Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Harry Potter Tales of Beedle The Bard

Well it looks like a lot of people were correct in assuming this. The book will be released for sale on December 4th of this year with JK's blessing and she even is providing new sketches and a new handwritten intro. The book will be available from Amazon in two formats.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition ($7.95)

In December 2007, J.K. Rowling unveiled The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a very special book of five fairy tales illustrated by the bard herself, embellished with silver ornaments and mounted moonstones. Amazon was fortunate to come into possession of one of the original copies, and it was our privilege to share images and reviews of this incredible artifact.

Now J.K. Rowling is giving millions of Harry Potter fans worldwide cause for celebration with a new edition of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, available December 4, 2008. Offering the trademark wit and imagination familiar to Rowling's legions of readers--as well as Aesop's wisdom and the occasional darkness of the Brothers Grimm--each of these five tales reveals a lesson befitting children and parents alike: the strength gained with a trusted friendship, the redemptive power of love, and the true magic that exists in the hearts of all of us. Rowling's new introduction also comments on the personal lessons she has taken from the Tales, noting that the characters in Beedle's collection "take their fates into their own hands, rather than taking a prolonged nap or waiting for someone to return a lost shoe," and "that magic causes as much trouble as it cures."

But the true jewel of this new edition is the enlightening and comprehensive commentary (including extensive footnotes!) by Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, who brings his unique wizard's-eye perspective to the collection. Discovered "among the many papers which Dumbledore left in his will to the Hogwarts Archives," the venerable wizard's ruminations on the Tales allow today's readers to place them in the context of 16th century Muggle society, even allowing that "Beedle was somewhat out of step with his times in preaching a message of brotherly love for Muggles" during the era of witch hunts that would eventually drive the wizarding community into self-imposed exile. In fact, versions of the same stories told in wizarding households would shock many for their uncharitable treatment of their Muggle characters.

Professor Dumbledore also includes fascinating historical backstory, including tidbits such as the history and pursuit of magic wands, a brief comment on the Dark Arts and its practitioners, and the struggles with censorship that eventually led "a certain Beatrix Bloxam" to cleanse the Tales of "much of the darker themes that she found distasteful," forever altering the meaning of the stories for their Muggle audience. Dumbledore also allows us a glimpse of his personal relationship to the Tales, remarking that it was through "Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump" that "many of us [wizards] first discovered that magic could not bring back the dead."
    Both a wise and delightful addition to the Harry Potter canon, this new translation of The Tales of Beedle the Bard is all that fans could hope for and more--and an essential volume for the libraries of Muggles, wizards, and witches, both young and old.

Net proceeds from this Standard Edition support of the Children's High Level Group, a charity co-founded in 2005 by J K Rowling and Emma Nicholson MEP to make life better for vulnerable children. (The Children's High Level Group is a charity registered in England and Wales under registered charity number 1112575.)

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition ($100)

Offered Exclusively by Amazon (Available in Limited Quantities)
    In December 2007, J.K. Rowling unveiled The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a very special book of five fairy tales illustrated by the bard herself, embellished with silver ornaments and mounted moonstones. Amazon was fortunate to come into possession of one of the original copies, and it was our privilege to share images and reviews of this incredible artifact.

Now J.K. Rowling is giving millions of Harry Potter fans worldwide cause for celebration with a new edition of The Tales of Beedle the Bard (available December 4, 2008) and Amazon is thrilled to exclusively offer a luxuriously packaged Collector’s Edition designed to evoke the spirit of the handcrafted original. Tucked in its own case disguised as a wizarding textbook found in the Hogwarts library, the Collector's Edition includes an exclusive reproduction of J.K. Rowling's handwritten introduction, as well as 10 additional illustrations not found in the standard edition or the original.

Opening the case reveals a velvet bag embroidered with J.K. Rowling’s signature, in which sits the piece de resistance: your very own copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, complete with metal skull, corners, and clasp; replica gemstones; and emerald ribbon.

Both a wise and delightful addition to the Harry Potter canon, this new translation of The Tales of Beedle the Bard is all that fans could hope for and more--and an essential volume for the libraries of Muggles, wizards, and witches, both young and old.

