• Disneyland Fan

Lightbulb Olszewski & Ebay

There seems to be a lot of discussion lately about ebay and re-sellers profiting off of collectors. Ebay is both a supply and demand market and also a timing market. A lot of supply bring prices down, a shortage of supply bring prices up. It's a timing market too, if I want something and if I have the money and if it's on ebay, I will likely buy it even if the price is high. I bought Coke Corner for $115 on ebay just before prices started sky rocketing, on the other hand I paid $425 for the Penny Arcade because the market supply was low and I needed the piece to continue my work on the platform (I started acquiring the pieces in late 2006 so I had to play catch-up). So I think the lesson for collectors is to buy the pieces when they are released instead of possibly paying higher prices in the future. Honestly it's hard for me to get mad at re-sellers, yes they are out to make a buck- but it is an honest buck isn't it? And you don't have to buy, you can wait for a possible re-release or hope that prices come down. "But the re-sellers snatch up the pieces an re-sell them for higher prices." So what, that just means that they got up earlier then you on release day so now you have to pay for sleeping in.

Bob Olszewski himself told me to get these pieces while you can. While the plan is for Disney to have 2-3 pieces in stock at all times, who knows when they will decide to stop production? Here is what Bob has to say, "In the majority of cases there is never a second run and the true market demand is never fulfilled. Because of this, my advice to collectors is to buy your pieces as soon as the pieces are released, especially when pieces are part of a larger ongoing collection."(Olszewski Studios Website)
    Last edited by tahnee; 09-28-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

• Done and Gone

Re: Olszewski & Ebay

Supply and demand is a simple fact and surely there are many trying to make "an honest buck." Its a free country right?

That being said having been at releases a lot earlier than 2006, I can tell you we have a lot more company now, buying bags and bags of the releases. Not sure if it was anyone here but I saw a family rent strollers and a wheelchair to transport some of the many bags they bought. I don't mind an extra piece for ebay, or if you got one for someone and they suddenly don't want it, where else do you sell it? But things have just gotten crazy.

I can also tell you that it was once possible to go to Disneyland and pick up pieces weeks after a release. We didn't attend each and every release because we didn't have to. I don't have statistics but the dam seems to have broken for the Ariels Grotto/wishing well release. My wife and I went at about noon and everything was gone and yes, I turned to ebay.

On ebay I bid up to an obscene amount on one piece before I gave up. After the auction was over I got a message that the seller had a couple of extras and would gladly sell it to me at the price I had bid up to. No thanks, and I moved on. Got it at regular price shortly afterwards.

Ebay isn't evil but everyone should be cautious. There are some pieces that can be had on Ebay for prices I consider quite reasonable. Then there are auctions that pop up a couple of days before a release wanting over $1000 for the weekends releases. When I see people walking out with their limits of the pieces, this goes much further than them waking up earlier than myself. My wife and I can purchase up to 4 of each piece but I can tell you I don't have 4 platforms. (Unless I want to display the extras in several rooms in my house.)

Coming in at this late stage of the releases, and not exactly living around the corner, I understand your use of ebay. Ebay is surely helping lots of people fill in holes in their collections. However much of this demand is ebay fueled and is being used to take advantage of the collectors desire to have a completed (or hard to find) set or piece. I have 2 of the impossible to find n scale train sets for the set. I'm sure I could make an extra buck since I got it and several people didn't. But I got it for extra pieces for my platform.

Thankfully all I am missing is the Astro Orbitor (avail last night for over $600 on ebay or in November at regular price though an open edition) and the second accessory pack. I've gotten all of my pieces using my 20% off AP renewal coupon and even then have spent thousands on this collection. So I can't even imagine how much those of you relying on ebay are spending.

If you have the $$, don't mind the markup, can't wait, or any combination of these things, then those auctions are just for you. I live 45 mins away, arrive at the gates before 7am and if I have to I'll be there earlier. For those of you playing catch up, do your research and check which pieces are coming back and plan accordingly. For the premium some of you are paying, you could probably pay for a flight and stay here at the resort.

• Disneyland Fan

Not sure if it was anyone here but I saw a family rent strollers and a wheelchair to transport some of the many bags they bought.
    Hey I needed someway to get my pieces home . So that's what that empty stroller parked outside Disneyana was for. Next time I see it I'll discretely go park it in Toon Town .

