Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Critique of my first DCL Experience

While I may be critical, I want to note that I thoroughly enjoyed my DCL Experience and will return again (finances permitting). My critique are more so observations, and comparisons of the DCL operation compared to Disney Park and Resort operations on the mainland, and compared to Royal Caribbean (RCCL).

A Different Operation

A Different Operation
    As a life long Florida resident Iíve spent more time at the Disney Parks and Resorts than I can recall. Iíve been an annual pass holder for as long as the program has existed, with the exception of the 3 years when I was a cast member at the Magic Kingdom. So I am very familiar with the operations of the park, and how they have changed over the past 40 years.

With that said I almost immediately noticed something different about the Cruise Line operation. It somehow felt different from anything Disney I experienced in Florida or California, that feeling became more and more evident to longer I was on the ship, and the more I interacted with the cast and crew. Itís kind of like when you visit Tokyo DisneyLand, even though images of Disney are everywhere, the guiding hand of the Oriental Land Company give that park a unique character, and in some cases create a better experience. I felt the same way on the Disney Dream. I donít know why, the Line is run by Karl Holz a Walt Disney World veteran.

Perhaps it has to do with the lack of heavy handed labor regulations from the US Federal Government and Employee Labor Unions? I know many will argue that Cruise Line industry employees are practically indentured servants subjected to horrible living and working conditions, however I witnessed a crew that always appeared happy and appreciative of every opportunity. Iíve experienced this both on DCL and RCCL. Many US workers seam to have a since of entitlement and do just what they have to, where many of the international workers on the ship were busting their *** of any and every opportunity available to them.

Also the cast, crew, and characters seamed like they were free do things that their counterparts in Anaheim and Orlando would never be allowed to do. Things like a costumed Pluto character riding on the elevator, stopping at every floor to jump out in an attempt to startle any guest that may be waiting in the elevator lobby; it was a lot of fun, but I know it would be frowned upon (if not actionable) in Orlando.

The Immersive Story

The key to Disneyís success has always been storytelling. And on July 17, 1955 audiences were given a chance to visit a Place where Disney would immerse them into the story. The success of every Disney Park and Resort since the opening Disneyland has been predicated on creating a since of place that immerses the guest into a story. Usually the story revolves around ďfond memories of the pastĒ, the ďpromise of the futureĒ, Fantasy, or Adventure. Every successful Disney Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Resort has a back story that help to create the since of place and immerse you into the Story.

However in the case of the DCL ships the story is ďDisneyĒ. ďHere age relives fond memories of the past.Ē A Romanized Disney Past, complements of the companyís 90 years history. I guess the same is also true of the Disneyland Hotel. I guess if Main Street USA can be a Romanized look at Americana Past, why canít this Place be at Romanized look at Disnyana Past?

As a Disney fanatic I enjoy this look at Disney History, and all the art and artifacts spread throughout the ship. But the Disney fanatic in me also feels that Disney is better than this and the story could be something other than Disney itself. What should the story be? I donít know, thatís why Iím not an Imagineer.

The decision to sail DCL

This is my first voyage on DCL, having previously completing 3 trips on RCCL. All four of my cruises have been 3 nighters out of Port Canaveral, and all four have gone to Nassau. What can I say; Iím a creature of habit. Not really, this just happens to be the most affordable and convenient (based on time away from work) itinerary Iíve found.

On the surface itís difficult to say which vacations I liked better the 3 on RCCL or the 1 on DCL, except for the itinerary they were very different trips based on our traveling party. The 3 RCCL trips were all kids free trips with several couples weíve know since college. We were a large group of thirty something parents on a weekend pass with free flowing alcohol and no kids we would have had a great time no matter where we were, on a boat in the tropics just made it just that much better.

Two of our very close friends who have sailed with us on all three RCCL trips with us are avid cruisers, I think they are platinum members of the Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society, have also taken a few trips on Disney and claim that it is by far superior to RCCL. They only reason they sail RCCL is because of the price, but jump at any chance to sail Disney whenever they find a good deal.

