Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Re: Will we see Disney Cruise Line Expand again?

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    10 Years, maybe, but I would guess more likely only 5.

With the addition of ships Disney is spreading out, testing the water so to speak. Alaska is popular, but they canceled Mexico, so they don't really have a ship's worth of demand on the West Coast, but probably could use 2 ships going to AK. A full time Europe Ship may require north and south and south ships or 1.5 if you don't do the north in the winter. The Gulf/Carribean/Bahammas ships do well, and can probably handle 3-4 year round. The problem is these are all northern hemisphere cruises, and the demand drops during the winter.

With the Dream supply grew but demand hasn't quite kept up. So it will be a while before they see a new ship or two as being a solid gold idea. Maybe in a couple years demand will increase, they will have routes they can confidently sell, and look at adding more floating hotel rooms.
    I think that will might trying some new routes with Aisa and maybe around the world cruises? All cruise lines are having had times with Hawaii because of the added cost to fly for 5-10 hours to get to the ship. They could alway do around the tip of SA cruises? Yea the new ship will be out in about 5-10 years we will start to hear rumorrs if they are any sooner around the Expo.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney needs to find some new itinaries and locales that will work for the DCL demographic before they add more ships... ships need to be working all the time.. and right now DCL is in a dirth of where to put them.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I think that will might trying some new routes with Aisa and maybe around the world cruises? All cruise lines are having had times with Hawaii because of the added cost to fly for 5-10 hours to get to the ship. They could alway do around the tip of SA cruises? Yea the new ship will be out in about 5-10 years we will start to hear rumorrs if they are any sooner around the Expo.
    I wonder about Asia myself. For the most part as mentioned above, when ships serving Americans and Europeans get used they get "retired" and are sent like secondhand ships for use in the South Pacific for Australia and Asia.

I wonder if a ship went from Tokyo south to the equator region if it was a japanese rather than everything in english, if Japan's fascination with Disney could fill the Magic or Wonder?

Australia being the second largest first world country does have a large vacation market. However it's a big country landwise but small populous wise. They do cruise but not enough to support a cruise ship on its own.

Maybe a 8 month Tokyo and 4 month Sydney cruise would work out.

Like mentioned Hawaii a famous destination many yearn to visit, is not practical for cruises, because of the amount of time to get out to the islands and it's extra distance from the main populous of the US. Cruise lines have tried to make it work, but failed. Generally now Hawaii cruises are very limited, used to fill out a year's schedule and rely on limited supply to drive the demand, but most have operated at a loss when you get the company to admit the route profitability.

Around the world is very unlikely for Disney, but possible for big cruise companies. The reason is the cruise is barely around the world. To go full circle a ship sells 10-15% of the rooms for $20-25K. Simply put, not many people have the money or time for these cruises. The rest of the rooms are normal cruises of 5-14 days. Like a flight going from Seattle to LAX to Atlanta to New York, a few people go Seattle to New York but most just a segment or two. An around the world cruise is really a 120 days cruise made up of 15 segments. Being that they last 120 days, unless it was a Semester at Sea cruise, how many families, Disney's audience, have that much free time.

The other reason the Around the World cruises doesn't work out great is because you have the people going for $20-25K which is sometimes a discount to the 15 segment cost, but still usually profitable cruisers. Then you get 7.5 good segments, like Europe, Trans Atlantic, Caribbean.... Then 7.5 cruises that are not common that don't make a profit because they are to/from Asia and not enough Americans and Europeans fly half way around the world for a cruise to fill a ship when the cost of sailing can be huge(ships ideally refuel in Signapore, a country modernly rich because of refining) because of getting there on high price fuel.

When you have 30+ ships you send one going around the world, and what it really does is offer the exotic cruises along its route. The ones that go to Easter Island or Antartica look great as advertising but are not common itineraries to designate a major portion of a ship's year to.

I've known two sets of people who went around the world. One was a wealthy couple who wanted to do it. The other a couple who cruised a lot, never for anything luxorious just searched out bargains and did a few a year, but accumlated points doing that, and got to do special things on cruises like dine with the captain. They got to this small dinner of uber cruisers and there was a drawing for prizes, it was something like 5 prizes awarded to the 50 people eating. They happened to win the grand prize to sail around the world. The wife thought it was funny because she had previously won sweatshirts and spa treatments nothing too great and the husbands top prize was $250 of on board credit. The good/bad news was they lost thier business and had time to make use of thier prize.

Both of these couples had simliar comments. You are on the ship so long you are dying to get off. So you may do a lot of land excurions. Not like a tour of a museum, or scuba diving, but 5 days across Brazil and or 7 days across China where you get off in one port and meet the ship in another. These are extra costs and very expensive on top of a cruise cost sometimes many thousands of dollars. They both said the same things about the land tours, you end up dying to get back on the ship.

It's like how Disney keeps adding but only has a handful of long standing Adventures by Disney. Also how they are testing with mild success a new non park DVC resort at Aulani that is marketed half to the USA and half to Japan.

I wonder if a ship went from Tokyo south to the equator region if it was a japanese rather than everything in english, if Japan's fascination with Disney could fill the Magic or Wonder?

No one really runs cruise ships out of Tokyo or Osaka, for that matter. There's nothing to sail to other than cities in Asia. "South to the equator region" is a huge distance and something that isn't possible in a 5-7 night cruise. Even if you could go, where would you go? The Philippines?

Australia being the second largest first world country does have a large vacation market. However it's a big country landwise but small populous wise. They do cruise but not enough to support a cruise ship on its own.
    Australia has several cruise ships. In fact, they have a cruise company essentially devoted to the market (P&O Australia). It is a highly competitive market with year round cruising being a real possibility. Problem is, where would Disney go? With as much of the market for Disney Cruise Line coming from the US, can they really expect people to come across the date line to Brisbane? That's a tough sell IMO.

Around the World Cruises are marketed to retirees and the wealthy because they require an enormous amount of free time. Disney is not going to start competing with Holland America or Cunard for those cruisers with the boats they've got, and for them to build a ship solely for the purpose of chasing that market would be foolhardy. Just. Not. Happening.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by godsonsafari View Post

No one really runs cruise ships out of Tokyo or Osaka, for that matter. There's nothing to sail to other than cities in Asia. "South to the equator region" is a huge distance and something that isn't possible in a 5-7 night cruise. Even if you could go, where would you go? The Philippines?
    It would take at least 5 days with an at sea day on each end. It would probably head to the Phillipines, but also Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand would be possible ports. A private island in the Philipines may work. A ship from Autralia could go north to the same island if they did really long cruise but a second private island further south is more likely if Disney needed one.

Australia has several cruise ships. In fact, they have a cruise company essentially devoted to the market (P&O Australia). It is a highly competitive market with year round cruising being a real possibility. Problem is, where would Disney go? With as much of the market for Disney Cruise Line coming from the US, can they really expect people to come across the date line to Brisbane? That's a tough sell IMO.
    I didn't say Australia doesn't have cruise ships but that it's unlikely they could support a Disney ship. The reason is Disney carves out its nitch from over a hundred of ships in the US and Europe. Its nitch may not be enough to carve out a market from the several ships that service Australia. That is why I suggest Disney could only get away with one for part of the year out of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It would take at least 5 days with an at sea day on each end. It would probably head to the Phillipines, but also Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand would be possible ports. A private island in the Philipines may work. A ship from Autralia could go north to the same island if they did really long cruise but a second private island further south is more likely if Disney needed one.
    The distance from Osaka (not Tokyo, which is further north) to Manila is approximately 1650 miles as the crow flies. That's more than the distance of New York City to Puerto Rico. That isn't a practical distance for a cruise ship to travel on a 5 day cruise, and for most megaliners is effectively impossible. As far as doing that from Australia, again, that is completely unfeasble given where the populations are based and the distances required to travel. Disney *could* buy a private island or beach somewhere like Vanuatu or New Caledonia, which are in striking distance of Australia and regular cruise stops. But it would then be unfeasable for a Japan based cruise.

China could perhaps be a better option because it is a lot, lot closer, but whether or not it can support a Disney ship when it doesn't support any full time cruise vessels is more than up for debate.

I didn't say Australia doesn't have cruise ships but that it's unlikely they could support a Disney ship. The reason is Disney carves out its nitch from over a hundred of ships in the US and Europe. Its nitch may not be enough to carve out a market from the several ships that service Australia. That is why I suggest Disney could only get away with one for part of the year out of Australia.
    I think if anyone could, it would be Australia. Easy to cross over, best potential destinations to take the ship, already has a healthy cruise industry that Disney would undoubtedly have the best ship in. But I don't see it as being a realistic option either.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Disney needs to find some new itineraries and locales that will work for the DCL demographic before they add more ships... ships need to be working all the time.. and right now DCL is in a dirth of where to put them.
    Totally agree. I'm going on my second Disney cruise in April. I'm going on the same boat (Fantasy), different itinerary (first time went Western, this time going Eastern.). Love Disney cruises (I will say it loud and say it proud: since moving from Southern California and away from Disneyland, crowds bother me now. I live in a small town. I don't like crowds. The Disney boat gives me the magic of Disney and a super vacation.). But the issue I'm faced with is if I want a 7 day/longer vacation I need to book the same itineraries. I'm okay with that. I don't know a lot of people that are though. I wouldn't mind a 7 day cruise to nowhere with a day in Castaway Cay.

I heard rumblings of another boat when I was on the Fantasy. But I'd be curious when and where?

• World Famous Gold Mickey

Was just on a Disney Cruise (Disney Magic) for Christmas Week and was told by a couple of crew members that Disney has an agreement to build 2 more ships that would be between the size of Wonder and Dream - What she called medium size - one of which would be anounced in the near future. Also that when the Magic goes dry dock there would be some changes and remodeling and some new thing(s) that only the Magic would have. Also that DCL was working on some other things but would not tell me more.

Gold Mickey says:
    I love the Disney Cruise Line ! ! !

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Bob Iger in the earning report discussed the cruise lines and how much of a cash cow they are the fantasy alone brings in upwards of 270 million a year.. I definitely think we will see an announcement. Heck maybe at D23 keeping in mind it will take 3-5 years to build these ships this give plenty of time for the current fleet to succeed and pay off what they cost to build.

I also saw the report and the mention of the Fantasy being a floating bank so then I was thinking about what I was told on my last cruise but then I see that the Magic is not doing well out of Galveston and will not renew there. Then I see on DCL site they have all 4 ships out of Florida but with that being said they have not anounced the second half of 2014.

Castaway Cay is a major selling point for DCL - everyone wants to go there so why not Disney get an Island on the west coast and make it different. I would love to see Disney ships going out of Long Beach but to different ports then what they were going to.

Yes I am keeping my fingers cross for some cool DCL news at D23 !

Gold Mickey Says:
    I want to see 2 Disney ships at sea near each other and have pirates night on both ships the same night and get 2 firework shows or one big one from both ships. And see which ship can be the loudest.

My wife says:
    One of the coolest things was when at night time she saw anouther Disney Ship off in the distance all lit up and she was so sad that the two ships didn't get closer and the next day a lot of people was talking about that and how cool it was to see that and the people that didn't see it was like sad because they miss it.

And I say:
    May All Your Sailings Be Disney Sailings !

It has been reported many places that the Magic will get a lot of new upgrades and new remodeling when it goes to Dry Dock this year. Maybe that will be the news at D23 - I really hope for more news then that thou. Also I hope they are not trying to make all the ships the same. My wife and I and many people that I know want to go on every Disney Ship because they are a little different but all agree if they all become to much the same thier will be no need and that old saying see one seen them all. Please Disney keep/make them different !

Gold Mickey Says:
    I can't wait to take anouther Disney Cruise !

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by misterdisney View Post
    It has been reported many places that the Magic will get a lot of new upgrades and new remodeling when it goes to Dry Dock this year. Maybe that will be the news at D23
    I'll believe it when it comes from an official source. This same rumor has come up everytime the Magic or Wonder had dry dock time allocated, since details on the being built Dream came out.

the ships will always have some differnces simply because of the difference in size and I don't think the magic and wonder can do the aqua duck. even the dream and the fantasy have differnces.

• Under that tree again!

Castaway Cay is according to this blog post 1,000 acres big with 5 developed acres.

Vintage Walt Disney World: Becoming Castaway Cay « Disney Parks Blog
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Disney Cruise Line has come out with some cool new itineraries and with the investment in Castaway Cay it will probably expand its fleet. The blog page on Castaway Cay was interesting. We were there in February and we witnessed a water spout in the ocean. We were out in Serenity Bay (adults only beach) and we all were talking about how there was no real structures or nowhere to go if a tornado came through. After a downpour it cleared up and we had a great time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12