• former CM

Girl, 11, molested on Disney Cruise by dining room server

Warning: this is disturbing. I'm sharing it in case it might help prevent this from happening again. It was back in August, but the story was reported today, May 21.

Disney Cruise Line failed to promptly notify police that crew member molested an 11-year-old girl in August: reportĀ* - NY Daily News

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Girl, 11, molested on Disney Cruise by dining room server

This is revolting and I hope minimally the guy is black listed from working for Disney.

Cruise ships are filled with foreign crew members who can escape back to their home countries and flee the law. Also cruise ships are registered in foreign ports of call for nefarious reasons.

So, a vacation on a cruise ship is not as safe as a visit to Disney World, despite the DISNEY name and characters.

• former CM

I've never read a story with Disney in the title that made me feel so sick.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well, there was that guy who rented a room at DisneyWorld, and he may have been worse, I don't recall the explicit details. And the other crimes committed on the Cruise Line, like the woman who found photos of a Disney Cruise employee who'd stolen her phone on her iCloud.

• Senior Minion

To me the most sickening quotes in the story are:

The Port Canaveral police could not look into the case, even though the assault was reported to the cruise line before the ship left the port, because Disney Cruise Line did not tell them immediately. They were notified the next day instead.

Port Canaveral police had a detective ready when the ship returned to port, but Disney Cruise Line had already placed the suspect [Milton Braganza] on a plane to India.

...Port Canaveral police Chief Joseph Hellebrand told WKMG his department had a detective ready to go when the ship returned to port on Aug. 10. But Disney had already put Braganza on a plane to India, so they lost their chance.
    Equally sickening is that the girl's grandmother did not want to press charges.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Equally sickening is that the girl's grandmother did not want to press charges.
    Does this incident rise to the level of a 'sexual assault'? What would the suspect likely have been charged with?

Cruise ships are registered in foreign ports to avoid paying taxes, and also probably to sidestep labor laws. But this is disgusting. Even in foreign territory, kids (and all guests) should be safe.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• former CM

I started this thread because I was freaked out reading this story soon before our first cruise. I'm glad to report that we returned from a 7-night Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska on July 1 and felt very safe throughout. The staff of the Oceaneers' Lab & Club seemed excellent, and we were comfortable leaving our daughter there. (She never wanted to leave till we tempted her with more amazing opportunities.) Apart from the Oceaneers' Lab & Club we never let our daughter out of our sight.

So with our usual paranoid precautions, we felt she was even safer on the ship than she is at Disneyland, and I feel safer at Disneyland than I do at most crowded places.

The cruise was wonderful, btw! More on that in another thread if I have time.

I'm glad the CMs made you feel safe! It was a wonderful cruise (my hubby and I did it last year) and I'd hate for people to miss out for fear of the ship being unsafe for their kids.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.