Disney Fantasy arrived in NYC today!

Anybody have any info about the Fantasy's christening ceremony? Ill be in NY on thursday and friday hoping it will still be around the harbor!

Re: Disney Fantasy arrived in NYC today!

Anyone know anything about the christening cereminy. this evening wil it be open to the public. i saw the shipdocked this afternoon (looks fantastic) but cant find info about it anywjere.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 03-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Hello hello echo echo echo....

oh i forgot this was MC...
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 03-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I just saw something on GMA about it pulling into NYC. Haven't heard anything else.

Had to actually go elsewhere to actually gwt info. ship been in NY since tuesday or wednesday very vague reason why. and got christened in a private indoor.ceremony with Mariah Carey as the godmother. it leaves NY tomorrow apparently only invited guests allowed on board for the festivities. travel agents got.to tour.the ship. NO idea why this was closed to fan/public and hosted in NY if the point was to give it some publicity as i keep hearing but then they keep everything so low key and secretive. DCL announce to fans on facebook. only a few hours before it started to follow them on twitter....hello why would i want to follow on twitter if im using facebook, i dont want twitter. not even a streaming video was avail like for the Dream.

And where was D23 during all this. oh thats right Nowhere! couldnt even arrange to get a.tour with the travel agents and media. guess NY too far away from the real disney fans that only live in so cal
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 03-01-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typing on phone

• MiceChat Travel Partner

Sorry I was in South Africa and just saw this thread --The christenings are very popular and there is not much room for everyone so they are usually by invitation only.

If I were you I would just run down to the dock and take pictures, knowing I was there when she first came to the US! (I did about the same thing when the Magic was diverted to Galveston during a particularly bad hurricane season). If there is a restaurant nearby I would make an evening of it, taking pictures in the daylight, eat dinner, then pictures at night.

If you get out there would you share some pictures with us?

Teresa
    MiceChat Preferred Travel Partner

Contact us to book your next Disney Vacation!

Hope you enjoyed your trip to S. Africa!

I fully understand that there is limited room so invite only was necessary, I don't think most people are too upset about that either. But what is upsetting to most people I think is that NO fans/public got to partake in it at all, even by streaming video like the Dream had. At it's core the Walt Disney Company is an entertainment company and to host an event strictly for the elite privlidged few was a very questionable choice. The ship was built for the people to enjoy not to serve as a private party boat. Now since the decision was made to do this inside where space would be even more limited they could certainly made provisions to get some of the public to participate even if it was 100 or so. Instead the only people invited were celebrities (if you can call some of them that) and media. I would even have been satisfied to hear about local school kids getting to check it out or maybe a school band performing. Instead only travel agent are the only ones I know of who got a tour. What about opening the tour to DVC, D23 members or even Castaway Club members, the people who are more likely to be paying for future cruises.

They hyped the ship all throughout the building process and included us nearly every step of the way then after anxiously anticipating it's arrival in the USA we get excluded from the grand finally. The cruise line is like an extension of the parks that we all love so much. This ship Christening was the equivilant to a park opening, something most people in the North East wouldn't normally get a change to experience. Whenever there is a new park to open even a new attraction there is always previews to annual pass holders before the official opening. To have something like this in our backyard and not get to partake in ANY part of it was very disappointing. I didn't go to NY just to see the ship, it was just a coincidence I had plans to be there anyways. So Im not really too upset personally about not getting any chance but that none of the little people was good enough to be invited on board the whole time the Fantasy sat docked at pier 88.

A lot of other people seem to be upset about the choice of Mariah Cary as the ship's godmother too, which I really don't find too upsetting just not who I would have picked. Some people are just being ridiculous saying they will never step foot on board cause of her now, well that is just insane and those people probably had no intension of even sailing of the Fantasy to begin with. Looking at previous Disney ships christenings they all had a good connection or contribution to the WDC. Magic christened by Roy E Disney and his (then) wife Patty, Wonder had Tinkerbell(first time a character was ever a ship's godmother) and the Dream had Jennifer Hudson who was a crew member on DCL before making it big through American Idol. Mariah is apparently a disney fan who honeymooned at WDW few years ago and performed couple times for the WDW Christmas parade taping. I would have preferred someone with a stronger connection to the Disney brand or even someone more synonymous with NY. Even though Mariah is from there, I don't think of New York in relation to her accomplishments.

---------- Post added 03-03-2012 at 01:16 PM ----------
    This was the best I could do for pics. Taken from the pick up drop of ramp of the terminal where the ship was located it was AWESOME to see it so close. The bow of the ship was practically touching the terminal.

Last edited by Disney Magic; 03-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Mariah Carrey Christens Disney Fantasy video:Godmother Mariah Carey Christens the Disney Fantasy in New York City - YouTubeMariah spoke to Bob Iger, Minnie Mouse and a crowd of Fanta-tastic guests when she heartily cristened the beautiful ship, and wished everyone that travels on the ship a fun-filled journey, and God Bless! Another wonderful Disney ship sets sail representing to all the world what American enterprise can accomplish on land, in the air, and at sea!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Again while Im not upset about Mariah, I would.have.preferred someone else. I have also heard she wasnt comfortable standing the the ledge of.the.hatch to christen thd ship. so the had Minnie do it with Nick Cannon. to me that means Minnie is the actaul godmother, it is.my understnd that breakinf the bottle was the primary function of the role. Apparently she was not even able to stay for the whole evenings celebration she rushed off to a concert right after giving the brief blessing. Really wish they had given the honor to someone who would have appreciated it more and could actually be bothered to celebrate the occasion. Would have been nice if the could have got Russi Taylor, since,minnie actually Christened the ship and she is the statue in the atrium of the Fantasy. There are a lot of better choices in my opinion that would have ben more fitting than Mariah.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Again while Im not upset about Mariah, I would.have.preferred someone else. I have also heard she wasnt comfortable standing the the ledge of.the.hatch to christen thd ship. so the had Minnie do it with Nick Cannon. to me that means Minnie is the actaul godmother, it is.my understnd that breakinf the bottle was the primary function of the role. Apparently she was not even able to stay for the whole evenings celebration she rushed off to a concert right after giving the brief blessing. Really wish they had given the honor to someone who would have appreciated it more and could actually be bothered to celebrate the occasion. Would have been nice if the could have got Russi Taylor, since,minnie actually Christened the ship and she is the statue in the atrium of the Fantasy. There are a lot of better choices in my opinion that would have ben more fitting than Mariah.
    I didn't realize that Mariah Carey had left the event early. Although she delivered a nice enough christening speach, Carey's actions here show that she lives in her own little self-imoportant world, and truely appreciates nothing. She's also a an out-of-shape windbag that prefers to show off vocal inflections on every song she performs as opposed to demonstrating distinction, clarity, varience in tone, and personality. She's a castaway on some self-created unchartered island inside her brain. Think I'll nickname her Pariah Scarey..
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-06-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!