• Circle of Ancients

I honestly hate these kinds of lists. Because you will, inevitably find something to complain about. I'm not going to post the whole list, just the Top 10. And even in this top 10, I have at least 1 issue.

But it's not who is number 1, as I totally agree.

The Top 10:

10: James Brown
    9: Stevie Wonder
    8: Otis Redding
    7: Bob Dylan
    6: Marvin Gaye
    5: John Lennon
    4: Sam Cooke
    3: Elvis Presley
    2: Ray Charles
    1: Aretha Franklin

Okay, so my complaint. John Lennon. I love Lennon. I love The Beatles. But as an actual "Singer"??? SINGS better than Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye??? I don't even think Lennon would be in my top 50 as a stand-alone singer.

Honestly, Aretha, Ray, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding and Stevie Wonder ALL deserve to be in the top 10. No question. No if's, and's or but's. They are probably the top 6 all by themselves. It's almost like (and you may hate me for saying this) but Rolling Stone felt they had to throw in some white guys in the top 10. Because I can think of people in the 11-20 list that would be in my Top 10.

Little Richard, Roy Orbison, Freddie Mercury, Tina Turner. All are Top 10 material, EASY.

Some of the other 11-20 people I have issue with.

Example, Paul McCartney is number 11. Over TINA TURNER!!! Are you kidding me!!!! Mick Jagger is number 16. Again I say, over TINA TURNER!!!! Give me a break.

Hey, at least Mariah Carey isn't in the top 10. You won't find her until number 79. And you know what, I have to say, THAT may even be too low. It's not cool to like Mariah anymore I guess.

One more travesty. Gladys Knight. Number 51. Patsy Cline. Number 46. REALLY??? Below people like Kurt Cobain, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen.

Get your head out of your butt Rolling Stone.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Rolling Stone - Top 100 Singers of all time

Rolling Stone has it's head up it's butt quite often. Sometimes with the music articles too.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries
    If this was for all singers, all-time, regardless of genre...

Well, let's just say that Nat "King" Cole, my all-time favorite, could sing circles around some of those people, as great as they are.

And where's, oh, that Sinatra bum? Guess he couldn't sing better than, uh, Bob Dylan? Just to name a few.

I love Dylan's work and recognize his importance but as a singer? C'mon now...

-- Barry

ADD EDIT: As I should have guessed, the list pertains to "rock" singers.
    Oh well. Pardon my rant. And Gregg,you are absolutely spot-on regarding Aretha as number one.

-- Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 11-14-2008 at 12:09 AM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    But it's not who is number 1, as I totally agree.

Little Richard, Roy Orbison, Freddie Mercury, Tina Turner. All are Top 10 material, EASY.
    I coulod not agree with you more. I'm a big Orbison fan (listen to his version of Blue Bayou, from the 50's...Linda Ronstadt covered it in the late 70's...).

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Happy Memories

They seem to be unsure of the parameters for their list. Is it the top SINGERS, as in vocal ability? If so, then I wholeheartedly agree that the order seems a bit off. However some of them seem to be ranked higher because of their showmanship, song writing, etc. In my opinion, that should be a seperate list.

Looking just at the top 10 you posted, if we're looking for the best pure singers, I'd bump at least 3 of those people, as great as they are, in favor of better SINGERS.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I agree. They need to define the parameters of the list better. Yes, the list is Top 100 singers of the "Rock" era (whatever the heck that means). And it's obvious some were chosen for more than just their "singing" ability. Well then it should be Top 100 Singer/Songwriters. In that case, Aretha probably wouldn't be #1.

But the list is Top 100 SINGERS.