Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• former CM

Re: I propose a 60-hour workweek with one day off per week for Disney Cruise Ship wor

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    . . . Crew are there to work.. they know that.
    The same could be said of almost anyone who has ever worked,
    but 77 hours a week or 4 months in a row without one day off seems excessive to me.

Disney's leaders + impoverished workers - America's labor laws =s situation to be watched.

Iger, Rasulo & Staggs are Eisner's offspring, just as Paul Pressler was.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.

• Banned User

Re: I propose a 60-hour workweek with one day off per week for Disney Cruise Ship wor

Obviously, the solution is the sharing of beds. Double up the capacity. When you're not working, you're sleeping.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Obviously, the solution is the sharing of beds. Double up the capacity. When you're not working, you're sleeping.
    Yes, the answers to all of the living quarter space questions are under the deck of Disneyland's Columbia.

And combining Japan's tube capsule hotels with Aquaduck gives you quarters for 200 right there. Flushing them out in the morning will provide them with an invigorating start to their days.

And you know those idiots who save seats in the theaters but aren't supposed to? If the armrests went up, these guests could pay Disney Cruise Line (not the CMs, of course) to let overworked CMs stretch out over four seats and nap till the shows begin.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-16-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo

• former CM

^ And hire much shorter workers who'll perform catchy tunes while they work.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-16-2013 at 04:07 AM.

• An Old Scraper Driver

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    That's almost how every navy in the world operates, it's called "hot bunking."

I don't know if this is offered on the DCL cruises, but on Holland America they have a session in which the cruise director talks about what life is like for workers on the boats. They go over job descriptions, where they sleep, where they eat, etc. They are very informative and worth a listen.
    Most of the crew members live 3 to 4 to a room. Space is very limited on boats.
    Cruise Critic's website is a great source to find out more about all the cruise lines.

• former CM

77-hour weeks & 4 months without one day off is just wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    I don't know if this is offered on the DCL cruises, but on Holland America they have a session in which the cruise director talks about what life is like for workers on the boats. They go over job descriptions, where they sleep, where they eat, etc. They are very informative and worth a listen.
    Most of the crew members live 3 to 4 to a room. Space is very limited on boats.
    Cruise Critic's website is a great source to find out more about all the cruise lines.
    Thanks, Dazy!
    Days off and more humane hours per week are apparently deemed unnecessarily expensive by Staggs, Iger and Rasulo, but I've seen at least one cruise line (Disney) advertise their effort to improve the environment, and some people might also be attracted to efforts to help people who work on cruises.

I've read comments by (
    again--forgive me) Costco customers and by employees of Starbucks and Trader Joe's that have praised these companies' efforts to treat their employees better than their competitors treat their workers. If only Iger and Staggs (and Eisner and Pressler before them) were/had been more dedicated to improving their employees' lives than in getting as much money as possible for themselves.

On the other hand (
    wish I were one handed at times), by making the best possible product as Steve Jobs did, as James Cameron has tried to do, DCL might be improving as many lives as they possibly can. Even with the hours, I suspect that working on DCL is the best job many crew members can get at this point in their lives, and it does prepare them to work for other tourist companies in their home countries. But. . .

I think articles about cruise line employees would have some impact if they appeared in Conde Nast, Travel+Leisure, or in the travel sections of the L.A. Times, N.Y. Times and the Chicago Tribune.

Or maybe the woman who made "Blackfish" could make a documentary.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-26-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Well I just got back from a Holland America cruise and they did not have the information session like they did in the past. (They have really upped the entertainment and educational sessions though.) Still there is a lot of articles out there and a few blogs on ship crew life on the Internet.

• Tonka's Skipper

I have worked those hours onboard vessels, but I was making a hell of a lot more money as a deck Officer.

I am also pleased to see that so many o you about the CM's working and the hours they put in to make our cruises so nice.

I am also a bit surprised it took 11 posts before a poster mentioned the increase cruise costs if hours were reduced. T though t would be about post or 5.

A few points:

1. You get use to the long hours and you go to sea knowing you are going to put in long hours.

2 I would suggest not reducing the hours but putting in a overtime system.

3. The CM are working on the time contract, usually 6 months to year. They don't always have to stay ashore 2 months, they can take longer, however that may affect their being able to go back to the same vessel, same position.

4. The debate that they may come from a third world country o they don't deserve good pay, just because if they were home they would make less, is a pretty poor way of just trying to cover wanting to keep the cruises as cheap as possible.

AKK

• former CM

^ ^ Thanks, Tonka' Skipper! I wonder if there will eventually be a world-wide minimum wage. Americans would be shocked if it started at only $1 per hour, but sadly for many, many millions this would be a dramatic improvement.

Meeting workers from other countries was easily one of the most interesting parts of out Alaska Disney cruise.

• former CM

This is a bit , but a thread just about crew members that guests met on their Disney cruises
    along with Disney Cruise Line CMs' posts would be interesting to me.

I just started this thread:
    Interesting crew members you met on Disney Cruises
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-11-2014 at 02:16 PM.

• former CM

This thread is about to celebrate its one-year anniversary!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12