• former CM

Alaska cruise Was there a pirate themed night & other Qs

Howdy folks!

If you went on a Disney Alaska cruise this past summer of 2012, was there a pirate-themed night?

Did you use Disney's transportation ($25 per person for 12 miles each way) to & from the airport to the ship? If so, what was that like?

How was the weather? Did it rain often?

Did you bring bug repellent? If so, where did you buy it?

What other tips do you have?

Thanks in advance!
    Jcruise86

Re: Alaska cruise Was there a pirate themed night & other Qs

Now this is bad - I don't remember if there was a pirate night. I'm guessing that is therefore a "no"....

Did not use Disney's transportation (we came early and stayed later than our cruise). We took a taxi, though, from the port to the airport (to rent a car). Was a bit more expensive than the bus, but it worked out.

Weather was gorgeous (we went in May). Cloudy, but warm enough, and we only had rain one day. I'm told Skagway almost always has rain, but it was nice for us.

There weren't bugs as far as I noticed. If you're going later in the season, you should probably bring some repellent.

Tips- spend time on deck. Watch the water for whales and orcas, watch the shoreline for bears. Bring a camera. Enjoy the glacier. You may have a naturalist on board- talk to him. We did on ours- he told stories, answered questions, pointed things out. Go to his talks in the theater.

Enjoy your cruise!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• former CM

^^Thanks, Alphabassetgrrl!

• DMTNT

Unless things changed on the entertainment between 2011 and 2012 there was a Pirates IN the Caribbean deck party. Funny since you are not in the Caribbean. They do not do fireworks though since it would violate Alaska laws.

We didn't use the Disney transportation since we came in early and stayed across the street from the port in Vancouver (we went in 2011 when they left out of Vancouver, I believe they are going back to that in 2013). From what I saw, it was just regular motor coaches. Not Disney specific.

The weather in August was rainy most of the time. Although, it did not affect the trip. We expected it. We went the second to last cruise of the season and we did not have any bug problems.

Have fun.

• former CM

Thanks, Dsnfn!

• Seasick

Sailing out of Vancouver? To get to the cruise ship terminal from the airport take the Canada Line (rapid transit). Large cars designed with luggage in mind, and less than half the price of a shuttle.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I took the final Alaska cruise of the season this year, which derparted Seattle on Labor Day and ended a week later in Vancouver. I did not use Disney transportation. They did have a Pirate night, but it was all indoors, with the buffet being in Beach Blanket. The stuff all said "Pirates in the Carribean," and not a lot of people dressed up, I'd say 25-35%. While Pirate night wasn't that great, I can't say enough good things about the cruise its self. My wife and I think it was the best vacation we have ever taken.

• Knight that says Nee!!

We took the cruise the last week of June. Yes there was a Pirates night. We had no rain for most of the days...but were told every time it didn't rain at a port of call how lucky we were, so apparently our experience of no rain was unusual. The only time we had any (minor) issues with bugs was when we kayaked in Juneau. DO NOT miss any of the shows, they are amazing. Enjoy your cruise...it was one of the best vacation our whole family has ever taken.

• former CM

Thank you,
    Hakuna Matata,
    BC_DisneyGeek,
    and Goofy Daddy!

I'll look into BC mass transit, especially the Canada Line. We might even get there a couple days early and have a day trip to Victoria. (I'm an anglophile and I've heard it's the most English city in North America.)

We went to Alaska for our honeymoon and also enjoyed a week of sunshine with no rain. The Alaskans seemed almost freaked out by the great weather.

I've purchased pirate supplies from the 99Cents Only store, so we're ready in case there is a pirate night, or if we run into real pirates and need to blend in.

Thanks again!

• Knight that says Nee!!

My whole family and I love Victoria! Have a great time!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I did the Western Caribbean and we had fireworks. But I will tell you if they do have fireworks: don't wear a skirt! I wore a dress to pirate's night and I think if I didn't flash someone (stupid wind) I was darn near close. The best views are on the top deck, and the winds are high. Also people are rude. They save spaces and I posted it on my FB page how un-fun that was. The fireworks itself were awesome, but people...

In terms of the weather in Vancouver, you're going to be in a rain shadow. But layer. Bring layers.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

How was the weather? Did it rain often?
    Alaska is not on the same weather pattern as the west coast. May/June are when it's driest, which coincides with the beginning of cruise season since the snow has just started to melt out of the port towns. Check the weather before you go if you will need serious rain gear of clothes for colder temperatures. You know what follows rain, a mesquito hatch. Depending what you do they can be aweful but if you stay in the towns it's not too bad.

I had a friend who managed the excursion company for one port. And I mean "the excursion company" because if you left the port town you could only go with them no matter the activity. I imagine a lot of the towns in the inlets have these same "only game in town" operations. Find a tour operator and talk to them before booking through Disney.

It's really an experience to go up the coast. I did a cruise pre Disney in AK. A few of my friends went a year ago and stayed in a hotel in Vancouver, they drove, left the car at the hotel and got a free shuttle to the port.

• former CM

Do you know in advance which restaurants you'll be assigned to on which nights?
    We're interested in eating at Palo (or ?), but we don't want to miss a night at the Animator's Palate.

• DMTNT

You won't know your restaurant rotation until you check-in at the port. If I was you, I made just make the reservations at Palo as soon as you are able to access the online booking. Then if it conflicts with your Animator's Palate night try to change as soon as you get on the ship.