How can you tell if "production cell" is authentic?

I just bought two production cells on eBay - one of Goofy and one of Jiminy Cricket. Question: How can I tell if they are actually "Production Cells?"

Any advice will be appreciated.

Please visit my thread in Yesterland, "My Father owned a restaurant in Disneyland."

Ron
    Don DeFore's Silver Banjo barbecue restaurant
    Frontierland 1957 - 1961

• Hey it's that guy I am.

Re: How can you tell if "production cell" is authentic?

Price might be one way. Ummm, I am not too sure but I think there might be some where and tear by the peg holes. Also might be a bit dingy looking, especially if its jiminy cricket. From what I understand I think that now a days they use sericels, which are usually high grade reproductions of animation cells, and they might call them production cells. This is my recollection of secondhand information, so grain of salt comes free.

• Hangin Around

Ron,

Could you post pictures or post the Ebay item numbers?

good suggestion about listing the eBay item numbers - here are the two "production cells" I bought - would love to get anyone's input as to whether these are real:

ebay item # 130205171107
    ebay item # 130205162801

thanks,
    Ron
    Frontierland 1957 - 1961

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Ron,

It's hard to say if it's a real production cel. I think the only way you could find out is if you have a contact at the Disney Studio library. If there's no COA (certificate of authenticity) then you'll need to do some more research.

$127 isn't a bad price if it really is a production cel. Also, I noticed that the seller has 100% positive feedback which is a good sign as well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Good question. It would be difficult to tell, without seeing the actual cels.

Looking at the Pluto cel, and looking at other items the same seller has up for sale.
    I noticed they have another Pluto cel up for sale, but with a hind leg slightly higher. This would make me tend to believe that they were sequential cels from the same cartoon. The outline of Pluto does look a little heavy handed, but withough knowing what cartoon the cel is from, it might be difficult to determine if that's something to be concerned about.

However, note that the backgrounds are completely different behind the pluto cels.
    So the background probably is NOT the original. But then again, the cel is only claiming that the cels are original production cels. It's not too uncommon that the original background is not with the cel, due to several diferent cels being used on the same background.

Too bad there isn't more info as to what specific cartoons they are from. No notation of any certificate with the cel. There appears to be a generic "Disney" on the bottom right of the cel, not sure if there is anything else besides that.

The Jiminy Cricket looks a little off, so I really don't think that is from the movie "Pinnochio", It's possible it might be from some other Disney short or educational cartoon.

Does the seller have any information on how they acquired the cells?

Hopefully some others here at Micechat will know a little more, or make
    some observations I missed.

• Hangin Around

I think they are original. You should ask the seller if they know what cartoons the cels came from?

Hey - great advice everyone! I'll email the seller and ask some questions and will post what I find.

Let me knwo if anyone knows where to buy original production cells of the following:
    Fantasia - Mickey AND the broomstick
    Lady & The Tramp - both eating spaghetti
    Mickey and the Beanstalk - either Donald and the Cow or all characters in one scene.

Ron
    Frontierland 1957 - 1961

• Lonestar Louisianian

My first thought would be no simply for the price that the seller is asking for these cells. Most authentic production cells featuring main characters run upwards of $1000 or more. It's hard to tell from the pictures on the seller's auctions (actually they look like stills from the actual cartoon) but I've never seen a cell with a Disney logo like it is in the picture. Also, most legitimate production cells will come with a certificate that will explain which cartoon it came from, the scene# (or shot#), and date of production.
    One last thing that bothers me a bit (and I may be missing something here) is that the seller is also pushing item#130213409164 as a production cell. The scene is obviously from Steamboat Willy but, to my knowledge, this cartoon was never in color or colorized. Thus this cell is either NOT a production cell or has been altered.

• Banned User

I recently bought a Pinocchio cel from a gal on Ebay. It is autographed by 2 of Walt's "9 Old Men", Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston. The woman said that her grandmother collected them, and would often go to DL for signings, etc. She ended up with them when her grandmother died. She has a lot of Disney stuff for auction all of the time, and, has great feedback and service. It has the "Walt Disney Certified" seal on it, so, I felt good about it. And, it's darling.