Net proceeds from this Collector's Edition support of the Children's High Level Group, a charity co-founded in 2005 by J K Rowling and Emma Nicholson MEP to make life better for vulnerable children. (The Children's High Level Group is a charity registered in England and Wales under registered charity number 1112575.)

Since it is now available at Amazon I and they don't charge the C/C until it is shipped, I went ahead and ordered the Deluxe Version. How could I not? Being the Harry Potter geek that I am.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 07-31-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: links added
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Harry Potter Tales of Beedle The Bard

Yeah, I've got to have the collectors edition, even though I can't quite afford it right now. It's Harry Potter for goodness sake!

Isn't this the same book that Amazon had to agree they wouldn't ever sell? I see they found a way around that.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

That's what I was thinking when this notice came through this morning from both Amazon US and Amazon UK. They are both the same price if you convert the Pounds to Dollars but the free shipping in the UK is only offered in the UK so I got the US Amazon as I got free shipping. And you have until December to save the money up so it's in the account on December 4th. And the NET proceeds do go charity so it's not like it's going into her purse or I wouldn't have pre ordered it. The Deluxe Version just looks so cool. Got to have it!

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Yeah, I've got to have the collectors edition, even though I can't quite afford it right now. It's Harry Potter for goodness sake!

Isn't this the same book that Amazon had to agree they wouldn't ever sell? I see they found a way around that.

i believe Jo said as long as it's for charity....and it partially is...

• Banned User

Totally have to have the collector's edition. I'm glad she's allowing this to happen. I've always thought that the whole, "I wrote a book but none of you can read it!" attitude was a bit arrogant and unappreciative of her. This is certainly a wise move.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Oh, but I think they've made it so you have to get both books. The "regular" version has Dumbledore's notes in it, and you know you need that. That's the part that ties it to HBP!
    A signature should go here.

I think when I edited the Deluxe Version description to avoid repeating a lot of stuff I accidentally cut out that part. The Deluxe Version has everything the standard editions does, plus the case, bag and 10 illustrations instead of 5. So you don't have to buy both.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

But I want both.
    A signature should go here.

Blog Entries

Yeah! I remember when I first read Deathly Hallows last year thinking to myself that I would love to read all of the tales and that she should write them!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

How could I possibly rationalize the cost of the deluxe version? But somehow I must!

• Characters are my friends

I can't wait to get it!!
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I must have this. The collector's edition.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'll pass. I liked the Harry Potter books but.....

• Disneyland PAP

Well, my books arrived this evening from Amazon. I pre-order both versions. I didn't realize the "cheap" version was gonna be a hardcover, nice! Then I opened the deluxe version. It came in its own shipping box even tho' I ordered both at the same time. But looking at what I found inside explained why the deluxe received special shipping attention. Inside a cellophane wrap, there's a white sleeve with "This Side Up" in Parseltongue font on the front slipped over a very large "book". But the book is obviously a presentation case that holds the actual Beetle book within. The case is not overly designed, but has a nice feel of faux leather on the cover and spine and embossing accents here and there. Opening the cover there's a pocket on the inside left that holds an envelope of reproductions of several illustrations by J.K. Rowling. Then, the right is covered with a fabric surface, and in the middle is a slight well where a maroon drawstring pouch with Rowling's autograph embroidered on the front of it sits. Removing it from the well, I withdraw the book inside the pouch, which is a close reproduction of the actual book I've seen pictures of online, with a metal clasp that swings open to allow access to the pages inside. I browse through the pages and read through JK's hand-written introduction dated 2008 before closing it back up. Overall, it's a pretty impressive presentation for a Harry Potter fan. Worth a hundred dollars? I'd say…yes. But YMMV. Plus proceeds go to charity. For now, I've returned it all into its original packaging and shipping carton. I'll pull it out for HP fan friends who come over. But the other version is on my nightstand to start reading.

• Knight that says Nee!!

By amazing coincidence, I was at DISNEYLAND when this was released. I picked up my reserved copy today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast