Blog Entries

Thumbs up Dolly Parton Concert Review - Greek Theater 8/3/08

Sorry, no cameras allowed! I followed the rules so there are no pics for this report.

Last night a friend and I attended the Dolly Parton Backwoods Barbie Concert at The Greek Theater in Los Angeles. It was an AMAZING show! I am not really a big country fan but I have loved Dolly since I was a little girl and was so happy to see this great performer live. She is truly an entertainer, telling jokes and stories between songs and providing an overall great show experience. It was a great night and the Greek is a lovely venue. She sang a lot of songs from her new album, but mixed it in with old standards such as Jolene, Here You Come Again (my favorite), Islands in the Stream, 9 to 5, I Will Always Love you and Coat of Many Colors. I am guessing she is in her late 60s and boy, does she move when she sings! She is in great shape and keeps up with the best of them. She also sounds wonderful live and plays a variety of instruments.

The crowd was a random mix of a lot of fun people. We met a lot of different fans including this hilarious couple of guys that took a bunch of pictures with us in the Dolly tanks we had bought. Speaking of merchandise, I never buy anything like that at concerts, theme parks, etc. but I felt compelled to buy this really cute tanktop last night. I will try to post a picture when I get home. They had quite a few cute things.

So I think I can check another thing off my list, seeing a legend in concert. If you ever have the opportunity, go see her!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Dolly Parton Concert Review - Greek Theater 8/3/08

I have had the opportunity, and could not agree more about what a great songwriter, showperson and singer she is.

And I've been to several shows at the Greek - it's one of my favorite venues and I can see how you must have had a wonderful time.

I've had the chance to see Dolly, Johnny Cash, Waylon, Merle and many others... and no one puts on a better show. in her own way, than she does.

(I admit I do like country music. But you're right, Dolly's appeal spans many genres of music.)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Great report.

I saw Kenny Rogers (another "Country" singer who crosses that line that anybody can enjoy him) at the Antelope Valley Fair about 16 or so years ago. It was an absolutely AMAZING show. Dolly came out and sang with him and the crowd went wild.

Blog Entries

I am so jealous you got to hear both of them together! I ws really hoping he might pop out for a duet of "Islands in the Stream" but he didn't, her backup singer was a pretty good substitute though.