Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

Re: PB and Westley Get Locked Up

Detail: Each of our waiters had a different nationality.

Moving on quickly...

It's good that PB threw in a bunch of the details in the last bit since photographic documentation started to wane while at sea. But perhaps not surprisingly for a MiceChat oriented group, there was drinking.

The day started out well enough - this was a tricky sunrise due to the clouds - the best shots came after the official sunrise.

skipping ahead a bit to the pre-dinner drinks
    We had too much rum and tequila (no, seriously, too much) just sitting around in our rooms so we had sort of a pre-dinner booze potluck to work on that unfortunate situation. Oh, and Joe needed to steam his shirt too, so we cheered him on with that.

This is our server Adrian again.

And this is the "Fruity Adrian." I think at least one of these was served at every dinner. Katrina usually had one.

And some nights, despite all of the great choices for desert, the best choice was a Mickey Bar.

So this was another day at sea. next up: Acapulco and petroglyphs.
    Last edited by Westley; 06-02-2008 at 08:45 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

I loved Joe's question "Do you think I should steam my shirt with it on or off?"

Um, OFF! After all, it was a steamer and therefore ,very hot!

We didn't have much in our room in the way of appetizers even though we could have ordered room service. But we were too lazy so I think we ended up having Milka chocolate bars we'd bought in Aruba and some white chocolate that Earkid contributed from one of her birthday surprises.

We'll never know for sure what was in those fruity Adrians , but obviously there were maraschino cherries as one of the ingredients.....lots and lots of them!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, I have a few other details to add about that day at sea. I had gotten up at the crack of dawn to do a little bit of laundry as there were very few washers and dryers and therefore always a line.

Then, I actually went to church . It was held at the Sessions lounge , which was an unusual location to attend church, but it was a very nice service. I liked the music and the message was about love.

That day at lunch we all went to Lumiere's for lunch and played a murder mystery game which I had brought with me. Everyone was really good about getting into their characters so it made it a lot of fun. Wolfy turned out to be the murderer at the end...her character name was Gloria Stunnem, but it turned out that she had had a sex operation and was secretly the mob guy Joe what's his name! LOL

During lunch someone yelled "Whale" and pointed out the window and everyone started running to the starboard side of the room to see it. There was a huge commotion! Then a few moments later , one of the cute little waiters came running through the front door of the restaurant with a huge grin on his face and a poster with his hand drawn picture of a whale and the word "WHALE!" LOL It was great!

After dinner that night, there was an encore performance of the cabaret show in the Walt Disney Theater and we all went to that. I think there was a spring bash with jello shots after that in Rock n Bar d , but Ken and I were exhausted so we skipped that!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 06-02-2008 at 08:36 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

The next morning I woke up at the crack of dawn feeling very thirsty so I made my way up to the back of the 9th deck and the soda machine. I grabbed two sodas and began walking around the deck which was kind of slippery since it had rained a little the night before. So I went down to the 4th deck to walk around and started chatting with another gal who was walking and we suddenly started seeing dolphins .....lots and lots of them!

I ran upstairs and got Ken out of bed to come see them, but then they'd all disappeared for a while so we just walked around the deck enjoying the sunrise.

Just as we were about to give up on seeing the dolphins together, a couple more made an appearance!

We had a yummy breakfast and then I took a nap in a lounge chair while Ken walked around taking pictures. He woke me up when we started pulling into Acapulco because the bay there was so pretty!

the view from our room

Here's a shot of the basketball/sports court at the top and front of deck 9

The crew was always hard at work keeping the ship in tip top condition:

It's customary to fly the flag of whatever country they're entering:

And the Disney flag as well!

Some of the cruise staff

After the scenery, the next thing we noticed were all the Volkswagen bugs that are used as taxis. There were lots of them just whizzing by the port!

There was also this fine vehicle we saw later.

We had an excursion to the ancient petroglyphs scheduled so we got off the ship and met up with our tour guide and van driver. He took us on a wild ride up impossibly narrow and steep streets as we gripped the backs of the seats and tried not to scream!

We arrived a little while later at the petroglyophs about a thousand feet higher than sea level where we had an awesome view of the city, the bay and the ship.

Now had we just taken a cab and then paid to see the Petroglyphs on our own, it would have cost us about $7.00 each. But instead we paid $52 each to go with the tour group. It wasn't much fun sitting around waiting for about 45 people to use the one bathroom before beginning the hike (you'd think they would have thought to go before leaving the ship). And our tour guide had been called over from another tour at the last minute so he did have the water but not the granola bars we were supposed to get and some people were getting a little faint from the heat and being hungry.

But Ken and I enjoyed it immensely and the rest of our group seemed to pull it together pretty well too. We all made it to the very top even though it was a little tough going at times. Good thing we all had handy dandy walking sticks.

posing with the ship in his fingers

The tour guide was pretty cute and comical without trying to be because of the way he pronounced some English words. And the petroglyphs were neat to see. The drawings were very simple , but each one told a story and many details about the families who had drawn them.

and to decode it...

When the tour ended we each got to pick a rock from one of the local women and I picked one that had the palma sola drawing on it like this poster:

We got back in the van and began the scary descent back down the mountain. We stopped at one of the mercados and the tour guide gave us five minutes to shop as fast as we could. Earkid and I are good! We managed to get some drinks , a key holder, a pink bracelet and a brown headband for under twenty bucks despite my rusty Spanish!

While we were driving we saw this on the side of a truck

and these Domino's bikes.

Then we went to a restaurant by the ocean where we had a fruity drink (not nearly as good as Adrian's) and some appetizers. I was scared to drink the drink because it had ice in it so I just had an ice cold beer which hit the spot since it was so hot outside that day.

We were given the option of riding in the van back to the ship or walking so we chose to walk so we could shop. WE got hit up by one of the locals to buys some silver bracelets and they were just our style so we got the guy down from $30 each for the bracelets to 2 for $30.

We were happy with our purchase but then another one of the locals said "Don't buy that silver junk from that guy. If there's a storm you'll get electrocuted because it's just junk!" He kept following us and bugging us and Earkid yelled at him "We like junk!" That became our motto for shopping in Mexico.

We came to a shop that had cute magnets and postcards and dresses. Earkid got a cute dress to wear over her swimsuit and I got a pretty purple halter dress. Then we crossed the street to go check out the huge Tequila store. The annoying local guy was still following us. Earkid said "Aren't you supposed to be working right now?" and he said "I am working right now." I was like "Everyone, hang onto your wallets!" But he turned out to be an okay guy...just pesky!

We checked out all the cool tequilas and knick knacks at the store and by then it was about 5 pm and we were pretty hot and beat and tired of the guy following us so we went back to the ship. There were a lot of poor mountain people along the sidewalk there selling pens and gum and little wood critters...anything they could to make some money. I got a couple of the colorful pens for my kids back home.

I wanted to give the kids there candy or pesos , but once you do that you get mobbed as I'd found out earlier that day at Palma Sola. But when we got on the ship we asked one of the crew members if the characters would be coming outside to wave to all the families who were lined up on the sidewalk below and they said yes!

Once onboard the ship, I was very hungry and they'd made fabulous Mexican food that night for dinner. I ate a ton of avocados and mangos and chips and salsa. Everything was yummy!

Ken had this. We don't know what it was, but it tasted better than it looked!

Ken also had this for dessert and it tasted better than it looked too.

Minnie Mouse danced in during the dinner show.

And that night after dinner, on the 9th deck , they had all the nice lunge chairs set up with big comfy pillows so you could just lay there and relax and look at the beautiful scenery as we pulled out of Acapulco.

It had been a great day and night!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 06-02-2008 at 06:00 PM.

• Minion

Yay! More please

That is such a great picture of you two!

• Circle of Ancients

^ That just makes me laugh because we were both still half asleep and still wearing the clothes we had passed out in I mean fallen asleep in , the night before!

The next day we arrived in Puerto Vallarta which is a beautiful port...so clean and nice .

The plan was to do some sightseeing and shopping in the morning and then our dolphin excursion in the afternoon.

So Ken and I and Kevin and Shayne and Joe got off the ship and found a nice air conditioned van to ride 4 miles to town at $3 each. We got out at a very touristy area. There were Senor Frogs everywhere. Don't know what was up with that. There were also several stores claiming to have the best prices in Puerto Vallarta. We went into one and got playing cards and magnets. We went into another and got some cool t shirts that were pretty good quality for a good price.

There were some really cool sculptures and pretty awesome sand castles all along the beach.

We also saw some flying men. The song "working 9-5 what a way to make a living" went through my head when I saw these guys!

We went into an oxxo store which is the Mexican version of 7-11 and Joe got a Bomba Energy Drink which is the Mexican version of a red bull only the bottle is much more distinctive. It looks like a little hand grenade. And we were all giggling when Joe pulled the "trigger" and it made this really funny sound.

Then we went to the flea market. There was a lot of cool stuff but the merchants there were tough cookies. I asked one guy about a parrot I wanted to buy for my son and he said "It's normally 400 pesos (forty bucks) but for you I'll make it 250 pesos (twenty five bucks)." I said "Let me go ask my husband if it's okay" and he said "No , you give me the money right now!" I was like "I don't think so bud!" I did get a really cute purse for my daughter there and Joe got a cool ring.

Then we passed by a shop that had free Tequila tasting. It was only 10 am , but we figured "What the heck, it's free." We tried Mescal first which was pretty gross, but then we tried some tequila that was really good so Ken and Joe each bought a bottle of it which was challenging since the store only took cash and they didn't have any. Luckily there was an ATM machine close by that dispensed pesos.

Then came the taxi ride that will go down in infamy. We asked the driver if he had room for five of us and he said yes. But Joe had to sit on my lap! I had been telling people all during the trip that he was my long lost son who I had given up for adoption when I was 15 so it seemed fitting. But after two miles, I was like "get off!" Only there was no where for him to go . So he kneeled down in the floor space in front of me which looked very odd to passers by. I think some of them thought we were having sex, especially when we started embracing and making goo goo eyes. That made us giggle for a while. Then we started making faces like "Help, get us out of here!" It was sooooooo funny to see people's reactions to us! I will never forget that taxi ride as long as I live!

Back on the ship we grabbed a very quick bite to eat, changed into our swimsuits and headed to the dolphin excursion. We knew this would probably be our favorite and it did not disappoint,. We got transported to the location by boat. Yay! Any time I'm on a boat , I'm in heaven.

When we got to the destination, we were so excited that we didn't notice the unusual smell...more about that later.

We got instructions about what to do and then we hopped into the pool with the dolphins. They were soooooo cute and so fun to pet. They would roll over like dogs and let you pet their tummies. They weren't soft , but actually kind of hard like plastic. I had bruises on me later where they had bumped into me.

We all got to take turns hugging them and being kissed by them. Then we got to ride them.

After that we all had to stay by the side of the pool while they did tricks for us. It was so cool.

We were in the pool for about an hour total and when we got out , that's when we noticed the smell. We stunk. Really really bad. Like dolphin crap !

Luckily they had showers right there for us.

After we'd all rinsed off as best we could, they also had a really nice buffet lunch for us. We tried not to eat too much because we knew we were going to Palo later , but we couldn't help ourselves because the food was so yummy!
    These guys thought so too.

After lunch we looked at our pictures and picked out the ones we liked best. The one of Ken being kissed by the dolphins is hands down my favorite one from the entire trip!

We took the boat back to the ship, rinsed off our skins and swimsuits some more...this time with lots and lots of soap and then got ready for dinner at Palo.

More on that later.
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 06-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    While we were driving we saw this on the side of a truck
    Must be a good product!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

^ That just makes me laugh because we were both still half asleep and still weari ng the clothes we had passed out in I mean fallen asleep in , the night before!
    Silly, if you hadn't have said anything I wouldn't have known!

Ewww who knew the dolphins were so gross. You all look like you're having fun in the few pictures I've seen.

• making magic is fun!

Your pictures are beautiful, thank you so much for sharing them.
    Kelly

• Earth Intruder

OMG how did I miss this thread before?

You guys know that PB is my new mom, right?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Hangin Around

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post

And... you have a new Grandma/Grandpa .

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

More on that later.
    So Palo is a fabulous restaurant on the Magic with that extra wow factor. You've seen our description of the brunch earlier.

Dinner at Palo was a calmer experience since we just went with Shayne and Kevin. Tired from our time with the dolphins we had a quiet celebratory dinner (birthday and anniversary for our friends )

10 years, huh?

We had great food, we had great wine, we enjoyed excellent service from the staff and kitchen. And, really, there isn't much point showing pictures because it wasn't that kind of evening. So I'll just add two more to wrap up the day.

the entryway

oh - the night's towel animal was
    Last edited by Westley; 06-03-2008 at 02:25 PM.

• GO DBACKS!!

And notice how Ken is sunburned more on one side of his face! That takes talent!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Aw, I love your dolphin pictures . The one of Ken is so dang cute!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post

Correction...long lost mom!

Joanne, you always get such good pictures of food. Here's one of ours that doesn't look too appetizing even though it was very tasty:

Dontcha love ths shadow on the plate too?!

This tiramisu was really tasty too, but it looks more like bread pudding here:

I don't even remember what dessert this was:

This one looks as good as it tasted:

After all the desserts , we definitely needed to hit this place:

Every time we went to the gym, we passed by this picture in the staircase.
    It was one of my favorite ones on the ship. Can you guess why?

I just realized that I skipped a day. We actually had a sea day between Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.

I had woken up at sunrise again:

Then it was off to aerobics, followed by our character breakfast called "Mickey's Island Jam" at Parrot Cay that was part of our dining rotation. Some party poopers from our group chose to skip it, but I dragged Ken to it . Mwa ha ha.

At the top of this photo is a knock off of the Tiki Room birds. Below the birds there was a rowdy show going on with all of the Lilo and Stitch characters and other cast members

I have absolutely no idea why they did this , but soon we were all covered with napkin hats and looked really dorky

Cherny's expression in this picture makes me laugh every time I look at it!

I don't know why he was so grumpy initially, but he perked up a few moments later:

I was in a pretty silly mood after breakfast

We went to the gift shop after that . The mugs looked kind of neat all lined up on the shelf:

I was collecting Webkins pets for my kids. At first I had crowns on them. Then when we got to Mexico , I switched to sombreros:

Katrina dragged me to a fruit carving seminar. I thought we were going to carve fruit, but no, all we did was watch while the chef who didn't talk much at all hid what he was doing to the watermelon from our view. I fell sound asleep! LOL

After that, I went and hung out at the pool and jacuzzi and had my hair braided. Then I played Bingo with Ken. Then we watched Lilo and Stitch on the tv in our room.

WE had dinner that night at Parrot Cay and afterward there was a Rockstar party in Rock n bar d that was a blast. They were playing lots of 80's music . Then right at 11:15 they turned off the music and brought out a guitar player/musician/comedian who was not good and the place emptied out in about 5 minutes. We called it a night and went back to our stateroom.

I think this was a frog on our bed.

Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 06-03-2008 at 10:39 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

So the day after Puerto Vallarta was the day we went to Cabo San Lucas. This was the only port where we had to be tendered on small boats from the ship to the shore.

We had booked a Harbor Cruise and Scenic drive . Here are some pictures from the harbor cruise part:

It was extremely windy so the boat had to go really slow in the harbor.

We had a nice view of our ship as we were leaving

Then we started seeing the sandy beach and some people....

....who had arrived there by the water taxis:

A sea lion was waving to everyone who passed by

The rock formations there are pretty cool:

I'm surprised this boat wasn't sinking:

I guess they get a lot of people wanting to buy this land. There were "No se vende " signs all over this area.

It was so windy...Earkid couldn't even keep her hat on!

Just hanging out with my homies:

There wasn't a whole lot to see in Cabo besides those rock formations

The writing on this boat caught my eye though.

Wish this was mine!

After the cruise we were put a very nice bus, driven through town, and to the top of a hill to a nice Italian restaurant. I thought they were going to give us lunch there, but all we got was a beverage. It was windy there too and we got to see more of the same view , just from a farther distance!

We were kind of bored.

So we made our own fun

I put my big toe in the water to see how warm it was. It was cold, but not nearly as cold as the ocean water which we discovered later.

We were all hungry so we had the bus driver drop us off in town and went to Cabo Wabo:

A few folks had the Cabo Waborita

After lunch, we walked around the courtyard by the restaurant. I got a pedicure from one of the young gals and did a little shopping.

There was a lot of cheap and weird stuff.

I loved this statue for obvious reasons!

If you blink , you would miss the town. It is so small!

Katrina was asking for walking directions to the beach so we wouldn;'t have to pay for a water taxi.

When we got there, we tried to go in the water, but it was freezing! We took a little nap and then we headed back to the ship.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with Cabo. It wasn't what I expected. But I know some people who did other excursions had a fabulous time there.

Also, I wasn't feeling very well that day so I may have just been in the wrong frame of mind to fully enjoy it.

That night was Pirate Night on the ship. Many people dressed up. We were a little early for dinner , but we didn't mind because we ran into Pirate Minnie:

Everyone was given these bandannas

After dinner , there was a party up on the 9th deck followed by fireworks. Most people were watching them from the family ppol, but Ken and I decided to watch them from the Quiet Cove pool. It was pretty neat!

We went back to our stateroom after that and found a monkey hanging around there:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast