• former CM

Disney should cruise to Hong Kong, Tokyo & Shanghai

Almost two years ago I posted this thread:
    Disney Cruises should travel to Hong Kong & Tokyo
    (That thread is closed, btw.)

I'd like it to start and end in different cities so we could extend our stays in those locations.
    And Disney should allow its cruise line members to have some special perks like a late-night or early morning ride on Tokyo's Pooh ride.

If this happens (It could. And monkeys might fly out of . . .), I selflessly volunteer to endure Micechat's putting my family up in the ship's Walt Disney Suite so I can review the experience for Micechat.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Disney should cruise to Hong Kong, Tokyo & Shanghai

I think it is possible. The main problem is Hong Kong is far from other wealthy areas. And the wealthy areas don't really like each other. China in increasingly destabilizing the region.

I think Disney should look for an island off the Philipines and stop there on long the long trips from Sydney or Tokyo. Doing trips for one season from the south and the other season from the north.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Current CM

Hong Kong <> Taiwan <> Nagasaki / Yokohama anyone?
    Oh I almost forgot Singapore and Vietnam

• Minion

I don't see a problem, in fact it'd be quite a unique trip to offer. Although it'd probably have to be a limited thing, I don't think there'd be a huge market for more than one sailing a year.

It'd be pretty sweet to look out the cabin window and see Sleeping Beauty Castle. I presume HKDL would have to be a tender port?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I'd like it to start and end in different cities so we could extend our stays in those locations.
    And Disney should allow its cruise line members to have some special perks like a late-night or early morning ride on Tokyo's Pooh ride.
    You were oddly forward looking. I think the bigger news is that Royal Caribbean is moving their brand new Quantum of the Seas to Shanghai. First it's a big deal to have newer ships do International itineraries, but it's rather ground breaking to move their newest one so quickly to an emerging market.

Look for that to completely set the tone. If their gamble pays off, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney builds their 5/6 in their fleet specifically with the goal of shifting one ship permanently to Shanghai.

Now if Disney (aka OLC) really gets creative, they could design a port in Tokyo Bay and do an overnight stop to basically role guests into a 2-day TDS/TDL visit directly off the ship on all itineraries (much like ships usually do two days in Venice).

On another note entirely - no need for "late night" access on Pooh. It's always a been a walk on late at night when I've visited.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    Now if Disney (aka OLC) really gets creative, they could design a port in Tokyo Bay and do an overnight stop to basically role guests into a 2-day TDS/TDL visit directly off the ship on all itineraries (much like ships usually do two days in Venice).
    I have always wondered if it would be worth it to build a terminal along side TDL and HKDL. It's one thing if a Disney ship docked there, but so could Royal Caribbean, Princess or whomever. You could capture 2,000-5,000 excursion guests for a day. And sure they could do a 2 day, two park visit with their hotel sitting at the dock. If it's a Disney ship it would be like they own an onsite hotel once a week.

The problem I notice is that both Tokyo and Hong Kong are hub cities. So they could be more like an end point where people embark and disembark. So the terminals may need to be bigger to handle luggage, and have parking.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    . . . Royal Caribbean is moving their brand new Quantum of the Seas to Shanghai. First it's a big deal to have newer ships do International itineraries, but it's rather ground breaking to move their newest one so quickly to an emerging market.

Look for that to completely set the tone. If their gamble pays off, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney builds their 5/6 in their fleet specifically with the goal of shifting one ship permanently to Shanghai.

On another note entirely - no need for "late night" access on Pooh. It's always a been a walk on late at night when I've visited.
    Thank you for that informative post, BrianLo!

Two nights in Venice makes sense, and the Disney Cruise spent two nights in the equally beautiful San Francisco on it's way two and from Alaska.

• Minion FOREVER!

Why not do another "Castaway Cay"? There are a bunch of islands around Philippines that have potential. Ex. Siayan Island

• Not here to help

I think it is just a matter of time. But first Disney has to work some more on a real money eating project, MyMagic+.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Almost two years ago I posted this thread:
    Disney Cruises should travel to Hong Kong & Tokyo
    (That thread is closed, btw.)

If this happens (It could. And monkeys might fly out of . . .), I selflessly volunteer to endure Micechat's putting my family up in the ship's Walt Disney Suite so I can review the experience for Micechat.
    Oh, I so agree, as it might be the only way I ever get to see those 3 theme parks, but I'd like to take it a step further to a world cruise to show the Mick and Disney Cruise Line all around the world.

Florida (Walt Disney World)
    Castaway Cay
    east coast of Mexico
    Columbia
    the Canal
    west coast of Mexico
    L.A. (Disneyland)
    Hawaii
    Japan (Tokyo Disneyland)
    China (Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disneyland)
    Indochina
    Australia (maybe)
    Singapore (maybe)
    India
    Suez Canal
    Egypt
    Mediterranean (Turkey, Greece, Italy, southern France [Disneyland Paris], Spain)
    Canary Islands or Madiera Islands
    Castaway Cay

110 days divided into 1 week and 2 week segments for anyone who does not want to take the entire cruise.

• Minion FOREVER!

Hey, TexasKid, you missed Marseille and a side trip to DLP! :-)

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexasKid View Post
    Oh, I so agree, as it might be the only way I ever get to see those 3 theme parks, but I'd like to take it a step further to a world cruise to show the Mick and Disney Cruise Line all around the world.

Castaway Cay
    east coast of Mexico
    Columbia
    the Canal
    west coast of Mexico
    L.A. (Disneyland)
    Hawaii
    Japan (Tokyo Disneyland)
    China (Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disneyland)
    Indochina
    Australia (maybe)
    Singapore (maybe)
    India
    Suez Canal
    Egypt
    Mediterranean (Turkey, Greece, Italy, southern France [Disneyland Paris], Spain)
    Canary Islands or Madiera Islands
    Castaway Cay

110 days divided into 1 week and 2 week segments for anyone who does not want to take the entire cruise.
    Dusty, I get dibs on reviewing this for Micechat. My family will settle for an inside cabin to save Micechat money.

Seriously, if I get to heaven and it begins with this cruise, the afterlife will surpass my expectations.

Texas Kid, please add Norway and Alaska if you're in charge of this. And thanks for writing a post that cheered me up!

P.S. I'd like some epic day trips to some of the incredibly beautiful national parks in South America. And add New Zealand and Antarctica while we're dreaming.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-09-2014 at 02:23 PM.