quite a lot to offer for accessories- it all depends what you're looking for. Are those fireworks lamps realistic looking at night? I'm thinking about picking one up. And "Mikeland", wow you got your own Park. I tried to convince Jason to change the Marquee sign to some kind of personalized message but he wasn't interested...
    Last edited by tahnee; 09-18-2007 at 01:50 PM.

• Disneyland Fan

Here's a couple of links for n scale figures for those who are thinking about populating their park. Preiser sells unpainted figures at a much cheaper price. I actually decided to start painting these figures on my own to save money(as we will need at least several hundred of them)- it's actually quite fun. I'll post the project, within a couple of weeks, on my website with instructions for those who might want to take this on.

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/ERH/e....asp?mn=8&sc=N

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/ERH/e...asp?mn=10&sc=N

By the way, Olszewski uses n scale figures, the z scale figures would be too small.
    Last edited by tahnee; 09-19-2007 at 09:00 PM.

• Mililani, Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by tahnee View Post
    Here's a couple of links for n scale figures for those who are thinking about populating their park. Preiser sells unpainted figures at a much cheaper price. I actually decided to start painting these figures on my own to save money(as we will need at least several hundred of them)- it's actually kinda fun. I'll post the project, within a couple of weeks, on my website with instructions for those who might want to take this on. All you need is time, paint brushes, enamel paint, paint thinner, small plastic cups and paint remover.

I too had been getting N scale character packs when I visit the mainland. There is a large hobby store in the San Jose area D and J Hobby that I usually visit when visiting my family.

There were some N scale characters in the hobby store at Pearlridge. But, they don't have a large selection of N scale.

As for modifications - I say sure. I have done a little but not the major renovations you are doing. Which I think look pretty classy.
    Next DLR Trip: 6-11 Oct 2010
    Club 33: A really big fan...
    Olszewski Fan

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

flyboyhi said:

There were some N scale characters in the hobby store at Pearlridge. But, they don't have a large selection of N scale.
    Ah Pearlridge center.....Do they still have the FunFactory in phase two? Also, is the monorail still running?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Mililani, Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    flyboyhi said:

Ah Pearlridge center.....Do they still have the FunFactory in phase two? Also, is the monorail still running?
    Ah yes, the monorail is still "zipping" back and forth. It didn't fall off during the earthquake in Oct - and the watercress farm is stilllll there

I think fun factory is still there - but hadn't looked lately ... But, we have a Dave and Busters over by Ward Center

Oh, the super ferry hasn't really been successful yet ...

- -- oh, no mean to derail this thread... I still like the mods
    Next DLR Trip: 6-11 Oct 2010
    Club 33: A really big fan...
    Olszewski Fan

• insufferable know-it-all

I get/like the idea, but I have to be honest, if I was going that far, I'd go all-out and create my own model from the ground up.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Disneyland Fan

Question Re: Modifying Olszewski Main Street Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    I get/like the idea, but I have to be honest, if I was going that far, I'd go all-out and create my own model from the ground up.
    Olszewski saved us the trouble of building from the ground up. Why re-invent the wheel? Especially if it's a nice wheel...
    Last edited by tahnee; 09-08-2007 at 07:19 AM.

• Disneyland Fan

Red Face Re: Modifying Olszewski Main Street Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    flyboyhi said:

Fun Factory has been gone for ages now, you must have left the islands a long time ago....

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post

In that case - two sites: you may find of interest.

Haunted Mansion (DL / WDW / DLRParis) -

www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com

I used to have one for park signage but it doesn't see to connect anymore. I'll do some checking.
    Last edited by geoffa; 09-09-2007 at 07:27 AM.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by tahnee View Post
    Here's a couple of links for n scale figures for those who are thinking about populating their park. Preiser sells unpainted figures at a much cheaper price. I actually decided to start painting these figures on my own to save money(as we will need at least several hundred of them)- it's actually kinda fun. I'll post the project, within a couple of weeks, on my website with instructions for those who might want to take this on. All you need is time, paint brushes, enamel paint, paint thinner, small plastic cups and paint remover.

By the way, Olszewski uses n scale figures, the z scale figures would be too small.
    I appreciate that Olsz. use N scale for their characters but the buildings are in Z scale and that's what I'm keeping to. So I won't be buying any of their N gauge figures. If you want to stick with the N gauge - well, it's your castle and models. Let's not fall out over this. I'm not going for a Main Street set anyway - just the castles. I'd rather adapt Z gauge to make my own Mickey Mouse etc. (Yes I bought the Fab 5 set but that's for forced perspective photos).

If you have the DL castle - check Sleeping Beauty and the Prince in the tower - they are Z scale.:

My "guests"are Z scale and fit in PERFECTLY with the surrounding architecture and benches.What annoys me is that the lamps are not in scale and I may change them in time. (Yes ,I have a partner who is a qualified electrician)

And - do you know where the Hidden Mickey is on the DL castle? As yet I haven't found one on thw WDW model. Sorry, it's out of focus. I was tring to take on Macro setting.

SPOILER ALERT - Don't click on this link if you don't want to see:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/...ckey%20rsz.jpg

There's lots of places you can get N and Z scale figures by mail order. One place I use for all my train layout stuff and my Disney park guests is:

http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc

They even ship stuff to me over here in the U K
    Last edited by geoffa; 09-09-2007 at 08:21 AM.

• Disneyland Fan

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    I appreciate that Olsz. use N scale for their characters but the buildings are in Z scale and that's what I'm keeping to. So I won't be buying any of their N gauge figures. If you want to stick with the N gauge - well, it's your castle and models. Let's not fall out over this. I'm not going for a Main Street set anyway - just the castles. I'd rather adapt Z gauge to make my own Mickey Mouse etc. (Yes I bought the Fab 5 set but that's for forced perspective photos).

There's lots of places you can get N and Z scale figures by mail order. One place I use for all my train layout stuff and my Disney park guests is:

http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc

They even ship stuff to me over here in the U K
    Hey, different strokes for different folks, whatever makes you happy. Here's what the Disney Gallery site has to say about the scale, "The buildings have been created in “Z” scale (1/220th) with doorways and windows enlarged to create the illusion that the vehicles and characters relate to them. Characters and vehicles have been created in “N” scale (1/160th)." Also, I really like the affect of the figures on your castle- it makes the piece come alive. And yes there are many sites that offer accessories. I like Eurorail Hobbies for their prices, no tax, and shipping at cost. I also like to support my local hobby shops(many of them will order the products you want), and the Walthers catalog is a good reference for accessories.
    Last edited by tahnee; 09-14-2007 at 12:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast