SEMPER ABSURDA

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Verandas and shorts

We booked our Panama cruise with a verandah to for vacation pals who smoke. When I showed my friend Em the email from Disney, her reaction was funny:
    "Why? Didn't we book the balcony to smoke? Does this mean I have to put a bra on for my morning smoke?"
    I have klassy friends. Personally I don't smoke, and I always thought it was a fire hazard to have smoking allowed on verandahs but you can't have candles....

Shorts.... as long as they cover stuff. I wore flip flops to dinner my first cruise. At first I was like "I'm going to dress fancy and wear heels the entire time!" I don't wear heels normally and nearly fell on my face.

• Under that tree again!

I like the no smoking policy as I've had the problem of smoke blocking onto my veranda from neighbors. Still the smoking areas can not be great answers for the smokers and non smokers alike. The only good thing is smokers are dying out.

Shorts though come in a great variety. Some look nice, many don't. I think this is merely to allow them which will cut complaints about dining attire. I'm guessing we will see a big flood of swimwear in the dining rooms, board shorts on men, boy shorts on women.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Wait... I'm not allowed to wear my short shorts that are shorter than underpants? The cutoff type where they are so short the pockets are showing?

• Seasick

I like the no smoking rule. I imagine a close neighbour smoking would be unpleasant.

I think shorts are fine in the dining rooms. Seeing someone in a t-shirt instead of a polo or collared shirt feels a bit inappropriate for restaurant dining, but I don't think I'd really notice if someone was in shorts versus pants.

A little surprised they're allowed on formal nights. Is dressing up strictly optional? If it is, why even have a formal night?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    A little surprised they're allowed on formal nights. Is dressing up strictly optional? If it is, why even have a formal night?
    I think the formal night is more an opportunity for those that want to dress up than a policy. I've also noticed on short cruises like 3 to 5 day there was little participation, a few blazers here and there. On longer 7 day cruise a handful of tuxes and more suits. Pirate Night is the DCL night to dress up for.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

From what I've gathered:
    -3-4 days no formal/dressy nights. Some people get fancy but others don't (I think this is because if you are doing a shorter cruise you're probably visiting the parks and you may not need to dress up... Double duty packing? That's what I've guessed).
    -5-7 days you have one fancy night (Captains Gala where they hand out booze) and a semi-fancy night.
    -10-14+ day cruises you have 1 formal, 2 semi-formal nights. I know for our Panama Canal cruise I'm packing my 3 fairly fancy dresses.

I'm mixed on the whole shorts thing. I like capri pants, but some people go super short. The smoking thing to me seems more of a safety issue.

• Tomorrow's Child

The smoking thing is something from the wider industry. Far as I know RCI or Carnival already have this policy, with Cunard and P&O following suit.

The shorts thing is.. hmm..

Personally, I don't think you should wear shorts in a restaurant in the evening irrespective of that nights dress code - especially not on a formal night, but then I guess I'm old school.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney