Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Phantom' sequel

Additional Workshops of Lloyd Webber's
    Phantom Sequel Set for the Fall

By Mark Shenton
    Playbill
    08 Sep 2008

Andrew Lloyd Webber
    photo by Aubrey Reuben
    "Everyone is going to call it Phantom 2, whether we like it or not," says Andrew Lloyd Webber about the new musical he is currently in the midst of writing, Phantom: Once Upon Another Time.

Lloyd Webber told Playbill.com that he is proceeding cautiously and won't decide whether to go forward with a full production until January 2009.

"I have learned very definitely over the last few years that you have to be very sure before you go forward," Lloyd Webber stated, noting that he has abandoned plans to bring the Bulgakov novel "The Master and Margarita" to the stage for precisely that reason: "I couldn't really find anybody who saw in it what I saw in it." Admitting that there were problems with the plot – "the end of it is very confused" – he revealed, "I got myself into that problem with The Woman in White. We had a terrific first act, but actually today, and it was something I had underestimated, there's no secret you can even remotely put on a stage today that a modern audience can find shocking. It was a novel about a faked birth certificate – and people said, 'So what?' That was our mistake – if ever I revisited the piece, we would have to stop at the point where it is revealed that the sisters are swapped in the asylum. So I don't want to make that mistake again, and what I'm going to do is workshop [the new Phantom] and workshop it to the nth degree."

The first act was workshopped earlier this summer at Lloyd Webber's private Sydmonton Festival at his Berkshire country home. "We've already done the first act," Lloyd Webber explained, "and rather like The Woman in White, where the first act worked wonderfully, what we cannot do is presume that the second act is going to as well." Working with director Jack O'Brien, who staged the Sydmonton workshop, and lyricist Glenn Slater, he is now writing the rest of the show, and when they have completed the work, "we are going to do a workshop of the second act, then take a month off and do it again with both halves this time and then we'll see."

Those workshops are currently planned for October and December. "I won't push the button on it till we've done both those workshops. Whether we finally go ahead we will decide in the first week of the New Year. I don't want to let this one out unless we're pretty sure that the basic material is as good as we can get it."

Why a sequel? "Because it's a very, very good story," he says, but adds, "Actually, sequel is slightly the wrong word for it – it is a development of the whole thing. It doesn't go over any of the old ground of the original, and there is no music at all from the original other than one or two little quotes in the orchestrations, which are there for color." An entirely new story has been created, he reveals, by himself, O'Brien and Slater – "and a twist of it was given to us by Ben Elton."
    Playbill: Broadway, Off-Broadway, London News, Listings and Tickets
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Phantom' sequel

Kill me now.

Even Broadway is resorting to sequels.

You know what? I saw Phantom and was not very impressed despite the mega hype. When it was done I was like, "That's it?"

• Senior Minion

Will this premiere in London or on Broadway?

And the mention of Ben Elton gets me a little worried. His work in musical theatre so far has been the forgettable The Beautiful Game with ALW and writing the bizarre script for we Will Rock You.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

I like Andrew Lloyd Webber. But, I think this whole Phantom Sequel is way out of hand. It's going to be the biggest flop in Broad...Uh I mean, West End history. Before he comes up with this stupid Phantom sequel, he just come up a musical or operetta called Master and Margarita. This one is based on a Russian novel. Here's the link:The Master and Margarita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But he changed his mind. If he wants his success back. Then I think he needs a little more inspiration and pick some of the novels that aren't epic, history that are remembered or forgotten, or based on a classic movie. What do you think he should do to make a great comeback?

• Banned User

Cringe! A Phantom sequel? I am SO not liking the sound of this. Even if it IS Andrew Lloyd Webber doing it.

• Senior Minion

Please ALW, let's not ruin a good thing by making a sequel. Nothing can top Phantom's success so why even try???
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Remember that although it may seem a sign of the times, this is not the first stage sequel to a stage musical. Anyone remember Annie Warbucks? Thought not...
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Ravenclaw

Actually I liked the Master and Margarita. I think it would make a great musical, provided Andrew Lloyd Webber stays far, far away.

--nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Remember that although it may seem a sign of the times, this is not the first stage sequel to a stage musical. Anyone remember Annie Warbucks? Thought not...
    I heard of it and read the synopsis of it, but I haven't seen that production or the first production of Annie.

Anyway, I think he should of done Master and Margarita. I read the novel and I thought it was a splendid idea. It will be a mixture of Cats and Jesus Christ Superstar. It will be a good mixture for Master and Margarita. Andrew should of just pick his collaborators. He should of give David Zippel another chance. Or he can choose the great Tim Rice. Or maybe Charles Hart, Richard Stilgoe, Ben Elton, Don Black, or Jim Steinman.
    Last edited by TsWade2; 09-13-2008 at 09:30 PM.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I love Phantom, but I don't think I would see this new sequel. How many times can you go to the same cash cow?

As much as we complain that we hate sequals we sure run out and give our money to them.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I love Phantom, but I don't think I would see this new sequel. How many times can you go to the same cash cow?
    Maybe ALW has been talking to George Lucas.
    Next up for ALW? How about The Woman in White:The Animated Series? Or Whistle Down the Wind: The Video Game?
    Unless this is a steaming pile of poop, it will make money. So who can blame them? Remember the second part of the word 'showbusiness'!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

What's next? Cats 2: A Trip to the Vet?

• would love some pie

^More like Cats 2: Where Nothing Happens... Again!
    KABLAM!