Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Spoiled By the New Cruise Ships?

Here's a thought to ponder: My wife mentioned that after cruising on the Disney Dream, she really does not care to cruise on either the Disney Magic or Disney Wonder. I started to think that Disney has and will really spoil their passengers on the Dream and Fantasy with advent of the Aquaduck Water Coaster. It seems like everyone who has experienced this has really loved it.

I brought up the idea of a Hawaiian cruise or Alaskan cruise only to have the idea shot down, since it would not be the same.

Will Disney ever replace the 2 older ships or have them retro-fitted to be comparable to the new ships?

It may be too soon to ask, but like I mentioned, it's just a thought to ponder.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: Spoiled By the New Cruise Ships?

It is an interesting question. I've actually never done a Disney cruise, but hope to do one most likely when my son gets a little older. I've already thought that I would want to go on the Dream or Fantasy before the Magic or Wonder.

I don't think Disney would fit them to the standard of adding the Aquaduck. The midship game? Probably. Like other cruise companies, Disney might update their rooms but don't expect much. All the ships have a unique character so Disney won't redesign them to look identical.

• MiceChat Travel Partner

I have been on all three ships and have heard from many people their preferences--they usually fall into two categories--they love the AquaDuck and the Dream or they think it is too big and love the classic feel of the Magic and Wonder.

That said, I don't think that DCL would retrofit the older ships with the Aqua Duck (space, appeal) but perhaps something different? I do see them adding the Mickey Detective Agency game though.
    MiceChat Preferred Travel Partner

Contact us to book your next Disney Vacation!

I wanted to express my appreciation for the recent posts and also to the mention in the 10/12 MC Round-Up. Thanks Al (?) (Hope I got that one right.)

Anyway, it will be interesting what DCL has in store for the older ships after the Fantasy goes on-line.

Happy sailing.

I'll take a cruise on whichever of the ships I can get on! Sure, I'd love to go on the new big ones, because they look awesome, but we've got the Wonder out here, which is much more convenient.

And we have Alaska scheduled for May 2012. I cannot wait!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Tonka's Skipper

Smile Re: Spoiled By the New Cruise Ships?

I really think the disney design is so classic and unique that the Magic and Wonder will never be short of loyal passingers. Will DCL up date and add to them....of course........but those vessel are timeless in thier overall design and (with proper mainetance) will last another 30 years with no problem!

AKK

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I just returned from a cruise on the Dream, and to be honest, there are things I liked better about the Dream, and things I liked better from when I was on the Magic. I could see them updating some of the things on the Magic / Wonder, but on the other hand there were some "updates" on the Dream, that I did not care for and would love to see changed to match more of what's on the Magic. But in the end, each ship has their own personality and uniqueness to them, and I would hate to see that lost.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Midway Game? Mickey's Detective Agency? What are these??
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Midway Game? Mickey's Detective Agency? What are these??
    An interactive game aimed at kids .. sort of a scavenger hunt where the hanging pictures are interactive with you. The pictures are actually video screens with cameras and you do various things like move your hand to look around the scene, etc. The game has photos on most decks in the mid part of the ship.. hence the 'mid ship game', etc

To the OP - Disney will constantly update the boats as they go through their overhaul cycles and update furnishings, resturants, etc. I don't see them needing to add the aquaduck, but I imagine they will update the clubs, finishings, room amenities, technology, etc as they see fit. The boats have regular dry-dock schedules where they can do major overhauls as well as they can do incremental rollouts depending on what the change is.

As long as Disney maintains the boats.. the driving factor will still probably be the itinaries. By moving the magic/wonder out of the carribean... Disney is avoiding that direct 'which do I chose' decision where the only major differences are the boats.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Location is a bigger factor for me than which ship I'm on. I'd rather go on the Magic or Wonder to a place I want to see, than on the Dream to someplace I don't. That's not to diss the Dream- I'm sure she's beautiful. But I'm a west-coaster, and I would rather take a trip closer to home.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

It's great to get everyone's point of view regarding this topic. I'm glad that it's stayed on top of the board for more than a couple of months. It must be a very interesting topic indeed. Keep em coming.

Alas, being a part of the west-coaster groups, my wife really hates the flight and would much rather spend time in DL area, whereas, I really enjoy the WDW area. So it looks like it may be a couple of more years now before I can get back to FL.

I'm looking forward to my next cruise, don't know when, but we are truely Disney fans.

• DLR Cast Member

I've been on the Magic and Wonder, and honestly, there is so much to do, so much to see, and so much to get immersed in, and the staff treats passengers so well, that I can't see anyone being underwhelmed by sailing aboard these vessels, whether you've been on the Fantasy or not. It's kind of like saying, "which is better, Enterprise A or the Enterprise E?". They're not like-for-like comparable. So it is with the Disney cruise ships.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I only know of one downgrade that the two bigger ships have in comparison to the smaller ones and that is the Animator's Palate restaurant. Magic and Wonder's versions are so much cooler because the whole dining room changes color and the dining staff get involve in the action. On the Dream the color-changing dining room is out and the show is basically a Turtle Talk with Crush. Lame.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• former CM

We will probably book an inside cabin on the Wonder. My daughter is disappointed that we won't have a virtual window that the starfish and Mickey appear in. Any chance these cool virtual windows will be added to the two older ships?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast