Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Midship Detective Agency Interactive Game.

This game is very similar to Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom interactive game found at the park. From what Iíve read (on the internet so it must be true) this is actually the beta or 1.0 version of the game that eventually became Sorcerers but with limited features and a different story line overlay.

Even though this was a limited feature predecessor to Sorcerers in some ways I like it better. Not exactly sure I can effectively communicate why? Maybe itís just the simplicity of the game. I also think that since the ship was designed for the game it is better integrated into the infrastructure that at the Magic Kingdom where it was added afterwards.

The foundation of this game is ďenchanted artĒ scattered throughout the ship. Even w/o the game the ďenchanted artĒ is an excellent feature of the ships dťcor, something Disney should consider implementing at the resort hotels in Anaheim and Orlando. As I briefly referenced above the ship if elaborately decorated with photos and prints from the golden age of Disney. Hundreds of pieces of art work throughout the ship. However about 20 +/- of those works of art are enchanted, in that they come to life and play and animated clip when you walk by them. They are using some sort of super high resolution retina display technology in that when the art if stagnate you canít tell that it isnít paper or canvas. I donít know how they make a backlit LCD screen look like a front lit piece of art?

The screens used for the Magic Kingdom game arenít as good as the ones on the ship. But perhaps that has something to do with light level of the MK exterior game play compared to the Dreamís interior play?

If you are on the ship and have 30 to 45 minutes to kill (great rainy day activity), I strongly recommend this activity.

Perhaps this type of game is something they should implement at Hilton Head, Vero, Aulani, and any future off property resort?

Membership Has Its Privileges

The Welcome Aboard Ship Tour finished up a little before 2pm, which means we were able to get into our room now. We made a beeline to the room so that we could drop off our three carry-on bags. When we get to our room what do we find on our door? A DVC Welcome Home Member magnet and an invitation to the 2:30 Member Reception.

Itís amazing that they are able to cross reference the names of 4,000 passengers in 1,250 staterooms with the hundreds of thousands of names in the DVC member database. Who would have known Disney IT was that capable?

We quickly freshen up and head to the D Lounge for the reception. We check in for the reception and are immediately given 4 DVC baseball hats, a pleather padfolio, and a couple of coloring books. First they make sure we are on the list of invited guests and check us off, not by our name but by our stateroom number. As we enter the lounge they hand the kids flutes of sparkling cider, and the wife and I get flutes of Champagne. Our kids grab the first table they see, which is the closest to the entrance/exit and has an obstructed view of the stage (obstructed by a column). This proves to be an unfortunate location, because the guide is unable to see us when we raise our hands to answer the trivia questions, as a result we walk away w/o any of the trivia prizes. They raffled off quite a bit of cool junk Ė 2 beach shelters, several water bottles, and some other crap. I wanted one of the beach shelters. One family sitting front and center took home most of the stuff. The grand finale was a raffle for a $2K on-board credit. You had to be present to win, so those that walked out early were out of luck. There were less than 20 families in the room so the chances of wining we pretty good. The free Champagne and 1 in 20 chance at a $2,000 credit wand the hour sales pitch worth while. Unfortunately we didn't win.

Not our room, but rather a stock photo I found on the web.

Later when we get back to our room (before or after dinner, I donít remember) there is a small cardboard treasure chest on our bed. Itís another DVC gift. Inside the box are a couple of lanyards, membership referral cards, and a coupon for a LE Mickey Pin, that needs to be picked up at the DVC Desk on Deck 5.

DVC knows how to treat their members on the ship, too bad they donít give us this sort of treatment in Orlando, Vero, Hilton Head, Anaheim, or Ko Olina. Of course this is a small price for them to pay to have us as extensions of their sales team amongst the other 1,250 families (potential members) confined in close quarters with us on the ship.

Re: Critique of my first DCL Experience

I was only concerned about the free give-a-way to I didn’t pay too close attention to the sales pitch or offers. I vaguely remember a pitch for the need of home resort advantage at AKL for the Concierge Level rooms; the need of home resort advantage at Aulani, for what reason I don’t remember. He did mention that if Aulani is on your bucket list and you only intend to go once or twice that you should consider purchasing at least 114 points so that you can bank and borrow three years worth of points to get you that week in the 2-bedroom. Why the hell would I purchase a 50 contract on a timeshare I only intend on visiting once or twice in my life?

Than came the push for VGF. “Home resort advantage is required! We already sold x million points during the first two weeks of presales, and the fixed weeks are almost sold out, and the other remaining points may be gone before the 4pm muster drill, so act fast.” I’m exaggerating a little here, but you get the idea.

Needless to say we weren’t compelled to make any additional point purchases on this cruise.

Re: Membership Has Its Privileges

It’s now 3:30pm as we leave the DVC Reception, my wife who hasn’t eaten since early morning is starting to get punchy. The free Champagne didn’t help the situation. We race to Deck 11 to get her something to eat. But everything is shut down in preparation for the 4pm muster drill. Now things start to get ugly, the wife is not fun to be around when her blood sugar gets low.

Note for next trip.. skip the tour and go straight to the buffet.

Muster Drill

Here is another place DCL has RCCL beat. Our muster station was in the comfy air conditioned Walt Disney Theater. On the Royal ships we always got stuck standing out on deck in the late afternoon heat.

And as a bonus we didnít have to drag the life vests out of our room.

The Ship Gets Underway

We went to Deck 11 for the Sail Away party. I got the wife a frozen cocktail, fresh one from the bar not one that had been sitting on a servers tray for god knows how long. The kids got their first of a countless number of ice cream cones. And we watched the sail away party show. My DS8 and I were more interested in the logistic of ship casting off and getting underway. We couldnít see much from the edge on deck 11. DS8 recommended that we go to our room and watch from the Veranda. Great idea kid! Leave the wife and DD3 to dance and party.

Three previous cruises under my belt, and I have never before had the luxury of a Stateroom with Veranda. This is how the other half lives and I like it. It was extremely cool sitting on our private Veranda (starboard forward) watching as the ground crew cast off the lines and the ship pushed off from the pier. I was expecting tug boats navigate us through the Port Channel, but the ship did it all on its own. From our Veranda we sat and waived to all the people and boats we passed as we sailed out of Port Canaveral.

The Starboard side was cool because we could see as we cast off. It was also cool at Casaway Cay, because we would see all the activities on the island. Though a port side state room could have been cool during the sail way, as it might have given some views of the Space Center. But we got the Space Center Views up on Deck 11, and it was hazy and difficult to see. All in all, I would recommend Starboard over Port.

Re: The Ship Gets Underway

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    Though a port side state room could have been cool during the sail way, as it might have given some views of the Space Center. But we got the Space Center Views up on Deck 11, and it was hazy and difficult to see.
    I was lucky enough on one of my previous RCCL voyages to get to see a shuttle on the launch pad. Never again, unfortunately.

If the boatís a rockiní donít come a knocking!

Although we had beautiful weather and calm seas, I was surprised at how much I felt this ship moving. This boat is so much bigger than the three RCCL Sovereign Class ships I sailed previously, yet I felt the motion here more than I remember it on the other ships. I would assume that the bigger ship would be more stable?

At times when I wasnít drinking, I felt inebriated as a result of the motion. Maybe I didnít notice the motion on the RCCL ships, because I was always inebriated, very inebriated!

As a result of the ships motion, I felt myself showing concern for the safety of the dancers during the evening shows. Though Iím sure they all have their sea legs, and donít even notice it.

The motion wasnít unbearable, but I though it was worth noting.

Disney Dream
    14 decks, 1,115ílength, 125í beam, 130,000-tons

RCCL Sovereign Class
    12 decks, 880í length, 106í beam, 74,007-tons

The Rooms

Price has been the barrier that has kept me from getting on a Disney ship till now. However, unlike the Resorts in Anaheim and Orlando where the premium price tag only gets you the Disney name and proximity to the Parks, on that Disney Ship that premium actually gives you deluxe amenities (for a cruise ship).

In the staterooms I had (1 interior, and 2 exterior) on the RCCL Sovereign Class ships you could sit in the bed and touch 3 of the 4 walls. A room equivalent to a ďStandardĒ on Disney would have been a significant upgrade on one of the Sovereign Class ships. Having a sofa in the room was awesome. Perhaps the newer larger Royal and Carnival ships are better with better appointed state rooms, but based on my limited experience with the Disney Dream and the older RCCL Sovereign and Monarch of the Seals, Disney is so so so much better when it comes to state rooms. But you are paying for it.

Our Category 5D Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom w/ Verandah had more than ample storage. The closet was huge with more storage than a BLT studio villa. We had more than enough drawers for the four of us. And it was nice to be able to store all of our suitcases under the bed. With the exception of the bathroom, I was more comfortable in this room than in a BLT studio.

I read where many people rant and rave about the split bathroom. Iím not sure what the advantage is? Is it because it has a extra sink and vanity? The problem I found with this was, which ever sink/vanity was available your stuff (tooth brush, comb, makeup, contact solution, was inevitably in the other (occupied) room.

My critiquesÖ
    Öthe noise. We kept hearing clicking and banging all nigh long. The sound of metal twisting, flexing, expanding and contracting. It was annoying. We read on other threads before our trip about the noise of extra hangers banging around in the closet, so to prevent we removed any unused hangers. So it wasnít that. Unless it was coming from the closet of one of the adjacent rooms?

I also kept hearing the sound of water (like the pump in an automatic coffee maker) running all night long, that annoyed me. I can only assume it was the condensate pump from the air conditioner?

Öthe smell. Before we ever had a chance to defile the bathroom there was a sewer odor, that lingered throughout our trip. I think this might have to with the lack of a ventilation fan in the bathrooms coupled with the fact that the floor drains connect all the bathrooms together and allow odors to freely travel from one to the other. I remember this same foul smell on the RCCL ships as well.

Food/Beverage and Dining

So my first dining experience of this trip is at McDonalds on A1A. I know that doesnít count, but its sort of relevant to the story. We have a 1pm boarding time, and we need to arrive before that to drop off bags, park the car, get through security, check-in, what have you. My kids are on a regimented schedule I canít in good conscious make them wait till after 1pm to eat lunch. So I have to do something. Ií somewhat surprised that with a large population of guest in the terminal during the lunch hour that they donít offer something to eat in the terminal, maybe a cash quick service counter?

My next experience is at the DVC Member reception. Free Champaign who can criticize that? Though I was surprised that they immediately handed my DD3 a glass flute with cider. I kept waiting for that thing to chatter on the ground. What I wouldnít have done for some finger food at this point? I was getting hungry (the eight dwarf), and the wife had moved past hungry to bitchy (the tenth dwarf).

Our third experience was everything shutting down before the muster drill. Canít blame that one on DisneyÖ

After the drill we head back to Deck 11 for Drinks and Ice Cream. Pre-cruise I read thread after thread about the ice cream on the ship and on Castaway Cay. I donít see what the big deal is about? Itís help yourself soft-serve ice cream, limited to 4 flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, and Banana. Here comes my first major criticism (the previous were all minor) and disappointment about the cruiseÖ They didnít serve Pineapple or Orange Dole Whip. How do you have a tropical Disney Resort/Attraction and not serve Dole Whip?

No Dole Whip!?!?

Thatís it! End of story, end of trip report. No Dole Whip, my vacation is ruined, nothing more to report.

Tom can add this to his 12 ways to have a Miserable Cruise discussion.

Rotation Dining

Fantastic concept. Our rotation was RAE, for some reason this made the wife and DS8 ecstatic. They were looking forward to dining at the Royal Palace and were concerned that it might fall on pirate night. Donít know why it would have made a difference?

Night 1: Royal Palace. The family dawns their finest dinner attire, and descends to deck 3. Based on our point of reference from the earlierWelcome Aboard Ship Tour we went all the way to the aft elevators (a long walk from our room forward of the forward elevators), and descended to the 3 deck, fought past the crowd at animator palace and on to the entrance of the Royal Palace at the port side corroder. At this point we are running a little late many have already been seated, and we are standing at the podium with one other family. Iím feeling a little underwhelmed. Where are the photographers, where are servers waiting to take us to our table? I remember the moments before dinner on Royal to be more eventful.

Iíll later come to realize we went to the wrong entrance. The overwhelming eventful arrivals were taking place at the restaurant entrance in the Grand Atrium Lobby. At this point I didnít even know there was a restaurant entrance in the Grand Atrium Lobby. The Welcome Aboard Ship Tour never took us to or through the lobby. In fact the tour ended at the Royal Palace side entrance along the port corridor. Lets add this to my critique of the Welcome Aboard Ship Tour.

Eventually someone arrives to seat us the other family waiting with us. The restaurant is lovely. The little touches like the pumpkin carriage breadbasket are cute. The only critique here are the low ceilings, but what can you expect on a ship were space is at a premium? In many ways I find the DCL Royal Palace dinner experience superior to Be Our Guest dinner experience at MAGIC KINGDOM PARK. Donít get me started on BOG.

We were served by Atmaja who was assisted by Ari. I believe they were both from Indonesia or the Philippines (somewhere along the rim of the Pacific and Indian Oceans). We had a difficult time understanding them, which improved as the cruise progressed. I think our initial difficultly comprehending them had something to do with being hungry, tired, maybe a little sea sick, and generally unfamiliar with our surrounds.

We had some good servers on RCCL, so these guys had some big shoes to fill. First impressions were lacking. I was already questioning the $96 automatic gratuity these guys were going to get at the end of the cruise. Then they sprang into actionÖ

Without the wife or I even noticing, DD3 knocked the top off of her water glass and spilled it everywhere. Like ninjas, Atmaja and Ari sprang into action (I donít know where they were or where they came from) placed a towel on the table mopping up the spill, replacing the glass of water, and placing a chair in the isle way to prevent others from slipping of the damp floor. Until they were done we didnít realize what had happened, what was going on, or why. We are bad parent! They are starting to earn that gratuity.

Than the food comes and things get cute or creepy depending on how you look at it. Atmaja servers DD3 first, and immediately starts to cut her beef tenderloin into little pieces 3 year old bit size pieces, than proceeds to feed her the first bite. DD3 loves it! When I try to feed her later, she tells me no, I want that guy pointing at Atmaja. Cute but creepy. Since we were getting a break from DD3, we chose to see it as cute. They are earning their gratuity.

Re: Critique of my first DCL Experience

I didn’t comment on our the food from the first night at Royal Palace. Let me just say it was excellent! The French Onion soup, excellent! The Tenderloin, excellent! The CrŤme brŻlťe, excellent!

The best meal of our trip!

Night 2: Animators Palate.

This a nice little Disney themed restaurant. Once everyone gets seated the art on the walls turn into ďportalsĒ to the sea. Our dinner entertainment is a combination of the silver fish from the Living Seas queue and the Turtle Talk from the Living Seas attraction. The story and theme were a little disjointed here. Based on what Iíve seen and read about Animators Palate (mostly from reviews from the Magic/Wonder), I was expecting the room to change colors, the wait staff to change costumes, something. I was expecting some kind of story and action relating to the art, color, and technique of animation. We start out in what appears to be an animators (traditional hand drawn animator) workstation based on art on the wall. But than suddenly the walls change and we are looking out into the sea. What does Turtle Talk with Crush have to do with the art, color, and technique of animation?

Just change the name of the restaurant to ďDinner with Nemo & FriendsĒ and things would be more cohesive and make more since.

Beyond the theme dinner was O.K. Just O.K. I couldnít find anything on the primary menu, so generic Sirloin Strip Steak that offer every night at all three restaurants. Itís what you would expect from a banquet hall or other mass produced dinner venue.

Night 3: Enchanted Garden.

For some reason, this was the wifeís least favorite location. Even before we sailed, she knew it would be. I donít know how or why? I actually liked it better than Animators.

The location of Deck 2 was a little dungeonesque. But better than Animators which was at the end of a long hall tucked along side aft elevators. There was actually a nice expansive lobby (albeit low ceilings) between the elevator lobby and the restaurant entrance. This restaurant also had the largest, nicest and most convenient (closest) bathrooms.

I kind of liked the dťcor, a cross between Main Streetís Plaza and the Crystal Palace. Except fort the simulated sunset, there was no story, or action here; but neither was there at Royal Palace. It was just a ice place to dine. The thing I liked best is was actually had a private table, at the other two locations we were so close to the adjacent, I felt as if we were dining with them. I assume the same isnít true for all the tables in this restaurant or the others, it was just the luck of the draw of where we were seated each night.

Loved my food. Second best meal of the trip. Started with some sort of lettuce wedge, it was great. Followed by the sea scallops, excellent! So good I ordered a second serving.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast