• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Remembering John Lennon And the Day the 60's Died

If February 3, 1959 is "the day the music died", then I consider December 8, 1980 as "the day the 60's died".
    It felt like with the bullets from Mark David Chapman's gun, the dreams of a generation were shattered. You say you want a revolution? Well, John Lennon may not have wanted to change the world" , but he surely did.

Maybe you won't agree with that thought from my addled brain, but you'll have to admit that one of the great composers and musicians of our time was taken from us far too early.

I remember that I was working on a project in the radio-TV studios at Cal State Fullerton on that Monday night, and I had the Monday Night Football game on in the background. And like millions of others, I got the word from a stunned Howard Cosell.

I was doing an internship at the old KEZY Anaheim when it was a "kick *** rock and roll" station, with its studios on Ball Road at East Street next to the Ganahl Lumber yard.

I remember that everybody who worked there sort of migrated toward the station that night without being asked. We all just went to work...including the likes of the late Dave Foreman, and Rita Wilde, who has been the Program Director at KLOS for many years now. We lined up on-air interviews, made calls to New York, did research, and oh yeah...played Lennon and the Beatles.

A couple of days later, the station sponsored a vigil on the lawn outside...people came with candles and the like, and listened to "Beatles A to Z, as individuals and as a group.

I took part in that, and when I heard "All You Need Is Love", I cried like a baby.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Remembering John Lennon And the Day the 60's Died

I remember hearing Howard Cosell announce Lennon's death on TV. I was only 6 at the time, but I well knew who John Lennon was, so I was honestly shocked. About 6 years later, my uncle gave me a couple of his old Beatles albums and I never looked back.

I even have a John Lennon "Imagine" license plate on my car. No idea what he has to do with Florida, other than when he signed papers breaking up The Beatles, he was at a hotel in Florida.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

This was just a few months before I was born, but John has always been my favorite Beatle. His solo stuff always seemed to have more to it, and he had such great passion. I'll never forget buying my very first vinyl lp when i was 12. It was "Shaved Fish" It was a Lennon comp, and i bought it for Instant Karma. That song still amps me up for anything.

John Lennon also wrote what is my favorite Beatles song, and not to sound morbid, but would be a request at any sort of memorial at my passing. "In My Life" is simply one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard...

We miss you John....

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post

John Lennon also wrote what is my favorite Beatles song, and not to sound morbid, but would be a request at any sort of memorial at my passing. "In My Life" is simply one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard...

We miss you John....
    That is a beautiful song.

By the way, I didn't always agree with Lennon politically, but I always found him to be a great interview guest.

I used to love the Dick Cavett late-night talk show on ABC, one of the several failed experiments to compete with Johnny Carson.

Anyway, he did a series of interviews with John and Yoko in the early 70's. I recently rented the DVD ad recommend it. An excerpt found on youtube...(several others can be found there too...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=gfCBFhB_RQs

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

One day at the gym, I was doing my usual bit on the weights and my friend asked me how I knew all the words to some Beatles' song they were playing.

I hadn't realized I had sang or hummed, quietly, to myself the entire time.

I had realized that my baby-sitter from elementary school through middle school had a massive crush on Paul McCartney. My mother had a record player and she would bring her vinyl and play the Beatles while she and I did our homework.

I learned every freegin song. Couldn't tell you the album, couldn't tell you the title...but I still, to this day know the songs.

Even when they are in the background.

That's saying something about their talents and skills.

When John Lennon was killed, it was her night to come over.

She didn't play any records that night. She cried when she made me my macaroni and cheese.

And I'll never forget that day.

John and his troupe had a profound impact on many lives that we are only beginning to totally understand on the world's culture. One may not have agreed with him....but you can't deny his contributions in part.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend