Thread: Future Outlook?

Future Outlook?

Who's the new Nine Old Men for today?

What is the Snow White of today that will be the hot collectible subject 25 years from now, Toy Story?

It's hard to predict.

THe WDCC stuff seems to represent the pinnacle of quality collectibles (other than original handpainted/drawn cels and production artwork from early Disney animations.)

The manufacturing processes today make so much higher quality items. But does the fact there is more mass production offset that?

Will Olszewski 1st edition signed pieces go through the roof in coming years? Or will their appeal subside, recognizing they are (like most things) mass produced resin pieces made in China?

Will Nightmare Before Christmas fans fade as generations pass or will it hold its appeal, like Peter Pan still does today?

Put your personal preferences aside for a moment. Look into your crystal (albeit cloudy) ball. What's your best guess what will be hot, artists wise or subject wise (movie, theme park ride) 25 years from now?

My gut says Toy Story will be big since it represents *almost* what Star Wars represented as far as a major advancement in entertainment at the Cinema. But there don't seem hardly to be any high-quality limited edition collectibles out there? It's all open edition mass-produced stuff (aside from original production art which is VERY rare.)

I think today's Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion collectibles (especially POTC due to movie success) will be hot commodities 25 years from now.

Dave Avanzino's stuff seems very collectible and very limited.

I'm not familiar with who the other 'superstar' artists are though these days. I'm only familiar with names like Frank Thomas and Marc Davis. There's got to be a "9 new artists" emerging, well more like 90 new artists. Who's putting out the most impressive work other than Dave?

Re: Future Outlook?

Me personally, I could care less what is popular and hot in 25 years. I buy what I like today. Hopefully I will still like it down the line, if not, I might sell it to clear some room for something new that I like.

Don't buy something hoping it will be in demand years down the road, get something you really enjoy now.

• Sock Puppet

Kevin Kidney and Jody Daley are who I consider to be not up and coming but already have arrived as legitimate artists who represent Disney so very well. One only needs to look at all the wonderful items that they created for the 50th anniversary. I love their work and look forward to their Tiki room items next month.

Quote Originally Posted by JenChic View Post
    Kevin Kidney and Jody Daley are who I consider to be not up and coming but already have arrived as legitimate artists who represent Disney so very well. One only needs to look at all the wonderful items that they created for the 50th anniversary. I love their work and look forward to their Tiki room items next month.
    I agree. I have several of their 50th Anniv. Items. They are avery high-quality items. I think all of them will appreciate well if they aren't more or less duplicated at some point but some other Disney release.

I like David Kracov's figurine work. It's an interesting polymer clay he uses where the color is in the clay so the pieces are painted.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost View Post
    Me personally, I could care less what is popular and hot in 25 years. I buy what I like today. Hopefully I will still like it down the line, if not, I might sell it to clear some room for something new that I like.

Don't buy something hoping it will be in demand years down the road, get something you really enjoy now.
    That's good advise, but the point of the thread was more just to have people throw out some ideas of what they thought would kinds of things they think have potential to do well in the long term. I not posing this as a "What should I buy" question. I'm just curious on people's different perspectives on the Disney Collectibles market and what niches they think have qualities that they think will make them favorites even farther down the road.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I say another of our new 9 would be Brad Bird. Very talented and he trained...kindof...under the original 9.