As a result of my friends ranting and raving about DCL my wife has been begging me for years to take her and the kids. Because of the costs associated with DCL and the fact that our youngest was too young to participate in the Oceaneers Club/Lab I dismissed her requests. Also cruises were our fun weekends with college friends and no kids, I really had no interest to cruise with our kids. I would NOT even consider a RCCL with our kids.

However this year after taking my family skiing in Colorado my wife, who doesnít ski, gave me an ultimatum. She said, ďIím not coming back to Colorado until you take us on a Disney Cruise.Ē Her logic/justification was that the trip to Colorado (once we factored in airfare, lodging, equipment rentals, lessons, dining, etc) cost as much if not more than the equivalent length of time on a Disney Cruise. I still wasnít sold on the idea of spending that much to cruise with the kids. But if I wanted to go skiing again I better consider it.

Than a few weeks ago on Mouseowners.com the following thread keep popping up: How Cheap Is Super-Last-Minute?

So out of curiosity (and a chance to appease my wife) I decided to check for myself. I went to the special offers page, clicked on Florida Residence Rates, which almost always says ďno special rates are availableĒ. However this time four date came up with special pricing at close to 40% discount. So to answer Kickapoo Joie Juice question, ďHow Cheap Is Super-Last-Minute?Ē it can be up to 40% off if you are a Florida Resident. Of the dates available one was the next day, one was a week and a day away, another two weeks away, three weeks away. First thing was to call my wife and see if she was seriously interested; second was to find a dog sitter; third was to book it.

To give us time to make arrangements we chose the sailing three week out.

Booking

I could have, and in hind sight maybe should have just booked it right there and then at DisneyCruiseLine.com. However, I have a friend that is a travel agent and I figured Iíve already done the work, maybe this would be an easy way for her to make a quick and easy commission. Even though we had done all the work this was anything but quick and easy for her. We spent two and a half days going back and forth via e-mail to do everything required to finalize the booking. The timeline dragged out because neither one of us responded to the others e-mail immediately. However, had I booked it myself on-line I would have been able to answer everything there and then and been done with it.

There were some advantages to using a travel agent; she was able to make some recommendation about room locations and categories that we wouldnít have considered. And even though the early seating for dinner was sold out, she was able to get us on a wait list. If we booked it ourselves we would have had to wait till check-in time at the port to get placed on the wait list. The best part was when we checked-in at the port our waitlist had come through. She also fought on our behalf when our room got ďupgradedĒ, though to no avail.

The pros of using an agent.
    • $25 on-board credit.
    • Advice for a first time cruiser
    • Advocate with contacts the general public doesnít necessarily have access to

The cons
    • the process takes longer.
    • you lose control of the reservation. You want to communicate with Disney, you have to do it though them.
    • I felt like it just added a step or two to the process.
    • I felt guilty using 40 different $50 gift cards purchased at Target (5% discount) to pay, so I didn't.

The question is, when we do it again will we use an agent or book direct?

Booking / Pre-Embarkation continuedÖ

I guess I omitted the details of our trip. So let me fill in the gapsÖ
    The trip included my Wife, DS8, DD3, and myself.
    3-Night Bahamian Cruise on Disney Dream Itinerary A, sailing on 06/27/13, room category 5E (Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah) GTY, Second Seating (first seating wait listed)
    40% discount using special booking code "FLR". Had to e-mail photo of my driverís license (proof of Florida residency) to DCL within 24 hours of booking to get the rate.
    Total cost was $2,030.88 Ė we paid $1,370 with visa points, so this booking only cost us $660.88 out of pocket.
    Booked on 6/6/13 and sailed three weeks later on 06/27/13.

According to our agent we were lucky to be offered a 5E room as they are one of the most sought after on the ship and usually book out a year in advance. The reason these rooms are desirable is because they have oversized Verandahs 2-3 times larger than the standard. The down side was it was a GTY reservation and no room number was assigned. However on the 06/13/13, exactly 2 weeks before embarkation we receive an e-mail from DCL with our room assignment, we had been ďupgradedĒ to a 05D stateroom. From the reviews Iíve read a 05A, 05B, 05C, or 05D staterooms are NOT upgrades from the 05E, they all have smaller Verandahs and in many cases are smaller rooms. We immediately call our Agent to see about getting downgraded back to the 05E room. For what seamed like an hour she was on the phone with DCL and e-mailing us questions back and forth. Trying to determine if we would be willing to take a HA room and lose the split bathroom, and other questions like that. Though in the end we were not able to get one of the coveted 05E rooms - better luck next time!

Our agent did a lot of work (spent a lot of time) to only earn what I assume was a $158.60 commission a portion of which I sure went to her host agency (Nexion).

On 06/20/13 a week before sailing, we receive a pre-embarkation book with our luggage tags. The package was mailed to us from Nexion in Irvine, Texas. One of the curious things about using a Travel Agent. Documents get mailed from Celebration, Florida to Irvine, Texas back to Tampa, Florida. It seams less than efficient. Also, most of the e-mails went from DCL to my agent who than had to forward them to me.

On-Line Check-in

This was a relatively straight forward process, similar to RCCL and the Orlando Resorts. Not much to really comment on here. It was nice to be able to pre-register your kids for the kids club, saved you a few minutes at the counter. You were also able to pre-book spa appointments, shore excursions, and other on-board activities.

This being our first DCL cruise and such a short cruise, we didn't pre-book anything with the exception of a message at the spa (more on that later).

One thing of note about the on-line check-in process is you have to choose an Arrival/Check-in Time from a list of available times. Having booked so last minute and completing the on-line check-in so late our options for Arrival/Check-in were limited to the afternoon slots. And from what I read here, DIS and other sites they wonít let you on the ship before your scheduled time.

Arrival/Check-in

Even though we were assigned a 1:00pm Arrival Time our Agent advised us to arrive early to unload luggage, park the car, get through security, etc.

We descended the Indian River Bridge at 11:00am rather than take the chance of sitting in the terminal for two hours I decided to stop at McDonalds on A1A to feed the kids. I didnít want to have to make them wait till after 1:00pm to eat lunch or deal with winey hungry kids in the terminal.

At this point the kids are still in their pajamas. After eating lunch we change them into their Embarkation outfits. Mom and DD3 have to be wearing coordinating nautical attire.

We pull up to the terminal gates between 11:30 and noon. There are 3 boats in port (2 Carnival and 1 Disney) yet the place seams like a ghost town. There are people in the roadway directing traffic, but there is no traffic to direct we are the only car on the road. Either we are the first people here or we just missed the opening rush?

We than pull up to an attendant at a computer terminal give them our room number and photo idís. They look in the car to make sure we are not smuggling anyone else into the lot. I donít remember doing this with RCCL. Then they direct us to the side of the terminal to drop off our luggage. Again we are the only car at the curb dropping off luggage. At the RCCL there were lines of cars waiting for one of thirty something spots to open up to drop off luggage with a porter. I can only assume that this has something to do with the hundreds of people that arrive at the port via one of the Mears (Magic Express) busses from MCO or WDW?

We are than directed to the parking garage. The sings state that you can access the terminal from the 1st and 3rd levels. So we proceed directly to the 3rd level hoping to get lucky. There are a good number of vehicles already parked in the garage, so we obviously werenít the first people here. However when we got to the 3rd floor we were pleasantly surprised to find several available parking spots near the entrance to the Terminal Breezeway. The elevated Breezeway was a nice touch. No need to cross busy traffic like at the RCCL garage and terminal.

So far the process is soooo much more efficient than RCCL. I think the layout of the DCL terminal perpendicular to the ship creates efficiencies compared to the RCCL terminal which is parallel to the ship. With the parallel terminal all guest traffic (busses, hired cars, and private cars) arrives on the same side. The perpendicular terminal building allows all the private cars to unloaded on the north side, hired cars on the west side), and all the buses on the south side.

When we get across the Breezeway we encounter the security screening. Here we encounter our first line of guest. Still a relatively short line compared to my experience with RCCL, there all guest have to go through one of only two security check points. Here I assume there are at least two (one at the 3rd floor Breezeway and one at the first floor entrance). And I assume there may be more than one down on the first floor. Through Security and into the massive terminal building. Now we see hundreds of people, we obviously werenít the first people to arrive. The size of this space the volume of people was a bit overwhelming. There were several lines of people queued up, and we werenít exactly sure where to go. But like lemmings we followed the largest fastest moving heard to what turned out to be the correct check-in line. We soon discovered that the longer slower moving line was for Mickey Mouse photo opp. Despite the number of people the check-in line moved relatively quickly, much quicker than I remember any of the RCCL lines taking. Much quicker and more efficient than any WDW or DLR hotel check-in. Of course they had 10 times the number of people working the desk. The hotel could do it too if they forced all guest to check-in in a single four hour window.

We quickly received our KTTW card and were pleasantly suppressed to learn that our Dinner First Seating waitlist came through. The agent handed us a boarding card with a number on it, says we get to board the ship after our number is called. She says your number is 23 and they are currently on 36 so you are free to board. Wahoo! Shortly after noon and we are getting on the ship ahead of our 1pm assigned time. Next time we skip McDonalds.

Though from the check-in counter we move to another line to get on the ship. This is the line where they scan each card to let you on, followed by a group photo. Of the three lines we queued for (security, check-in, and boarding) this is the slowest. All those different entry points now bottle neck down to two agents scanning guests in. I remember getting on the RCCL ships faster once we made it through the initial check-in, but there not as many people stopped for photos which also contributed to the bottle neck.

More on photos laterÖ

Photos

I think this is one of my first real Critiques. I think Disney is missing an opportunity here when it comes to photos.

I think the Cruise industry invented the professional vacation photo phenomenon. I remember my parents coming home form a cruise vacation back in the 70ís with their collection of professional photos from their voyage. And I remember a photographer at every turn (on and off the ship) on my three RCCL vacations. What I also remember about the RCCL trips were the walls and walls of photos set out before dinner each night. It was entertaining to show up early to dinner and browse your photos and the photos of others. In the days before Facebook you could be a voyeur and check out photos of stranger enjoying their vacation. And check out your growing collection of drunken poses that you had no intention of purchasing.

Shortly after my first RCCL experience, I remember Disney started implementing the PhotoPass Paparazzi in the parks. I find it a bit tacky at time, but in general itís a great merchandising opportunity for them and a great way for families to get groups photos w/o mom or dad having to sit out to operate the camera.

Let the critique beginÖ
    We are about to board the ship and we encounter our official first photo opportunity Ė the family/group embarkation photo. The first thing I notice is the cumbersome rig of equipment the photographers have set up. A stand, a laptop, camera, lights, and cables connecting them all. They need the laptop to swipe out KTTW card to associate our photo with our group. Cumbersome. The photographers at the parks have it so much easier with reader around their neck that scans your PhotoPass card and associates the photo with your account. No laptop, no stand. Just scan, point, and shoot.

The laptops proved even more troublesome outside in the sun. The photographers at Castaway Cay had to drape a towel over their head and the laptop so that they could see the screen. This requirement for a laptop made it more difficult for the photographers to freely roam the ship and take random shots of people. And as a result there were fewer photos to choose from and/or purchase.

If they had the same equipment as in the parks they could freely roam the ship and Castaway Cay to snap up thousands of more shots. I really thought there should have been more photographers around the boat especially with all the character opportunities.

I also kind of missed the photos set out before dinner. I never found the time (or desire) to scan my KTTW card at the kiosk to see what came up on the screen. But if there were photos in the racks I might have been more prone to look through them.

Where the Parks also have the Cruise Line beat is the opportunity to view and purchase your PhotoPass pictures at home on the internet. I never got a chance to visit one of the Photo Kiosks on the ship, but now that Iím home I would enjoy logging on to see what shots were taken, and maybe I might just purchase a few.

There was a lot of hard selling on this ship (more on that later), just like on RCCL. But in this case there was no hard sell, there was no sell at all, and as a result I think they are missing an opportunity.

The Ships Appearance

Letís talk about the ship. This vessel is simply gorgeous inside and out. Based on my experience with this ship and what Iíve seen (through the web and promotional materials) about the other ships DCL has the best looking fleet at sea!

On our embarkation day there were two Carnival ships in port. Those things looked like shipping freighters compared to the Disney. The fact that Carnival vessels had few if any veranda state rooms didnít help.

On our disembarkation day the RCCL Freedom of the Seas was in port next to the Disney Dream. That was a good boat, ten times better than any of the Carnivals, but not quite as nice as the Disney Dream. Honestly the thing that sets the DCL ships apart is the dramatic paint scheme. Classic colors reminiscent of the Queen Marry and other great ships of old. The stark white Carnival and Royal ships are reminiscent of floating hospitals, or the image of The Love Boat weíve seen since the 70ís.

The dťcor was just as good if not better then its exterior appearance. The classical Art Deco touches in the main areas, the classical nautical touches in the state rooms. I loved the classic Disney images and art woven throughout the ship. Especially the enchanted artwork.

And what about those public bathrooms? Disney is known for having some very special public restrooms. In fact each week George Taylor and Jeff Heimbauch dedicate a segment of their Communicore Weekly show to Disney Park Bathrooms. But nothing Iíve ever seen at any of the Parks or Resorts compare to these restrooms. They are fantastic. And during the busy dinner hours there is always an attendant inside to ensure that they are well maintained. And NOT one of those creepy attendants that try to dry your hands, shine your shoes, or spray you with after shave.

My only critique here is that the ship was sometimes difficult to navigate. Wasn't too difficult getting from forward to midship, but getting all the way to the aft was sometime difficult.

Re: Critique of my first DCL Experience

Follow-up critique…
    The constant cleaning and maintenance sometimes got annoying. This was also true on the RCCL ship, but to a lesser extent because they didn’t cars as much as Disney does about keeping the ship in its superior condition.

I’m used to the glory days at the Parks and Resorts when all the cleaning, painting, and maintenance occurred at night. When guest magically awoke to what appeared to a fresh new Park/Resort.

The ship operate 24/7 they don’t have the luxury to do everything at night. But it was sometimes annoying to always find a section of the ship roped off as they pressure washed, painted, swabbed the decks, and what have you.

Magic Rehab

to get a little off topic...

Iím concerned about the coming rehab of the Disney Magic. Although Iíve never been on that ship Iíve seen several photos and videos over the past decade. And from what Iíve seen it looks even better than the Dream we just sailed on. And I have had friends who have sailed both that claim the Magic is a nicer ship.

I understand the ship must be showing its age and is in need of a rehab. But from the videos posted by DCL showing the before and after photo/rendering, I prefer the before. Looks like they might even be eliminating the Dale Chihuly chandelier from the lobby atrium?

Sometimes I think Disney wastes time and money on supercilious rehabs simply to give decorators and designers busy work. Many times while ignoring major work that needs to be done.

Music

We discussed the sights; now letís focus on the sounds. The imaginers did a fantastic job integrating unique musical compositions throughout different parts of the ship, creating the immersive storytelling environment we discussed previously. What is even more impressive is the music is different in different parts of the ship, the different music create different emotions in different parts of the ship based on the surrounding of that particular space. In the Grand Atrium they played Chamber music, in Cabanas and at Castaway Cay they played Calypso arrangements, and other parts of the ship they played standards from Disneyís nautical films, shorts and attractions.

What is truly impressive is that Disney commissioned musicians to record unique compositions of classic Disney music for the ships soundtracks. Based on what Iíve seen in the parks lately Iím surprised they went to this expense. The parks stopped using their unique compositions and have since started playing stock music much of it not even Disney music. The music on the ship is better than the music in the parks.

One afternoon I was in the Grand Lobby Atrium with DD3 waiting to meet the princesses. In the background we could hear what I would ignorantly describe as Chamber Music compositions of many of our classic Disney favorites. The style was very fitting for this elegant space and the occasion of an audience with the princesses. At some point there was a song playing that was eerily familiar but based on the unique composition I couldn't place it. Then all of a sudden I realized it was baroque hoedown the theme from the Main Street Electrical Parade, but this composition made it truly unique.

Where can I buy the soundtrack?

Onboard Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post

Where can I buy the soundtrack?
    As good of a segue as anyÖ

Now we are on the ship and we have a little time to kill before the 1pm Welcome Aboard Ship Tour. Not enough time to eat lunch but enough time to browse the gift shops. Only the gift shops are closed till 6pm. Arenít I at a Disney property? Being a Disney enterprise I surprised I havenít already passed five gift shops between the car and this point. But I havenít.

I the last night of the Cruise I learn that there is some regulation where the ship stores canít be open while the ship is docked at a port. I assume this is some sort of trade agreement?

I donít remember the shops being closed as much on the RCCL ships. But the nice thing about Disney is they werenít pushing liquor, crap jewelry, and gold by the foot. This and the photos is about the only Hard Sell that Disney wasnít pushing.

The only times I ever found the shops open were during the dinner/show hours. And during those time they were absolute mad houses. Like being in the Main Street Emporium immediately after fireworks, but the madness lasted for three hours.

I donít like spending money on crap in the gift shops. And when in the park I avoid them, if I can. But I like browsing in the resorts. And similarly I wanted to browse while on the ship, especially when trying to kill time before a tour, dinner or the show.

I didnít get to spend much time in the shops or even see all of the shops, the crowds were just too extreme. But what I did notice after the short amount of time spent in there was the unique DCL merchandise. Iíve grown so very tired of the generic ďDisney ParksĒ merchandise it was refreshing to see something unique.

The limited store hours were another lost opportunity for Disney. And if regulations prohibited them from having the ship store open when in port, why not have a store at the terminal exit after customs, like at MCO? Give guest one last chance to pick up that DCL souvenir before getting in the car, cab, bus, or plane back home. This could also be a place to make a final push to sell you your photos?

Welcome Aboard Ship Tour

Several online threads recommended the Welcome Aboard Ship Tour for first time guests. And as I had trouble navigating the RCCL ships (the heavy and extensive use of alcohol didnít help) I thought the tour would be a good idea.

The Tour was a good idea, but I have a few critiques here as well...
    1. There were too many people on the tour. They broke us up into two groups, but those groups werenít small enough. They should have broken us up into three or four different groups.
    2. The tour was confined to the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors. So there was a lot we missed on the 11th floor and above. After 3 days there were parts of the ship I never got to see. We will have the book the 4 day next time so we have more time to explore.
    3. However if the tour were any longer we might have lost interest. The kids, especially DD3 was struggling there towards the end.
    4. The worst part of the tour is we had to drag along our carry on luggage around with us. A fifty + pound roll a board filled with water, Gatorade, and liquor. If you take the tour and have heavy carry on luggage, wait for the 2pm tour after you drop your bags off in the room.

Want another great way to explore the ship? Play the Midship Detective Agency interactive game.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast