Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Where can I buy cheap, college textbooks?

Today, I found out that the textbook for my mathclass this coming up semester will be $125. Of course that is beyond ridiculous and so not worth the money. The book is said to be a new edition, but I think it may have been around for about a year or so because the schools bookstore website said that they once had used copies of the book that were being sold at $90.

I checked Amazon and they had one seller on there with positive reviews selling the book for $80 something bucks. It is said to be used, but still in good condition. But I don't want to purchase anything yet before I do my research.

Are there any good, trustworthy, internet sites that specialize in selling new text books for cheap prices that you can recommend??

I would really appreciate your input because I can't be off spending an additional $125 when I have auto Insurance, Tuition, which I'm sure will be over $800, and other bills that need to be paid off by the end of next month.

$125 for a $50 book proves there is price gouging going on in my opinion.

• Senior Minion

Re: Where can I buy cheap, college textbooks?

You can try abebooks.com or campusbooks.com

I've used both of them before.

Good luck, I know how expensive textbooks are and getting used is always prefered to save money.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I saw a link to Abebooks.com on the side of my Google search page but was iffy about checking them out because I never heard of them. But now that I know someone who has used their service, I will check them out .

I saw a book selling company called A1Books on my Google shopping search and they were selling the book for about $82. They have much more positive reviews than negative ones so I will also check them out.

• GO DBACKS!!

I've bought texts from Abebooks and A1books before. Most of my textbooks I found at Alibris.com. I don't know much about their stock of used books since all my textbooks I have to keep for my reference library so I bought new. But their prices were always competitive. If you are a Barnes and Noble member you can also get free shipping from their textbook site.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I calculated the total cost of my textbooks I need for classes when they begin and it totaled at $631.89 w/o tax. I will use these sites as well. Although, most of my books come with workbooks and can't be bought new

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

• Minion

Blog Entries

Go to chegg.com and rent your books!

If you don'tneed to keep it, why not rent? they also plant a tree for every book rented.

I did this for the summer semester and rented 2 books. they are in perfect shape.Aslo, chegg allows some highlighting as long as you don't get crazy!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I tried AbeBooks and Barnes, but they don't have my book in stock. A1Books has my book in stock for $82 and saves me over $40. So I am highly considering them. Their positive reviews heavily outweigh the negative ones.

Thank you for your recommendations !

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I calculated the total cost of my textbooks I need for classes when they begin and it totaled at $631.89 w/o tax. I will use these sites as well. Although, most of my books come with workbooks and can't be bought new
    As far as handbooks are concerned, are those handbooks offerend by the school or the book publishers? Because maybe they are posted on the publishers website for students to access also.

It's always better to buy your books off campus it seems. Heck, I went to the book publishers website, and they sell the book for $130!! So my school bookstore has a cheaper price than the book publishers do! Of course, that is to be expected, but still, it's insane!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i used ecampus.com several times when i was in college, but that was a good 7 years ago so i'm not sure how they are now. I never had a problem with them tho
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I'll have to keep this thread in mind here in a couple weeks...thanks for the input everyone!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

A couple of years ago, I use to get all my textbooks on www.half.com and got some great deals.

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    A couple of years ago, I use to get all my textbooks on www.half.com and got some great deals.
    Yes, half.com is awesome. My daughter and I bought all of our college books there and we still use it to buy personal use books.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• The line's too long...

Half.com should be your first destination. eBay is worth a try as well for the seller shops. Amazon.com would the next stop. The trick is to buy very early well before the beginning of the semester (i.e. as soon as you know what books you'll need) to buy the books from last semester's students before this semester's start buying them. That will ensure you get the best prices. Don't delay, buy them now.

• Again! Again! Again!

I bought a lot of my books online. I would go for the one that was cheapest but in the best shape too. I bought online through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and ecampus.com. I think there was something called ebooks too, but I don't remember.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I found out that the satellite campus I attend does have used versions of the book for $88 so I think that's what I will do. I can go over there today and pick it up and not have to worry about shipping costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast