Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Dave Avanzino Tiki Room

I just noticed on Disneygallery.com that the Tiki Room 45 Anniversary will be Sunday in June. Click on the event information and you can see all the merchandise that will be offered. Dave is there but they haven't posted a picture of his new shadow box. I am really excited about this one. His work is just so awesome, and helps to relive trips to the park.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Re: Dave Avanzino Tiki Room

I'm also anxiously awaiting its release...I'm sure in keeping with all his other work it will prove to be nothing less than spectacular!!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

I was so happy to hear he was doing another Tiki Room box, he did one 5 years ago for the 40th anniversary. And now to see he has TWO coming out, an open stock one and an LE 10, Im going to start saving my $$$ now for the LE 10 (don't need a picture to tell I'm going to want it)

• Banned User

It is releasing in June??? WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait. I love these things, they are addicting!

• Banned User

The picture is now up for the Tiki Room Dave Avanzino at Disneygallery.com. It is a beauty too! Another great item from Dave to add to my collection. I hope he never stops making these and completes the entire park (wishful thinking).

http://www.register123.com/event/acc...iki_Finals.jpg
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-04-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinking code

Just a note, for those of you that didn't see the picture on DisneyGallery.com, the picture for the open stock one. Still waiting for pictures of the LE 10 piece (and fearing the price).

• Banned User

Wink Re: Dave Avanzino Tiki Room

OK Dave, if you are reading these posts, give us a clue as to what is next after the Tiki Room.

Hey there all.
    I DO read these posts so careful what you say

Fortunately for me, it's mostly all positive. Thank you so much for all of your nice comments about my work. It's very encouraging to get so much positive feedback.

I'm glad you liked the Tiki piece. I thought it turned out well and I enjoyed getting to sculpt the frame which is something I don't get to do on the handmade pieces. I have designed the limited edition TIKI ROOM piece but we are waiting for approval from the various Disney departments that have to give the OK before it can be created. As soon as it's approved we will post the image (and price) online.

As far as the next shadowbox piece goes . . . it will be "The Jungle Cruise." I have all of my reference (I got a private tour!) and have roughed it out but now I need to do more detailed drawings that can be sent in for approval before I make the sample to send overseas. It most likely won't be coming out until 2009. I hope it will be worth the wait.

Thanks again.
    Dave Avanzino

•   

Sweeeet!! I can't wait!! The boxes just keep getting better!! I have complete faith Jungle Cruise will knock our socks off yet further! It's just the agonizing wait.....lol worse than Christmas!

• Banned User

Dave, thanks for the heads up on the Jungle Cruise. That is so cool! I am excited for that one too, along with all of the shadowboxes you create. THank you for sharing your talent with us all at a really decent price point that allows us to relive our Disneyland trips in our homes daily. I declare myself one of the Avanzino groupies. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy but loves the boxes too. CONGRATULATIONS on another outstanding box.

• Banned User

The Tiki Room is AMAZING!!!!!! Maybe my favorite to date. I have a lot of them, and, I cannot wait to see this one (on my wall!!!) in person!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by davanzino View Post
    Hey there all.
    I DO read these posts so careful what you say

Fortunately for me, it's mostly all positive. Thank you so much for all of your nice comments about my work. It's very encouraging to get so much positive feedback.

I'm glad you liked the Tiki piece. I thought it turned out well and I enjoyed getting to sculpt the frame which is something I don't get to do on the handmade pieces. I have designed the limited edition TIKI ROOM piece but we are waiting for approval from the various Disney departments that have to give the OK before it can be created. As soon as it's approved we will post the image (and price) online.

As far as the next shadowbox piece goes . . . it will be "The Jungle Cruise." I have all of my reference (I got a private tour!) and have roughed it out but now I need to do more detailed drawings that can be sent in for approval before I make the sample to send overseas. It most likely won't be coming out until 2009. I hope it will be worth the wait.

Thanks again.
    Dave Avanzino
    Do tell, Dave....how did you come up with such a cool idea in general, for these shadowboxes? They are SO unique and so amazing. You've captured all of the lands and the rides so well. I just love these boxes and I'm just grateful I caught on before ALL of the lands were gone (I did miss quite a few, but, such is life). I'd love to know what started the process.

Thanks for the great pieces...you have decorated a room in my home!

Janine

P.S. Cannot wait to see Jungle Cruise now !!!

Dear "I Heart Disneyland."
    Thanks for your nice words about my artwork. To answer your question, I came up with the idea originally while I was walking the park doing reference for another project I can't remember. I think I saw the Matterhorn and came up with the idea of using it as a letter. Soon after that I was asked to come up with a concept for the 2001 Disneyana Convention in Anaheim which was based on a family reunion at Disneyland. They liked the idea so I created a handmade limited edition of 10 of the word "Disneyland" and 5 each of the original 5 lands. These pieces sold for $900 each and were gone pretty fast. When Disneyland's 50th Anniversary started to come around a few years later I was asked again for an idea and I thought that if we could come up with a way to mass-produce a less expensive version of those land pieces it would be very popular. We had limited success with the first overseas piece I created for Peter Pan. We did it all as one unit like a resin plaque and it just didn't reflect my work enough for me. When we decided we wanted to try these pieces we chose to create each letter individually like I do and attach them to the backgrounds separately. We were really happy with the result and it allowed me to come up with even more complicated pieces like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion.

For each piece I do as much research as I can in person, in books and online. Some lands and attractions are easier than others and there is typically some strong obvious elements like the Matterhorn or Space Mountain. I try to get as many of the key elements from each land and attraction in there first and then fill it in with other pieces that may not be as obvious like the Ghost "S" in Haunted Mansion. The most fun is when I get to do a walk-though of an attraction like Pirates or the Haunted Mansion when it's closed. You can't ask for more than that. After I have my research I do a concept sketch and send it in for approval. Once I have approval on the concept I create a more detailed rendering and send it in again. Everything has to go through many layers of approval and there are always some surprises. For instance, I found out that I could not use "Club 33" for New Orleans Square because it is not owned by Disneyland. There are also copyright and royalty issues that come up sometimes that prevent me from using certain elements or sound in the pieces. Once all of that is finally taken care of I sculpt and paint the pieces and the box. The sample is sent overseas and, sadly, is destroyed to make the molds. I do like the fact that the molds are made from my sculpts and not someone else so it is worth it. Samples are shipped over and the elements, color and placement are corrected until we have a sample we can sign off on. After that it is just a matter of waiting until the initial order is completed, shipped and placed into the stores. The entire process take about a year.

I hope that answers your questions.
    Sincerely,
    Dave Avanzino

Thanks for the insights Dave. When creating an LE hand made piece, obviously don't have to worry about factories overseas and samples back and forth. How long dose the process take total on those?

•   

Wow! Thanks for the 'behind the scenes' peak at your brilliance Dave!

Fascinating, all the samples, and back n' forthing that goes on.

Does Disney pick the factory (ies) in China?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast