Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    The girl at the park that Jacob is trying so desperately to imprint on, likes his car, asks if he stole it....
    Oh yes! okay haha.
    But.. how is she at all like Wanda?
    ------

'Breaking Dawn' Exclusive: 'Twilight' Author Stephenie Meyer Reacts To Harsh Reader Complaints -- 'It Hurts''You see the punch coming; that doesn't mean it's not gonna hurt when it hits,' Meyer says.

Last Saturday afternoon, less than a day after "Breaking Dawn," the conclusion of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" series, hit shelves, the Internet grumblings began. Of course, many readers were still eagerly drinking up the saga of Edward and Bella. But one fast reader expressed her disappointment in the book by launching a discussion on Amazon.com urging fellow disgruntled fans, "Don't burn your copies of the book RETURN THEM."

(SPOILER ALERT, though we'll try to keep them vague for all you slowpokes.) And judging by the heated back-and-forth that followed, there are plenty of other Twilighters complaining about what is or isn't in the book: the lack of more explicit sex scenes, the excessive amount of sex scenes, the implausibility of Bella's pregnancy, the pace of the story, the lack of a big battle scene, the whole Jacob section, and on and on. One blogger told Entertainment Weekly that the story "didn't seem to fit the world that I thought Stephenie Meyer created." So how does the author feel about this venomous reaction to the novel that sold 1.3 million copies in its first day?

"You see the punch coming; that doesn't mean it's not gonna hurt when it hits," Meyer told MTV News on Thursday. "There's no way to make everybody happy. When I do one thing that a lot of people want, there's always the opposite reaction.

"But how can you possibly meet up with the expectations that this book had?" she asked. "It just got so built up. There is no book in the world that could stand up to that. So I knew it was going to happen, but at the same time it hurts."

Of course, members of Team Jacob can't be too thrilled from the very start of the book. But Meyer won't pander to their preference for Bella's hot-blooded werewolf pal.

"If they really love the characters, then I would hope that this would make sense to them, because these are the true characters," she explained. "This is the story the way it was always meant to be."

And other readers are giving Meyer grief about the fact that Bella does get a "happily ever after" without having to make any major sacrifices.

"I think she worked for it pretty hard," Meyer countered. "It doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes you make a decision about what you want and you pay for it and you suffer for it and it doesn't work out. Those types of stories always leave me horribly depressed. I'm not going to live in a world for a year at a time where that's going to be the ending. If people wanted a really depressing, tragic ending, I gave them a lot of hints that it wasn't going to be that way. They really shouldn't have been surprised!"

And though Meyer knew the complaints would come, she was surprised by what some of them were about. One minor quibble seems to be the awkward name of Bella and Edward's daughter, Renesmee.

"I should have known that people would feel that way," she laughed when we read aloud one comment about Bella's hybrid of Renee and Esme. "The name has been real to me for so long now that I've forgotten how unusual it would sound to everyone else."

Meyer did seem taken aback by the "don't burn it, return it" threats. "I've read a lot of books that I didn't like very much, and that thought never occurred to me, because I had read them! I hadn't heard of [doing] that before. That's not fun to hear."

But Meyer holds out hope that "Breaking Dawn" detractors will eventually see her side of things. "I hope that if they really do enjoy the other books, they'll realize that this is kind of where it was supposed to go."

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <3WillTurner View Post
    Oh yes! okay haha.
    But.. how is she at all like Wanda?
    ------
    Quasi-Host Spoilery:
    Spoiler
    Wanda once she got put into the other body? The giggle/jokey nature, the curly blonde hair, pale, I think freckles were even part of it... I read it and was like "that's Wanda!" The character description, the whole physical description... Or at least how I took it.

In terms of people being butt hurt:
    IT'S FICTION! IT'S FLUFF! It's escapism from our lives.

I hate it when people are so anti-a book that all they do is complain. Sure there were things in the book that I didn't love, but I wasn't the author of this series. She had plans in her head and didn't let her fans dictate or change them. Dude I'm glad there wasn't a whole lot of graphic sex in the book. That bugs when you read a book and it's essentially erotica when you signed on to read a chick-lit. Especially in this case where Edward is in a 17 year olds body. Ew! For someone of my age, ew! And Meyers created this world, she made the rules. Suspend your disbelief! Bella didn't lose a lot, um... only her mortality, the parts that make her human and who she is...

I mulled over the ending, along with the whole series and the ending works. The battle was just as big if not bigger than the 1st book. It could've been a lot worse.

I have a lot more thoughts on this "argh!!!! High stress over a book!" subject. My sis graduated with a degree in english, so we've had lots of debates on fiction and non along with reading in general all with me saying "It's fiction! The first and last letters are the same as fun! It's supposed to be!"

I do think Stephenie Meyers is adorable though! Sorry babbly.
    Last edited by knittingknerd; 08-10-2008 at 05:14 PM.

• Directly directed

I hate it when people are so anti-a book that all they do is complain. Sure there were things in the book that I didn't love, but I wasn't the author of this series. She had plans in her head and didn't let her fans dictate or change them. Dude I'm glad there wasn't a whole lot of graphic sex in the book. That bugs when you read a book and it's essentially erotica when you signed on to read a chick-lit. Especially in this case where Edward is in a 17 year olds body. Ew! For someone of my age, ew! And Meyers created this world, she made the rules. Suspend your disbelief! Bella didn't lose a lot, um... only her mortality, the parts that make her human and who she is...

I mulled over the ending, along with the whole series and the ending works. The battle was just as big if not bigger than the 1st book. It could've been a lot worse.

I have a lot more thoughts on this "argh!!!! High stress over a book!" subject. My sis graduated with a degree in english, so we've had lots of debates on fiction and non along with reading in general all with me saying "It's fiction! The first and last letters are the same as fun! It's supposed to be!"

No, I think that's so well said! I do hate when a story doesn't go the way I want it too (like the 7th Harry Potter) but ultimately it's the author's story not mine, and they can tell it how they want.

Quasi-Host Spoilery:
    Spoiler
    Wanda once she got put into the other body? The giggle/jokey nature, the curly blonde hair, pale, I think freckles were even part of it... I read it and was like "that's Wanda!" The character description, the whole physical description... Or at least how I took it.

ahhhhh I see. Do you think she did that subconsciously or purposefully?
    ---
    I agree! Very well put. It drives me bonkers when people hound an authour for not letting his or her fan base sway the destination of their series. In the beginning, they usually have that set idea as to what is going to happen.

Frankly, it's intrusive and rude to be so hurtful to someone that is sharing their art with you. The art they're worked on with dedication and for the love of doing it.

I'm never known a good authour to have a sense of obligation when writing a series or even a single book. They do it because they want to. It'd be nice to get appreciation and not whines, moans and groans because it didn't sway to your satisfaction.

Of course there is always criticism to be expected. But from the harsh comments I've seen and the rude fan mail Stephenie has commented on, it's pushing it way too far. It makes me sick to my stomach when people act so rashly and unthinkingly.

• Rather Be At Disneyland

I think Stephenie wrote a book that was very fan pleasing. She didn't go the route of J.K. Rowling and kill off half of the beloved characters. She very easily could have had the Volturi kill Edward and Bella, in the style of the Romeo and Juliet tragic lovers that they are so much like. She had that route all set up, Renesmee would have been safe with Jacob, but she kept it as a happy ending.

Can you imagine how many fans would have been outraged had any of the Cullens or Jacob had been killed? I know probably would have cried like I did at the last 3 Harry Potter books!

I have a few minor issues with how the plot worked out, but overall I loved it. I think it's really presumptuous of people to attack an author like some people have. It's Stephenie's book, and she can write it how she wants. If you don't like it, go write some Fan Fiction for how you want it to be. That's just my opinion.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Dear Stephaine Meyers,

If you write a fluff peiece thatreally has no meat to it, don't expect your readers to be happy once it's all over...and please don't cry...

Krystle

It, meaning this book, sounds like a salad, tastes good at first but doesn't fill you up, then when you start to digest it...well, you realize maybe it wasn't so good after all. I think i'll stick to my main course books, fills you up, leaves you wanting more and it digests just fine, nutrients and all.

I thought there was a lot of "meat" in this book. We got Bella and Edwards wedding and honeymoon, a crazy mystery birth, and the danger of the Volturi. I was guessing through the entire book, and there was the suspense when I thought Bella and Edward might die and Renesmee escapes to live on with Jacob. Sure, it was fluffy, but I guess I like fluff. It wasn't earth moving amazing, but I liked it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    Dear Stephaine Meyers,

If you write a fluff peiece thatreally has no meat to it, don't expect your readers to be happy once it's all over...and please don't cry...

Krystle

It, meaning this book, sounds like a salad, tastes good at first but doesn't fill you up, then when you start to digest it...well, you realize maybe it wasn't so good after all. I think i'll stick to my main course books, fills you up, leaves you wanting more and it digests just fine, nutrients and all.
    (Krystle don't hate me....)
    Who says fluff is bad? Sure there are times when you want something thick and meaty, but there are times when you want light and fluffy, in fiction and in food. Sometimes you don't want the steak, sometimes you want to go home get the mixer out and eat butter/sugar (like the first steps of cookie making, where you cream the butter and sugar together), straight out of the mixer. Same with reading I think. There are some days when you want to read the thick meaty steak like novel (and steak is hard to digest in your tummy... same with some books) and then there are those bad days when you want to read the equiviolent of creamed sugar/butter, and that's where this book fits, or this series fits.

I dig fluff. I'll admit it. The bad chick-lit (not romance novels, but bad chick lit), is my sugar/butter. Nursing (and CNA-ing) is stressful and fluff keeps me sane. I don't like to see the dark side of humanity too much, so my entertainment is like chick lit, Radio Disney, the CW... all light and fluffy.

Krystle-Jacob is good in this. You'll like him.

Once again sorry for the babble... lots of thoughts on fluff lit.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRoyalty View Post
    I thought there was a lot of "meat" in this book. We got Bella and Edwards wedding and honeymoon, a crazy mystery birth, and the danger of the Volturi. I was guessing through the entire book, and there was the suspense when I thought Bella and Edward might die and Renesmee escapes to live on with Jacob. Sure, it was fluffy, but I guess I like fluff. It wasn't earth moving amazing, but I liked it.
    I agree. I think some people's definition of meat varies from the other.

(Krystle don't hate me....)
    Who says fluff is bad? Sure there are times when you want something thick and meaty, but there are times when you want light and fluffy, in fiction and in food. Sometimes you don't want the steak, sometimes you want to go home get the mixer out and eat butter/sugar (like the first steps of cookie making, where you cream the butter and sugar together), straight out of the mixer. Same with reading I think. There are some days when you want to read the thick meaty steak like novel (and steak is hard to digest in your tummy... same with some books) and then there are those bad days when you want to read the equiviolent of creamed sugar/butter, and that's where this book fits, or this series fits.

I dig fluff. I'll admit it. The bad chick-lit (not romance novels, but bad chick lit), is my sugar/butter. Nursing (and CNA-ing) is stressful and fluff keeps me sane. I don't like to see the dark side of humanity too much, so my entertainment is like chick lit, Radio Disney, the CW... all light and fluffy.

Krystle-Jacob is good in this. You'll like him.

Once again sorry for the babble... lots of thoughts on fluff lit.
    I enjoy fluff as well. It's still a book to digest, you can even learn something from them. Like new words to increase your vocabulary. No matter what you read, whether it's thick and meaty or thin and fluffy, you still get something out of it.

I don't enjoy meaty books all the time. But I don't bash them. Or their authour's.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <3WillTurner View Post
    I enjoy fluff as well. It's still a book to digest, you can even learn something from them. Like new words to increase your vocabulary. No matter what you read, whether it's thick and meaty or thin and fluffy, you still get something out of it.

I don't enjoy meaty books all the time. But I don't bash them. Or their authour's.
    And meaty books have their time and place. And going in you know "Stephenie Meyers writes teen sci-fi fluff and it's yummy. She likes happy endings" so don't get all tush hurt when it is fluffy and has a happy ending.

• I'm Baaaack!

i agree
    i like fluff, it adds more to the plot
    i was in suspence throughout the entire story
    and like how it ended. i was glad no one died! i was worried she would have edward and/or bella die, and what would happen to the one that lived?

i was really surprised about the amout of people who didnt like it!
    i personally <33 it and plan to re-read it again (once i finish re-reading all the other books )
    ^Click them or they will die^

And meaty books have their time and place. And going in you know "Stephenie Meyers writes teen sci-fi fluff and it's yummy. She likes happy endings" so don't get all tush hurt when it is fluffy and has a happy ending.
    Exactly!
    I went in knowing it was fluff, but that didn't dull the allure and taste for the rest after reading the first

Quote Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
    i agree
    i like fluff, it adds more to the plot
    i was in suspence throughout the entire story
    and like how it ended. i was glad no one died! i was worried she would have edward and/or bella die, and what would happen to the one that lived?

i was really surprised about the amout of people who didnt like it!
    i personally <33 it and plan to re-read it again (once i finish re-reading all the other books )
    I'm happy nobody died either
    ---
    As was I. But in a way I can understand. People just get a certain view of how things should go. And when they don't work as they wanted it to, they vent on the person they expected to bend to their desires.

If everyone was 100% happy with the way any book is written, there would be no such thing as fan-fiction (unless it's just for fun to test new waters). Or role-play on a great majority of fan sites.

It's a Teen Romance novel.. what did people really expect? Death and destruction? Anyone who payed attention in the previous books would know that fluff is Stephenie's style! It was just as fluffy as I expected it to be. I liked it better the second time I read it, I was able to slow down (because I speed though books to see what happens next) and appreciate all the things I liked about it.

Same here. After reading it the second time I could read slower and appreciate the details and unique style she included.

I'm a day late, but here's Twilight Tuesday!

Stephenie Meyer Answers Your Burning 'Breaking Dawn' Questions
    Author opens up about vampire-human anatomy, torturing her characters and what's next for the Cullens.

No doubt, many devoted Twilighters are already well into their third read of "Breaking Dawn," now that it's been out for a full week and a half. But no matter how many times you delve into the final installment of the "Twilight" series, there are burning questions left to be answered.

Stephenie Meyer couldn't reveal much when we spoke to her before the book's release, so we cornered her one more time and hit her with the queries you submitted in the MTV Movies Blog.

(Just in case you've been locked in a subterranean hideout, far from any bookstores, SPOILER ALERT!)

Though she's been enduring complaints about "Breaking Dawn" from a very vocal minority, the author said she was relieved to be able to talk about the novel after keeping it a secret for so long. Here, she opens up about the technicalities of Bella's pregnancy, the original "Forever Dawn" version of the story, the future of the "Twilight" universe and more. (Meyer reveals her suggestion for two "Dawn" movies in the MTV Movies blog.)

Question: Bella feels hesitant about marrying Edward. Is that how you felt when you were proposed to? KhmaixLinda

Stephenie Meyer: Actually, I was engaged more than once. I had my runaway-bride moment. Maybe there was some of that, although it's really different, because it wasn't the right person [for me] to marry. With Bella, there's no question in her mind that she's going to end up with Edward. It's all about people's perceptions, which is a really silly thing for her to worry about. ... I knew she was going to be with Edward. I wrote this story before I wrote "New Moon" and "Eclipse," and that relationship [with Jacob] actually went a lot farther than I thought it would.

Question: How was Bella's pregnancy possible? Deep

Meyer: One of the longest things about this last year is that I've been reading all these quotes that people have been attributing to me that I never said. I had a rough draft of [this story] by the beginning of 2004, so before I ever did a tour or answered any questions or did an interview, I knew where the story was going. ... When people said, "Hey, can vampires have babies?" I always said no, because female vampires don't change at all, and it takes a lot of change for your body to accommodate a fetus, so it's not possible. But I never said anything about the part that I knew was coming. ... It is true ... there's a whole chromosomal-count difference, but venom works a lot of different ways, so for me, it always worked just fine.

Question: Why did you decide to switch to Jacob's point of view during Bella's pregnancy and delivery, instead of Bella telling us herself? Sam

Meyer: In the first rough draft, it was Bella throughout the entire story. There's this section of the story where Bella's pretty much stuck on a couch and is not part of anything that's going on, and she's just hearing about it from the outside, and it's boring! ... So when I went back to do this, I realized that where the action was, was something we can only get through the first-person perspective of Jacob. And once I made that decision, I was really glad I had, because that was the most fun section to write out of the whole story.

Question: Why did you portray pregnancy in the light you did? Was there a meaning behind that, or did you do it for storytelling's sake? Chrissy

Meyer: A story has to have an element of danger and hazard. If there isn't a risk, if there isn't something that goes wrong, there's no story. But no, the pregnancy wasn't a punishment. When you're writing characters, one of the things you do to make it interesting is you push them past their limits, and that's when the story gets exciting. Sadly, it's kind of fun to torture your characters.

Question: Why was Bella so controlled as a newborn? Natasha

Meyer: Bella's really the only vampire who went into it knowing what to expect, being mentally prepared and on guard for her reactions. And she's a naturally stubborn person, which helps when you make up your mind to do something.

Question: You said once you read "Breaking Dawn," you'll understand the cover of the book. So does it represent Bella and Nessie? Chrissy

Meyer: No, it represents Bella and Bella. ... Bella starts out as the weakest player on the board, and she ends up as the one who decides the outcome of the story. She becomes the most powerful player, and I really liked that metaphor. I liked seeing her evolution in one picture.

Question: Why did you decide not to have a battle scene? The Cullens seemed like they had a good chance of winning, didn't they? Butane

Meyer: They had a good chance of holding their own, not winning. There wouldn't have been a lot of people walking away from that. And because I'm kind of a happy-ending girl, I didn't want the "Hamlet" ending, where everyone's dead on the floor, and one person's standing there giving their monologue about what they've learned. I wanted it to be something that could be won, so I set it up to be a mental game.

Question: Are you thinking of writing a novel in Renesmee's perspective when she's older? froggyoggy

Meyer: If I were to go ahead with the Cullen universe and honestly, I'll do it for myself, whether I publish it or not is questionable at this point but the narrators that I would go ahead with ... would be Renesmee and Leah. Leah's the other one whose story doesn't seem resolved to me at this point.

Question: Would you please, please, please tell me who Embry's father is? kateurie

Meyer: The problem with that question is and this sounds like something crazy people would say but I don't know. My characters don't always tell me everything.

Question: If Nessie's not able to have children on her own ...

Meyer: [Interrupts the question.] Here we're going off way into the future. For all intents and purposes, "Breaking Dawn" is the last book. It might easily happen that I quit here. There'd be a lot of good reasons for doing that, so I don't know if we need to get into all the future possibilities and speculations, 'cause I'll just go crazy, and I'm so close already!

Question: Will "Midnight Sun" be all four "Twilight" books told in one? Or will it be the first of several Edward books? Ashley

Meyer: Option three it will be a standalone retelling of "Twilight." And I've gotten the comments: "Please, please, please, please, please, do all the books." In reality, "New Moon" would be horrible from Edward's perspective. And I really feel like after people have "Midnight Sun," with a very little amount of effort, they'll be able to understand him for all of the books.

Question: Why were the last two pages of "Breaking Dawn" your favorite Edward/Bella moment? edwardsheroine

Meyer: This is the moment, after all of these years, that Edward really gets to understand how Bella feels about him, and they're finally, truly seeing eye-to-eye for just that moment. For me, it was like four books of buildup for this moment, and it was great.

Video URL:
    http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1592581&vid=265349

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12