• Distant Disneylandaholic

Sad Avanzino DL Shadowbox - Broken & Odd DelivEARS Customer Service

Hi all:

By way of background, I just received my Avanzino Disneyland Shadowbox from Disneyland DelivEARs and the "N" in Disneyland is loose and banging around. I could hear something loose in the box and was afraid something was wrong. I called DelivEARS right after opening it and the lady I spoke with said she would "write it up" and someone will get back to me in 72 hours to see if I can send it back for a replacement and how that might work. My questions are:

1. Is this typical DelivEARs customer service? Shouldn't they have someone available to talk to when you call? It seemed like odd customer service to me. DelivEARS has always been so great to work with when I'm ordering stuff. Seems like when there's a return they aren't so anxious to help--typical corporate approach, I'm afraid. I guess I expected better. If this is typical, then I'll just wait. If it's not typical, I'll try back to get someone else.

2. Are they going to be charging me shipping back and forth? The customer service person didn't even know.

3. Does anyone know if it is possible to "break into" the box without damaging things? If so, I can just do it myself and glue the "N" in place and save myself the hassle. I've looked all around the box and it seems to be tightly sealed.

Any insight is appreciated. I've been looking forward to this coming and it's disappointing to have it broken and to not even know if Disneyland will allow for an exchange and what the process is.

However, to end on a happy note: Tinkerbell and Haunted Mansion shadowboxes arrived without damage These things are gorgeous (even the broken one). I'd seen pictures online, but they are much better in person.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Avanzino DL Shadowbox - Broken & Odd DelivEARS Customer Service

Hi Dr. G
    This is from Dave Avanzino, the artist who designed that piece. So sorry for the damaged item but it does happen. I don't have a lot of control over how they assemble them overseas and it's frustrating when I hear people receive a broken item.

I have been able to open up these pieces but it is not easy. They are not framed the way we frame artwork. They are not designed to be opened up but you can do it.

First of all remove the hanging hardware and save it.

To get the black paper off you can do one of two things.
    1. Cut the letter key out as clean as you can with a ruler and exacto knife and save it. You can then tear the rest of the paper off and just replace it when you're finished with the repairs. After that you can use spray glue to attach the letter key to the back of the new paper.
    2. Using a heat gun, start at one corner and heat up the edge of the black paper. This will loosen the tape on the back and you will eventually be able to peel the entire piece off. It takes time and patience but it's worth it.

You the need to remove the artwork which has usually been glued into the frame in a few spots. I've always been able to pry them out.

To re-attach the letter I like to use clear adhesive calk which you can get at the hardware store. I like it because it does not dry out like other glue.

While you're in there check the other letter to see if they are secure. Better to fix them now.

You can put the piece back in with a few spots of the caulk or even a glue gun.

If you got the black paper off you'll need to get double sided tape to re-attach it. You can use it form a tape dispenser or get one of the roll-on kinds used for scrapbooking.

Screw the hardware back on and you're ready to go.

Let me know how it goes.
    Sincerely,
    Dave Avanzino

Thanks again Dave for insight into these pieces. I always wonder how they were put together.

Dave:

THANK YOU for the information. I'm always hesitant to start cutting into something without knowing what it looks like underneath--especially something this beautiful. Two quick questions (I hope):

1. Is there something solid between the black paper backing and the "wallpaper" that you see inside the box that has the names of the lands (the background)? If I cut out the letter key, I don't want to cut through the background of the artwork too. Will I hit something "hard" (wood or otherwise) to stop the knife, or will I need to be careful to cut through only one level of the black paper?

2. How hot does a heat gun have to be? Would a blow dryer work?

THANKS! I absolutely LOVE your artwork--just sorry to have discovered it too late. I'll stay on top of it now and I think you've got yet another addicted customer. I've ordered DL, HM, POTC, and Tinkerbell from DelivEARS and I'm watching ebay religiously to get the others. Do you have any idea if Disneyland intends to re-release these land shadowboxes someday? I've asked several people at DelivEARs and emailed merchandise, but nobody seems to know (do you know anybody who would know?). Sorry - I guess that was a third and fourth question

Dave

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    Hi all:

By way of background, I just received my Avanzino Disneyland Shadowbox from Disneyland DelivEARs and the "N" in Disneyland is loose and banging around. I could hear something loose in the box and was afraid something was wrong. I called DelivEARS right after opening it and the lady I spoke with said she would "write it up" and someone will get back to me in 72 hours to see if I can send it back for a replacement and how that might work. My questions are:

1. Is this typical DelivEARs customer service? Shouldn't they have someone available to talk to when you call? It seemed like odd customer service to me. DelivEARS has always been so great to work with when I'm ordering stuff. Seems like when there's a return they aren't so anxious to help--typical corporate approach, I'm afraid. I guess I expected better. If this is typical, then I'll just wait. If it's not typical, I'll try back to get someone else.

2. Are they going to be charging me shipping back and forth? The customer service person didn't even know.

3. Does anyone know if it is possible to "break into" the box without damaging things? If so, I can just do it myself and glue the "N" in place and save myself the hassle. I've looked all around the box and it seems to be tightly sealed.
    !
    I had the same experience with DelivEARS when my shadowbox arrived broken. I refused to have them call me back. I asked to speak to someone NOW, (I said it nicely, but, I was firm...I wasn't going to get a call back in 3 days!) and they did let me speak to someone. And, it was a good thing, because a POTC shadowbox I'd returned in November, was STILL not credited back to my credit card, and, this was in January, I believe. The gal told me that she was going to call me soon to tell me about it. Gads. So, watch out for that too! I think they used to be a lot better, to be honest. They WILL get your box to you, but, the service is lacking, in my opinion.

The boxes are incredible. I got a POTC and a HM broken, but, they DID replace them, it just took me being a little more forceful than normal...to get someone to listen to me at the time of my call, and, not return the call later. I wasn't calling on my day off to have someone call me on a day I am working!

They will send you a FED EX or UPS label to send it back to them. All you have to do is drop it at a UPS/Fed Ex (I forgot which) location, and, be sure to get a receipt from them...that you DID drop it. (I do that every time.) Also, they will not charge you for shipping a 2nd time. They may even give you a discount, I don't know. But, I hope they have another one to send to you!!! Best of luck. It worked out in my case, both times I got broken shadowboxes.
    Last edited by I Heart Disneyland; 03-19-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Thank You for the information! I'm encouraged. Maybe I'll give them 48 hours and call back

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    Thank You for the information! I'm encouraged. Maybe I'll give them 48 hours and call back
    Call tomorrow, tell them you'd like to speak to someone, because I do not think they are there on the weekend. They will make it right, you just have to be more forceful on talking to someone a.s.a.p. Maybe I'm just a jerk, but, I expect service when I call somewhere when there's a problem.

Thought I'd follow up on this. I just got a call from a VERY NICE person at DelivEARS returns who will be taking care of everything, just like you indicated IHDL. So no worries. She was off yesterday or said she would have called then--they try to call back within one day generally. She's even going to check into getting me a replacement for the POTC which came yesterday with all its pieces intact, but the purple from the P must have touched the glass while still wet during assembly because there's a big purple paint smuge on the glass.

This was the type of service I expected from Disney, so I'm a happy camper again. It's also good to know if there's a problem in the future, I won't have to worry--I'm new at this higher-end Disneyland collectible stuff

Dave: Thank you so much for your response earlier, but it looks like I won't have to dig into the box after all. It's good to know how though, just in case my kids knock one off the wall someday I LOVE your artwork!

To Answer your questions
    1. The black paper is separate from the backing piece of the artwork. You only need to cut through the paper, not the cardboard backing of the artwork. It might have a few pieces of double-stick tape underneath it so you need to use the heat gun to loosen it before you take it off.

2. You might be able to use a hair dryer but I don't know if it will be hot enough. Worth a try.

FYI - this using heat thing is also great for removing most labels from stuff.

Dave Avanzino

Dave: Thanks again for the information on how to take these apart, if it's ever needed

And to report back on Disneyland DelivEARS: The lady there has been EXCELLENT to deal with. My two replacements for Disneyland and Pirates just arrrived in excellent shape with a prepaid return label. So, all is well!

A great day wished to all.