When I see people walking out with their limits of the pieces, this goes much further than them waking up earlier than myself.
    I realize that there are many reasons why someone could not get them at release time. I myself, got into it late in the game. Re-sellers are getting a little greedy because they see the selling prices on ebay. Demand for this collection has definitely increased...

I love eBay. I know there are many out there that think its evil but its a great tool. Even though I live way too close to the park, I have missed a release and turned to ebay. I don't mind it. Just got to know when to buy.

As far as buildings selling out at releases and people blaming those selling on ebay. Did anyone consider the presales done through delivEARs. I think its great Disney offers them that way but on the other hand. I feel they should not sell them untill after everyone that goes to the park that day gets a crack at them first. I don't think its fair that someone pays for park admission, heads into the park a little later in the day and everything is sold out when Disney presold a bunch ahead of time to people not at the parks.

• Mililani, Hawaii

Thanks Tahnee for putting this in a seperate thread. At least the discussion can be in a focused area and if we want to participate in the discussion we can

This whole ebay thing could have been put to rest if the park just figured out that we want the pieces and ensured there was enough for everyone without having to rush out and getting them only to be dissappointed by "currently out of stock" signs.
    Next DLR Trip: 6-11 Oct 2010
    Club 33: A really big fan...
    Olszewski Fan

• Disneyland Fan

Did anyone consider the presales done through delivEARs. I think its great Disney offers them that way but on the other hand. I feel they should not sell them untill after everyone that goes to the park that day gets a crack at them first. I don't think its fair that someone pays for park admission, heads into the park a little later in the day and everything is sold out when Disney presold a bunch ahead of time to people not at the parks.
    I agree, Delivears should offer the pieces over the phone or online after the release date for those that could not make it to the Park.

This whole ebay thing could have been put to rest if the park just figured out that we want the pieces and ensured there was enough for everyone without having to rush out and getting them only to be dissappointed by "currently out of stock" signs.
    The problem with this is that the increased supply causes a decrease in demand and lower prices. "So what's wrong with that?" you ask? Disneyland is left with inventory(a no no for most businesses), Olszewski's work may not be commissioned again by Disney until the inventory sells, and people don't get excited about releases because they know they can buy it months later at retail or on ebay for below retail. In short, it's bad for business. Think about the Debeers Company, they control the supply of diamonds which determines demand and as a result they control prices too. If the market was flooded with diamonds, instead of "Diamonds are Forever" it would be "Diamonds are Everywhere and for Cheap Too".

P.S. Can you tell that I'm not working today?

If the online sales were restricted to after the event then the "investment" by the Ebay sellers would be greater as there would be no inventory left after the event.

I live in NorCal and to date have been unable to attend a release event. Were it not for the on-line ordering, I would have been shut out on many pieces. In fact the two pieces I don't have (Astro Orbitor and HM) were not sold on-line.

They don't make the entire inventory amount available on-line for preordering so no one is really being punished (and everyone is capable of ordering this way.) With regard to Disney getting their admission dollars - I would love to know how many purchases go to non-AP buyers. I would imagine that it is very small.

These are not limited edition pieces; they are open items. Sometimes you just have to be patient if you don't want to pay the scarcity premium.
    The Mur

• Done and Gone

All very good points. In thinking about everyones input and ideas, its hard to think of anything that couldn't be universally abused. I learned my lesson earlier this year and now I'm at every release.

As for Deliverears and the presales, I just took for granted that the accessory pieces would actually be there on the release day. (Then Monday I admitedly snoozed in calling...)

If the Astro Orbitor has a presale I will try and get it online.

For the record though, I do LIKE ebay. lol. It's been very useful in tracking down some hard to find "things" here and there. It just gets a little hairy with "in demand" items.

With regard to Disney getting their admission dollars - I would love to know how many purchases go to non-AP buyers. I would imagine that it is very small.
    Annual Passes are admission and they do cost $$$. Disney is getting admission dollars from Passholders.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost View Post
    Annual Passes are admission and they do cost $$$. Disney is getting admission dollars from Passholders.
    My point exactly. I have an annual pass even though I live in Nor Cal. I like that there is a little equality for people who don't live close to the park.
    The Mur

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

I, like Tahnee, and several others, have garnered MOST of my collection from Ebay. Mostly due to my proximity to the park. I paid 3 and 4x the release price for quite a number of the items because I wanted to have them all be first editions.I'm sure the prices I and others paid for their pieces fueled the fire that is Olszewski ebay resale and that's ok with me. I am grateful for ebay, I would not have otherwise collected this series. Ebay is good for business.