• Higitus Figitus

Into the Wild- What did you think?

Hey! just finished reading "into the wild" for my school's summer reading, and was wondering what everyone thought of the book and the character Chris McCandless. I thought it was a very well-written story and it seemed like the author answered all my questions(for a change!)
    when i thought Chris probably had planned to commit suicide while out in the wild- the author not only gave proof that Chris did NOT, he also gave an explanation for what was most likely going through Chris's mind during his adventures.
    i also loved chris as a character- despite his many flaws, he was ostensibly a sincere and likable individual, reminding me a lot of Phineas from A Seperate Peace.

Thoughts?
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Into the Wild- What did you think?

First off, as a teacher, I commend you on ACTUALLY reading one those books recommended over the summer. I have read all three of the books by Jon Kraksomething (can't remember the spelling) and found him to be an excellent author.

You have to remember, he is a reporter...so anticipating and then answering questions tends to be part of his writings. However, also note, much of that specific text is speculation. The author never met the young man; he can only guess what was on his mind.

But, like yourself, I tend agree...yes, the author's speculations are very, very good.

The movie? I wasn't that impressed.

Into Thin Air is his second, about a failed attempt of climbing Mt. Everest and his third book, well, I'm not sure you'll enjoy. It's call "Under the Banner of Heaven." It is a bit of a treaty about how people take religion and use it to their own ends--and how one man bent the rules when his brother's wife wouldn't be 'fundamentally Mormon."

It's a bit disturbing; almost on the True Crime genre.

What else did you read this summer?

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    First off, as a teacher, I commend you on ACTUALLY reading one those books recommended over the summer.
    Oh my gosh, Roo, not only did he read it, he thought about it!

I'm a teacher too, btw, but I haven't read this one yet. I also want to know, what else is on your list for the summer?
    A signature should go here.

• white and nerdy

I too, like Roo, have read all of Jon Krakauer's books and find them all very interesting and entertaining.

As far as "Into the Wild" goes, I find that it, and McCandless, provides a blank template for anyone to push their own ideals on. I've had people say that the book supports everything from veganism to the military. I tried to read it with a blank slate mind and found it most enjoyable. To me, it's a story of pilgrims, not just McCandless though he does provide the template. People who are unsatisfied with what the world gave them so go looking for more... or less... or whatever. I found the most interesting part to be the recounting of the author's mountain climbing trips.

The movie was a hack job that dis-valued McCandless' experience and wrote it up to "daddy issues". The true genius behind the story is that there is never a clear reason McCandless does what he does. His parents aren't really bad, his life is pretty good, and there is no obvious reason he would pack up and leave. The movie erases this.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Man O Lantern

The McCandless family had more input into the movie than the book, by the way, so I found it interesting that the movie was harsher on them than the book.

My 13 year old daughter and my husband just read Into the Wild. I haven't read it in a few years, but I enjoyed it so much. I love John Krakauer books. They make you think!

I think Chris McCandless could have done anything with his life and he would have accomplished so many things had he lived. It's easy to think he was spoiled, or too idealistic, or naive, or preachy or or or. But he was so young. He still had a whole life to live and I'm sure he would have made a huge mark on the world. He was just that sort of person--smart, principled, dynamic, and with a chip on his shoulder.

I want more people to read the book! After I read it, I just wanted to talk about it. Finally when the movie came out, I could talk to people about it! My husband and daughter talked about it for days after they finished it--they loved it. And now I want to read it again!

• Higitus Figitus

Wink Re: Into the Wild- What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Oh my gosh, Roo, not only did he read it, he thought about it!

I'm a teacher too, btw, but I haven't read this one yet. I also want to know, what else is on your list for the summer?
    im also required to read Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence. I'm about halfway through it right now, and i really like it! it kinda reminds me of some of my favorite movies like Gangs of New York or Titanic. I didn't think it'd be too good(especially because everytime id bring it somewhere to read, some adult would always say "ugh... not the lightest book"), but goes to show you that you cannot judge a book by its cover!
    usually i'm not a big fan of the books i have to read for school- but so far this year has been great!
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”