Figurine Repair??

Hi All-

I have two Disney figures taht have been broken and I am looking for a professional to repair them. Does anyone know of a place in the Bay Area I could take them?? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Re: Figurine Repair??

I don't know of anything in that area, but how are the broken?

• Shablagoo!

Another question. What are they made of?

They were in a box in the top of my closet and my kitten knocked the box down and they fell all the way to the floor. (this was probably 2 or 3 years ago) They are made of porcolein (sp?) One of them is the original Mickey self portrait. The picture is of walt. The other one is of Alice in Wonderland sitting undera tree with the cheshire cate in the tree. I got that one about 15 years ago. I have wrapped each piece seperately and stored them. The breaks aren't too bad, but I want a professional to put it back together and possibly do some touch up paint, etc.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

are they clean breaks??? meaninng no missing little flakes or large chunks eg: Mickeys ear broke off??? or the cat broke out of the tree???

They are mostly really clean breaks, but there may be some little flakes missing which is why I want someone who may be able to touch up the paint, porcelein, etc...

sounds like your figurines are WDCC correct?

this company is authorized to repair those

http://www.trefler.com/index.html

might be pricey though...

oops! i just reread and saw you wanted somewhere in the bay area...
    Last edited by HorseyJesse; 02-13-2008 at 02:16 PM.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Coincidence is that we also own a furniture repair and refinishing business , I also do ceramic repair mostly for myself and a few clients since it is so time consuming and I am such a perfectionist I cannot charge the time it takes me. Here are the basics : I use an epoxy glue to reglue the broken parts , first fit the part so that you know the correct fit and position, before applying the glue and be prepared to hold the piece in positon for up to a minute and DO NOT get any on your fingers either you will glue yourself to the part or your fingers together , if it does happen laquer thinner will remove the glue. And as with anything less is more! Next to make parts and fill chips there is a product called Epoxy Putty you can find it on the line from several sources , it comes in a roll , looks like clay and you need to knead it to mix the putty . This stuff is great you can mold it , fill with it, then use a moistened finger to smooth it out and remove excess and even sand it with a fine grit 400 to 600 paper to level and fit.
    When you are satisfied with the glue and filling and texture or smoothness of the repaired area , now you can paint. A good paint / craft store like Michaels sells glass, ceramic paint. The trick is mixing the color I like to mix my colors on a pc of glass that I can hold over the area I am touching up to see the match before applying. Lastley depending on the sheen of the pc I clear coat the area with either clear gloss, semi gloss or flat as needed.
    I have repaired Hummels for customers and some of the older Disney american pottery and Japan early figurines and have been very sucessful using these methods. Just remember patience I have painted and touched areas several times and wiped off until I am happy with the results.
    Go slow , allow suffiecient drying times , and its broken now so it cannot get any worse and if your repair fails look some more for a professional.

HorseyJesse- Have you heard of this company through a referral or have you used them??? These figurines are very important to me and I want to make sure they get repaired well and taken care of...thanks for the suggestion. I emailed them to see what it might cost and what would be involved.

Luckily I haven't needed their services, but they are highly recommended by Duckman over at http://www.wdccduckman.com/ who is one of the most knowledgeable people on the collection that i can find. Like i said, they are authorized in and specialize in WDCC repairs, so it may be worth it to you.