Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Too far from Disney World

Re: The WDCC Walt Disney Classics Collection Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKirsch View Post
    see my post! I have some early ones that need new homes!

What all do you have that needs a new home?
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• BradS

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Welcome those new to micechat!

dumbsucker, have you tried bigbadtoystore.com? I think they ship to Canada.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at them.

Too many to list! I have strong affections for Donald & Scrooge, Roger Rabbit though.
    I think there is a new Roger Rabbit piece coming out in 3rd quarter...and a new Donald!

I've gotten into Disney collecting last 5 years. Wish I would win the lottery. Went from Theme Park collecting, Pirates and Haunted, and now getting a bit into animation cels and Disney related coffee table quality books. Also collect a few of the Olzewski pieces.

I buy and sell collectibles of another nature as a small side business through a dealer I do consulting work for. I recently read up more on the WDCC stuff. I've sort of avoided it as I'm not one to have a gazillion 'gedunks' all over my house.

But then I got to looking closer at the stuff and read about how it is produced and was impressed. Why invest in 2-dimensional animation collectibles when I can enjoy a 3-dimensional representation of my favorite Disney Animation Movies?

So then I start thinking, maybe I can expand my collectible side business to include this stuff. Two major problems: a) Based on my research these pieces don't really appreciate, or if they did at some point, they have really come back down in recent years, and b) I don't have a brick and mortar store.

Now the collectibles I sell through a dealer, I can get way more than if I sold them on E-bay. Heck I wouldn't make enough profit to make it worthwhile if Ebay was my major selling outlet.

I know the primary purpose of collecting is to buy what you like and enjoy owning it, not to make money. But wouldn't it be nice to by two of things you thought were nice, then sold the second one a little later for a small profit to help finance expanding your collection?

Anyway, I've got three questions for you WDCC afficionados:

I'm an e-tail consultant for a living. Buy online, especially E-bay, has really only become really mainstream starting about 4 or 5 years ago. Just like the collectibles I sell, if you try to sell it on E-bay, you're lucky to get 10% above dealer cost. Dealer cost on WDCC is 50% retail and if you look at the auctions that's what most pieces sell for about 50-60% original retail.

Question 1: So hasn't E-bay really hurt brick and mortar WDCC dealers in the past 5 years as with a little patience you can pretty much get any piece, even an LE Signature Series piece at close to half off retail on Ebay!

Question 2: (Sort of related to 1) Can anyone give me an example of a piece that came out, say 3 years ago +/- 6 months, that is selling at the original retail price on Ebay or more? Maybe some low number LE piece, signature series, etc? It seems the releases are really hot when they first come out especially if they are like LE 500, then give it a couple 2 or 3 years and you start seeing collectors letting them go on E-bay for less that original retail. It's only the dealers that try to catch some deep pocket, money no object buyers with their store listings at astronomical prices compared to the average auction selling price of the same piece. Only one I can think of is Hitchhiking Ghosts which was what $400 retail and now goes for maybe about $800 on E-bay. But that was an LE1500 sold almost ten years ago in 1999 at a special event and the HHG's are one of the most collectible things out there! So I imagine that's got to be one of if not the best success stories for an appreciation of a WDCC piece and double in 9 years isn't much to brag about. Seems like maybe some Nightmare Before Christmas pieces might do well since that's got a lot of cross-collector appeal?

Question 3: What do people do to prevent these things from being damaged in an earthquake? Most of them are quite delicate!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow, that's some deep questions there, consultant!

I think you have most of the facts down pretty much. I have bought many pieces on ebay at over 50% off the original price. Why? Because that's as much as I want to pay. I definitely wouldn't buy any of these full price and I think the ebay sellers realize that.

And Haunted Mansion definitely has one of the highest resale qualities out there. I mean, I see a $10 pin sell for close to $50! A PIN!

Animated features though, a lot of people like to get key characters rather than full sets. And I think that has a lot to do with it too. With a favorite ride, it's a lot easier for the fan to put all their eggs in one basket so to speak and buy ONE haunted mansion sculpture and be done with it.

I think those who have bought and collected these were gung ho in the beginning but soon realize after awhile that it was a lot of money and it was a lot of space lost. Many just want to get SOMEthing back or at least break even. But it rarely happens for used and displayed products.

I don't know if i answered your question. Actually, I probably didn't. But i'm tired and I'm going to bed soon.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

You pretty much confirmed my hunch, or rather the results of analyzing past 90-days of WDCC auctions.

I was looking at some of what I would expect to be the most popular pieces from 2004-2006. Here's some E-bay prices (and these are for mint pieces with box and COA)

Goofy "All Downhill" Retail $225 - Avg Ebay $115
    De Vil On Wheels (Event Piece LE 500) $399 retail - Ebay $350-$375
    Uninvited Guests $1250 retail - Ebay $950
    Fireside Celebration $1250 retail - Ebay $700

I think there is sort of a hump on the WDCC pieces that are LE1500 or less. People go nuts for them when they first come out. Then you don't see many sold for a while. Then they start being resold for a lot lower than retail to free up cash. Plus, on the older limited pieces, how many newer WDCC members will take the time to go back and examine every piece released since 1992 to see if there's something they want then take the time to track it down, some yes, everyone, no way.

So bottom line, unless you are getting these things at about at least 2/3 off it not 1/2 off, good luck ever getting your money back. Just enjoy your piece and hopefully find room where to store all the boxes. Some of the boxes these things come in, since they are delicate, are HUGE!

My wife's going to kill me when she starts seeing these things arrive. Luckily I'm sticking to the creme de la creme so I won't have some curio cabinet full of a hundred pieces. If I had every piece I really wanted that was released since 1992, my collection size would be about 15 pieces right now, but the total retail would probably be close to $15K as I really like the very limited and very impressive ones which usually are $500-$2000 range. I better start saving up!

I never envisioned myself as accumulating a bunch of 'stuff' but me and my kids love Disney so much, these will be great memorabilia to pass down reminding us of all the fun times we had watching the movies and going to the theme parks.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah, they are definitely great pieces and If i was rich, I'd have them all. But another thing that keeps me from buying THAT many (besides the price) is that these are always nicely displayed at the resort. I always know that whenever I go, I can admire these pieces up close. It's almost like having them for my very own without having to pay for them.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Yah, they are definitely great pieces and If i was rich, I'd have them all. But another thing that keeps me from buying THAT many (besides the price) is that these are always nicely displayed at the resort. I always know that whenever I go, I can admire these pieces up close. It's almost like having them for my very own without having to pay for them.
    That's a good point. I just received a shipment of all the Tomart Disneyana Magzines from #1 through #35 and madly paged through them all last night. Each one has a WDCC section, some issues have bigger sections depending on what was being released. I also has his book Official Price Guide to Disney Collectibles. I was planning on just photo copying pages of the stuff I wanted to acquire that I saw in the magazines and then reselling the magazines, but the magazines themselves are actually quite impress little collectibles! The articles and pictures are much better than what is in his book.

I'm going to be really curious if he has any articles in his later issues post 2000 that I have yet to get that discuss the effect of Ebay on WDCC sales? I'm guessing not as I got the sense that from a publisher standpoint, it's not a wide thing to publish 'bad news' articles to your readership. Will also be interesting to compare how much advertising is in the latest magazines compared to 10 years ago. It was interesting to see at about what, Issue 10 or so, you first start seeing website addresses in the ads.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, I'm finding that collecting the "Small World" WDCC pieces is not too hard. There are always pieces up for sale on Ebay, and if I wait, they all show up eventually. Well, maybe...there have been a couple that I've not seen. Still, the prices have not ever been over retail though, so I'm sure mine will never appreciate in value. I'm not collecting for the money, but it is always nice to have something you like that's valuable too, LOL! I did get a couple of the retired ones as gifts, so I have no idea how much they paid for them (India and Africa), but I try never to pay full price for them. Oh, and my mom found Spain at the Disney Character Outlet for 50% off. So, I'm working my way through, starting with the retired pieces, then I'll get the rest....

hello fellow collectors! i am looking for a bit of advice about these figures, i have recently started collecting, just a few favs, but most are early ones so i have to buy them off ebay. the problem i have been having is crazing on these pieces, even though i repeatedly ask sellers to check the figures for crazing, and are told there isnt any, they are still all turning up with it 90% of the time. now, am i being too fussy?! is it something that is bound to happen eventually with age? should i give up my endless search for a crazingless figure?! or should i be asking for refunds? i havent as yet as i felt it was just me being very fussy, but you see so many advertised as without chips cracks or crazing, it makes me think that it is possible to avoid it, and i could still find one without it! so any of you that have been collecting a bit longer than me and have a bit more knowledge, do yours tend to have crazing too? is it really classed as damage? thank you!!

What is crazing?

its kinda like a web of fine cracks that is often in the glaze or sometimes paint, dont know too much about it though, just that i keep getting figures covered in it! lol

I'll have to check mine when I get home from work. I've never noticed it before if my pieces have it...

• Banned User

Is there a website where you can join??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Disney Shopping has the Membership Kit ~ Which basically includes this years membership gift sculpture ~ Donald, a matchin pin, option to purchase membership only pieces issued during the year, and the "Sketches" magazine. Here is the link

You can purchase most of the pieces without being a member, so you might just want to join if you want to purchase one of the member onlly pieces. Of course, some of the older member only pieces are on the secondary market, and sometimes found on ebay.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 05-18-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast