Single Occupancy Fare

"Single-occupancy Guests will be charged 200% of the total package price for one double-occupancy traveler."

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...ccupancy-rates

I'll be travelling as a fifth wheel with a family of four. I've always wanted to go on a Disney cruise and this is my opportunity. However, I can't justify paying twice as much simply because I'm occupying a cabin alone. A singles cruise is not an option for me. I want to go with my friends and I want to go on a Disney cruise.

I'm being told that I'm a waste of space yet by that logic a couple is also a waste of space in a cabin that can occupy four. A portion of the fare is food yet I'll eat half as much as a couple. I'll use half the amount of resources. I should go to every restaurant, order or load up a second plate of food and throw it overboard. I should use two towels, sleep on both sides of the bed at the same time!

I understand that allowing too many cabins to be booked by singles is cost prohibitive. However, why don't they allocate some cabins for singles instead of charging 200%? What have other singles done? Do you just grin and bear it? Do singles not go on Disney cruises? Do they offer more reasonable fares for singles closer to the cruise date?

• Seasick

Re: Single Occupancy Fare

When I did it last year on a re-positioning cruise it was a more reasonable 150%. I heard they raised it to 175%, and now apparently 200%.

Maybe talk to a travel agent? I can understand that they don't want to lose money by giving a room to one person instead of two, but maybe as the sail dates get closer they'd be more willing to give you a deal?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• DMTNT

This is standard in the cruise industry. All rooms are double-occupancy minimum and that is adult rate. You have to pay full fare for a kid if they are the second occupant in a room.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    When I did it last year on a re-positioning cruise it was a more reasonable 150%. I heard they raised it to 175%, and now apparently 200%.

Maybe talk to a travel agent? I can understand that they don't want to lose money by giving a room to one person instead of two, but maybe as the sail dates get closer they'd be more willing to give you a deal?
    Thanks. I think my only option is to wait and see if I can get a better rate closer to the sail date. It's unfortunate they don't offer a limited number of rooms to singles at a lower rate.

• Under that tree again!

A single person also spend half the amount on drinks, excursions, souvenirs and gambling (on other cruise lines). That's where the profit margin comes from.

Can you do 3 in one room and 2 in the other? I've slept with my niece and nephew so their parents can have privacy You probably want your rooms next to or across from each other, not on different decks and ends of the ship.

For the price you are conserving will you cruise mates consider a Category 4 room that sleep 5? Or are you the truly 5th wheel?

I'd really try to work out something where you help them get an ocen view or veranda and you take a inside room across the hall.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    A single person also spend half the amount on drinks, excursions, souvenirs and gambling (on other cruise lines). That's where the profit margin comes from.

Can you do 3 in one room and 2 in the other? I've slept with my niece and nephew so their parents can have privacy You probably want your rooms next to or across from each other, not on different decks and ends of the ship.

For the price you are conserving will you cruise mates consider a Category 4 room that sleep 5? Or are you the truly 5th wheel?

I'd really try to work out something where you help them get an ocen view or veranda and you take a inside room across the hall.
    That's a good idea. I could borrow their kids just for booking. Only downside is they would have to pay full price for 1 kid but I could pay the difference and that would still be less than paying 200%.

Sharing a room with a family for 7 days isn't an option. Even if it sleeps 5, that's a tight space with only 1 bathroom. Yikes! Sharing a suite would increase their expense and I don't want them spending more just to accomodate me.

How aware are they on actual sleeping arrangements? With my luck I'd get Nurse Ratched demanding to know where my kids are.
    Last edited by wdimike55; 08-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by wdimike55 View Post
    How aware are they on actual sleeping arrangements? With my luck I'd get Nurse Ratched demanding to know where my kids are.
    The room stewards are pretty low key at enforcing things, they want to keep their tips. (Keep in mind that tips are charged to a room based on the occupancy) Maybe just keep their luggage in your room, which would help free up a little space in their parents room too.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.