Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Re: The WDCC Walt Disney Classics Collection Thread

I was given two pices from the WDCC collection as gifts years ago, even though I am not a collector.

One is the Mayor from NBC and the other is Mr. Potato Head from the Toy Story films.

Any advice on how best to divest myself of them without going through ebay?

The pieces are brand new, still in original wrapping and boxes with certificates. They're very nice, but since I don't have (or want to start collecting) the whole series, I'd rather get rid of them.

• Banned User

Maybe try the buy/sell lounge. Some collector may take them off your hands for a price that you set.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Disney Shopping has the Membership Kit ~ Which basically includes this years membership gift sculpture ~ Donald, a matchin pin, option to purchase membership only pieces issued during the year, and the "Sketches" magazine. Here is the link
    I think you....my husband will curse you!

• Banned User

I'm wondering....on ebay...what is the best way to find the deals? Someone mentioned misspelling, etc. I want to see what I can find! ha! I found a Jim Shore for .99 cents tonight! It retails for $40. With shipping, I got that piece for $8.99. Unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Maybe try the buy/sell lounge. Some collector may take them off your hands for a price that you set.
    Thanks.

I may do exactly that.

I've got way too much Disney stuff as is (mostly books, magazines, press kits, WDI/CM pubs etc ...) Never really into the figs as nice as they are!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Thanks.

I may do exactly that.

I've got way too much Disney stuff as is (mostly books, magazines, press kits, WDI/CM pubs etc ...) Never really into the figs as nice as they are!

You could definitely use a thread to unload a lot of it. I have a thread in the merchandise thread if you want to see an example of one. I've moved quite a bit of stuff without going ebay and I'm sure you would too!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I've moved quite a bit of stuff without going ebay and I'm sure you would too!
    That saves a lot of dough too, because Ebay fees are rediculous these days! If people pay you with Paypal....you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You could definitely use a thread to unload a lot of it. I have a thread in the merchandise thread if you want to see an example of one. I've moved quite a bit of stuff without going ebay and I'm sure you would too!
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

I have seen people paying ridiculous prices for stuff on E-Bay ... $5 for the current Eyes and Ears for instance. And I'm not looking to take anyone. Just like to rid myself of some of my Disney clutter and make a small/fair profit.

I have literally a walk-in closet full of stuff, plus an office, plus a little here and there ... a bit too OCD in my younger days!

• Saving Wizard City :)

We recently acquired the prototype Skeleton at the Helm piece in silent auction during the Disney canal crossing cruise. They had some amazing stuff on auction, but this piece stayed within a reasonable (in our opinion) price range and seemed a good cruise momento for a family with a POTC addicted four year old. Although it is a bit funny since it is the prototype, it came with the 'not to be sold' sticker still on the bottom. Now I have to try to control myself and not get anything else to go with our skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by consultant View Post

Anyway, I've got three questions for you WDCC afficionados:

Question 2: (Sort of related to 1) Can anyone give me an example of a piece that came out, say 3 years ago +/- 6 months, that is selling at the original retail price on Ebay or more? Maybe some low number LE piece, signature series, etc?
    Consultant, I can't think of a lot that have come out that recently that have really appreciated, especially given where the general economy is. However, you will find that there are a few pieces that generally sell (even on Ebay) for retail if not much more. I've listed a few of the pieces that I can think of off the top of my head, although most of these are older than 3 years old. You can go to www.wdccduckman.com to find pictures and the release date on these (in the secondary price guide section):

Cinderella's Dress - "A Lovely Dress for Cinderelly"
    Field Mouse - "Little April Shower" (this is the first WDCC piece, I believe)
    Princess Aurora & Prince Phillip (Pink Dress) - "A Dance in the Clouds" (not to be confused with the open edition blue dress)
    Maleficent as the Dragon - "Now You Shall Deal with Me" (this was a convention piece, generally these are much rarer and go for more but they are very pricey - i.e. $1000+)
    Chernabog - "Night on Bald Mountain" (again, a convention piece)
    The Fairy Sculptures from Fantasia (there are 3, but the autumn fairies have a particularly high resale value)
    Willie the Giant - "Big Trouble" (another convetion piece)
    Monstro from Pinnochio - "Monstro's Revenge" (another convention piece)
    Pretty much anything that is Theme Park specific goes for high prices - i.e. the original Pirates sculpture, the Haunted Mansion, the sculptures of a few of the characters in their ride vehicles (Mr. Toad, etc.)

Stuff that is a little more recent and has really appreciated:
    Beast & Belle - "She Didn't Shutter At My Paw"
    Jessica Rabbit - "I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way"
    Lock, Shock & Barrel from NBC - These have just exploded - you will pay way more than sticker price for them even on Ebay unless you are really lucky

So in general, I think it is a takeaway of a few things. The items you see here are pretty old (as in the Bambi sculpture), were very limited edition (the theme park, convention pieces, Sleeping Beauty in the pink dress), have amazing detail (most of these, but particularly something like the fairies), or have some "cult" appeal to them (NBC, Jessica Rabbit). For example, Lock, Shock and Barrel each originally sold for $55 retail and now they regularly go for over $200 each on Ebay. I think there weren't *that* many of them made in relationship to the amount of Jack Skellington's made (who would have thought people wanted those 3 versus some of the other characters?), but with the takeoff of NBC in general and how into some of the characters people get, these guys just took off. So I think you need a bit of luck or the ability to read the future about what characters might really take off with the public/collectors.

But if you could get any of those above at decent prices, you could probably make a good deal on them. Other than that, I just don't see the WDCC pieces really appreciating much esp. with the economy like it is. As most people mentioned, people just buy them on EBAY at significant discounts to retail and I'm not sure if that is enough that you'd want to do it for a business.

Hope that helps!

-Alisa

Another question for other WDCC collectors out there - I am going to move away from Southern California for a couple years to get a graduate degree (*sniff* at not having Disneyland an hour away) and am going to put most of my Classics Collection pieces into storage. I'm debating whether I need a climate controlled unit or not, because the WDCC pieces are the only thing that would really warrant it (I'm not storing any electronics or anything). Given that I'm relatively near the ocean so say not too many days over 90 degrees throughout the year, do you think A/C is warranted for these, or will they be okay without it? They obviously won't be in direct sunlight, but I'm sure the unit will get warm from the building heating up each day.

Thanks for your opinions!

-Alisa

• Too far from Disney World

Another piece that sells really well is the Donald playing the drums. I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head...
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Geoff London

I noticed that Rowi (in the other thread) had Snow White and the Witch from a series completely different to mine. Over here in the U K, Royal Doulton issue the Walt Disney Showcase. The figurines are porcelian. Here's mine:

s lights

Not wanting to de-rail this figurine thread but I also have many Jim Shore figures - Cinderella, Fairy Godmother, Lucifer, Jaq & Gus, Donald (fireman and Christmas lights tangle) as well as Mickey & Minnie in "Homegrown"- a spoof of the "American Gothic" painting.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

new WDCC out 10/4
    http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservic...8_signing.html

Looks cool. you dont see many figures of jack in the pumpkin king form

Very cool thread! Thanks for posting. This is where I go to get all my WDCC... they're are practically the only store around in my neck of the woods that sells them anymore. Plus they've got some older pieces that are harder to find.

Walt Disney Classics Collection

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567