Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Exclamation Batman/Bruce Wayne - RIP - Spoilers ahead

Well since I work at a comic shop and the Diamond Catalog for December comics which will ship in Feb 2009 is out. The following has a lot of spoilers so I am placing a spoiler box around the test below in case you do not want to know what's coming next February.

Spoiler
    The latest issue of Batman (#681 key issue to what's coming) came out this Wednesday and it is the conclusion of Batman: Rest In Peace. And yes Bruce Wayne is dead. Gone. Finished. It's is not made plain at the end who will take his place, Dick Grayson/Nightwing or Tim Drake/Robin. Nightwing is the one pictured at the end. But the December Previews from Diamond is soliciting comics for Feb 2009 and the following has been released.

The Nightwing and Robin issues in Feb 2009 are the final issues of those comics. They are dropping hints only saying that the final issue does not mean the end of Nightwing/Robin but the beginning of something new.

Batman and Detective Comics will continue. The cover of Batman #686 shows a funeral like procession but upon closer examination, it is all his main villians and they are all walking into a Gotham City Building. They are looking at something on the ground as they walk. Cats. It is titled "Whatever Happened to the Capped Crusader?" by Neil Gaimen and art by Andy Kubert and is part 1 (Part 2 will be out the same month in Detective Comics #853) The write up for these comics indicate that Neil Gaimen will leave no stone unturned when he takes up that task of telling Bruce Wayne's life, friendships, connections and takes us to an exiting and unexpected climax. The cover illustrations are very onimus looking.

The final issue of Nightwing shows him jumping through the air surrounded by bats. It says the Mantle of the Bat must now be passes and Dick Grayson as Robin fought beside the Batman but who the Mantle passes too will be decided by Bruce Wayne's last wishes. Will this be the last time we will see Nightwing?

The final issue of Robin has a very angry, distraught, upset, kneeling Robin with a ghost-like image of Batman behind him. He is on a rooftop in an incredible picture. It says; is Tim Drake ready to take on the mantle of Batman and defend Gotham City". "Guest Staring Jason Todd and Lady Siva this is not the end of Robin but a new beginning".

Nothing is mentioned in any of the Titans books about Robin leaving, so far.

As a side note the following DC Comics will also have their final issues this February but none are because of Batman. Blue Beetle and Birds of Prey.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 11-27-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling and add spoiler box
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Animation Domination

Re: Batman/Bruce Wayne - RIP - Spoilers ahead

DC Comics is trying to do the same thing Marvel did with Captain America. Bucky recently became the new Captain America. Super heroes never stay dead. Does anyone remember the Death of Superman last decade? Batman will return sooner or later.

I think so too, but it makes for exiting reading and keeps the comics alive. But I think this one is going to be a little different that Cap. I read that comic as well and they are doing a great job with it. I have always like Bucky and am glad to see he is taking up the Shield. Batman and Captain America are my two favorite "Super" Heroes. I guess Cap really is because they pumped that Super Soldier drug into him, but Bucky and Bruce Wayne have no Super Powers. They got were they are threw hard work and training. Those are the real Heroes, like our Fireman and Policeman and Service people fighting for our freedom.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Shablagoo!

I'll believe Bruce Wayne is dead when I see the body. No body, no death.

The January 2009 Order Book came out yesterday. Batman Comics and Detective Comics are not being offered. Instead a series of mini series is coming out. Batman: Battle for the Cowl starring Nightwing, Robin, Jason Todd, Batgirl, Catwoman and others. Batman:Battle for the Cowl - Commissioner Gordon - The Dark Avenger is gone and Gotham City is going crazy with crime running rampant and commerce is at a standstill and gang warfare is on the rise. Gordon and his men will have to tray and stop Mr Freeze with no help from Batman. Gotham Gazzette: Batman Dead? Azrael: Death's Dark Knight. Oracle - 3 Part mini series in which Barbara Gordon, after having disbanded the Birds of Prey returns to Gotham to resume her role as Oracle and gets caught in the crossfire and pays the ultimate price.

No Robin comic and no Nightwing Comic. Also a new leader is chosen for Teen Titans.

Also over in the world of Superman, he is gone as well. A new Krypton is his new home and Superman and Action comics as we know them will cease (for the time being) and members of The Legion of Super Heroes will be protecting Metropolis. Other changes in the line of Superman books as well.

All these are a direct result of the end story line in Final Crisis. When they said Final Crisis was really going to shake up the DC Universe, I guess this time they meant it.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 12-26-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I'll believe Bruce Wayne is dead when I see the body. No body, no death.
    Sorta like soap operas right? He's not really dead until you see the cremation process?

This just reads gimmick to me.

Well, let's face it. Almost all the big splashy comic stories that involve anything that messes with the known universe for that comic company, are gimmicks. And I am sure that DC is not going to get rid of main characters like Superman or Batman who have been around for over 60 years now. But it is an interesting story line and one that will be interesting for a Superman or Batman fan to follow.

So far I had not been all that impressed with the "Final Crisis" storyline or the death of so many minor characters. However, this storyline is different and it will be interesting to see how long it takes before Superman comes back to Metropolis and how long Batman will remain "Dead". They did this once with The Death of Superman but that was a big flop as it was done soley to create a "Collectable" comic book, which a lot of people fell for. Lines around the block at comic stores to get a copy of the famous black bagged Death Issue only to have him come back within a couple of months. Now this highly sought after comic is so common you can't give them away and they were supposed to be worth a fortune in a few years. I think they learned a big lesson with that mistake.
    This one seems to be more a longer storyline involving the cancellation of two very successful book (Robin and Nightwing) and the suspension of two major titles (Batman and Detective) for who knows how long. As I get each months preview catalog I will keep everyone informed of what's coming without giving too much away if I can. I am looking forward to seeing how long they carry this along. I hope it's more than a couple of months.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Shablagoo!

In Final Crisis #7 Bruce Wayne is seen alive and well in prehistoric times. He'll be back one of these days.

I saw that yesterday when it came in. I thought he was over in Australia with that old Aboringine Shaman who passed and that Bruce was just staying out of the world for awhile, but you may be right. It was a very subjective drawing.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I saw that yesterday when it came in. I thought he was over in Australia with that old Aboringine Shaman who passed and that Bruce was just staying out of the world for awhile, but you may be right. It was a very subjective drawing.
    I will have to go re-check, but I think the Shaman was Anthro. He was also in the first issue of FC#1 and was the star of his own series years ago.

See I didn't pay any attention when Final Crisis started. I was just another title to "Change" the DCU and they have done that so many times and nothing really important ever happened. I knew something was going on in Batman with RIP storyline but I had no idea it was also going to be addressed in FC. My bad.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Iron-Clad Allie

The Bat will live to fight again. In the meantime, the comic will definitely pick up new interest. The enemy the caped crusader is actually this poor econmy. Holy gimicky measures, Batman ..a gimick that will have me buying the comics in order to follow the storyline again. Have know idea which Robin will assume the cowel. Hoping both Robins, Batgirl and Cat Woman will somehow join forces against Gothams villians and gangs.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Am I the only amused at the thread title here?

RIP and then Spoilers ahead?
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    Am I the only amused at the thread title here?

RIP and then Spoilers ahead?
    I thought the same thing. So much for warning about spoilers when you give it away in the title!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    I thought the same thing. So much for warning about spoilers when you give it away in the title!
    The storyline was called RIP. Of course he did not die in that storyline, he "died" later. Of course like I posted, he did not die, but was sent to another time and place. Everyone just thinks he is dead. That's what happens when a god decides to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast