• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

My book club read this interesting book. It is set in the future and takes place in WDW. The main character is out to save the Haunted Mansion from a group who want to take it over and "improve" it. Scroll down and read the synopsis from Publishers Weekly.

Publishers Weekly

A lot of ideas are packed into this short novel, but Doctorow's own best idea was setting his story in Disney World, where it's hard to tell whether technology serves dreams or vice versa. Jules, a relative youngster at more than a century old, is a contented citizen of the Bitchun Society that has filled Earth and near-space since shortage and death were overcome. People are free to do whatever they wish, since the only wealth is respect and since constant internal interface lets all monitor exactly how successful they are at being liked. What Jules wants to do is move to Disney World, join the ad-hoc crew that runs the park and fine-tune the Haunted Mansion ride to make it even more wonderful. When his prudently stored consciousness abruptly awakens in a cloned body, he learns that he was murdered; evidently he's in the way of somebody else's dreams. Jules first suspects, then becomes viciously obsessed by, the innovative group that has turned the Hall of Presidents into a virtual experience. In the conflict that follows, he loses his lover, his job, his respect-even his interface connection-but gains perspective that the other Bitchun citizens lack. Jules's narrative unfolds so smoothly that readers may forget that all this raging passion is over amusement park rides. Then they can ask what that shows about the novel's supposedly mature, liberated characters. Doctorow has served up a nicely understated dish: meringue laced with caffeine. (Feb. 14) Forecast: A blurb from Bruce Sterling, plus the author's connections in the cyber world (he co-founded the Internet search-engine company OpenCola.com), should give this one a lift. Doctorow was the winner of the 2000 John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer. Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information.

Me again...It was a fun book to read. I am the only Disney fan in my group (though one friend did help design the Toy Story Mania ride) and that ruled my perspective on the story. They saw it as a comment on the things we value and what the world would be like without the need for cash and what do you do in life if you don't die. Check it out if you can. You can actually read the entire book online for free. The author is into that sort of thing.

• white and nerdy

Re: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

It's a very fun read and a very clever take on sci-fi. The characterization was so strong I found myself emoting right along with the main character as the secondary characters did their thing.

I found it to be a story about passion and what one is willing to give up in order to pursue it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow! Thank you, I always enjoy finding books that entail some facet of Disney, especially in Fiction.

I will read this one Nancy, you're awesome!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

The book is very well-written, but was a bit more complicated for my tastes. I look at this way, I was destinied not to like it, for I'm not nor ever have been, a fan of science fiction.

However, I am a fan of Disney stuff, so that's what brought me to the title. It also is extremely imaginative, something you don't see when handling such a beloved icon.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Wow! Thank you, I always enjoy finding books that entail some facet of Disney, especially in Fiction.

I will read this one Nancy, you're awesome!
    I enjoy finding Disney books, too Summer. Have you read The Mystery at Disney World by Carole Marsh? It is a series of mysteries that place in well know spots across the country. It's a kid's book, but still fun to read.

• Seasick

I read this book back when the author first made it available for free, it wasn't even available to buy that that point I don't think.

It was good and I think many Disney fans would enjoy it.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I liked it, too. It kind of disturbed me to think about various groups taking over certain areas of the park to do what they wanted- could we, MiceChat, go in and take over the HM's operations? It's very sci-fi, and a tad busy for such a little book, but it has some interesting insights that are definitely worth checking out.
    A signature should go here.

• For a new Gotham!

OOh This sounds like fun. I hope my library has it.