Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

50 Winters Later - "That'll Be The Day" in Clear Lake, Iowa

Every day, it's a gettin' closer - going faster than a roller coaster.

"That'll Be The Day" that a lot of folks in Clear Lake, Iowa will mark the 50th anniversary of "the day the music died" with "True Love Ways".

On Monday, February 2nd, it will be exactly 50 years to the day that the great Buddy Holly, Southern California product Ritchie Valens, and the "Big Bopper" performed in the now infamous Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa...part of the "Winter Dance Party" of 1959.

Their plane crashed and all were killed in the early morning hours of February 3.

So on February 2, 2009 - "50 Winters Later" - a tribute concert is scheduled for the same location.

Buddy Holly remains a musical idol of mine. I realize that many of you are far too young to remember the day he died. I am, too - I was 2 1/2 years old at the time.

But go back and listen to his music. Lennon, McCartney, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, they and many others have commented on his influence upon them.

And Valens (La Bamba) and the Bopper (Chantilly Lace) were great talents in their own right.

The event is being sponsored by the Rock'N'Roll Hall of Fame. Wish I could be back there the night of Feb. 2nd.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Re: 50 Winters Later - "That'll Be The Day" in Clear Lake, Iowa

Barry---I love your music history knowledge. I was not born yet when this happened, but, have heard about it many times throughout my life. (I was a 1961 baby myself.)

• Iron-Clad Allie

Buddy Holly. You were the best. Here's to you and your rocker buddies, Bopper and Valens. Oh boy, it's so easy to be enamered by your words of love.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Such a genuine loss.

Rest in peace and Rave On!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Rock Star Minion

I'm content to watch Busey's movie again. He does a great job, IMO, and it's a great love story, too.

I wonder if this concert will be recorded?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'm content to watch Busey's movie again. He does a great job, IMO, and it's a great love story, too.
    I loved that movie, too.

I'm surprised that someone isn't showing that on TV this weekend - at least not according to my DirecTV on-screen guide.

Busey was nominated for Best Actor for the role in 1979. I was rooting for him to win (Jon Voight did that year for "Coming Home").

I do know that the nationally syndicated radio "True Oldies Channel" will be broadcasting from Clear Lake on Monday. It can be heard in Southern California on 1450 the Boomer in Ventura, or here anywhere (after 10AM Pacific that day). I believe they are dedicating this weekend to Holly, Valens and the Bopper as well.

And I suppose the story is well-chronicled that Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on the plane, and shouted "I hope your plane crashes".

He's lived a lifetime with that one.

-- Barry

PS...VH1-Classic Network is showing the Ritchie Valens bio-pic "La Bamba" on Monday. I enjoyed that film also!
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I used to have the soundtrack for La Bamba on vinyl. My mom likes that movie a lot. I remember seeing it in the theatre. Lou Diamond Phillips looked nothing like Ritchie Valens though. heh.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Excerpted from the Jan. 22 edition of the Clear Lake, Iowa Reporter and Mirror newspaper:

For example, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will bring a team of 16 persons to Clear Lake to first designate the Surf Ballroom as a historical rock and roll site, then conduct a series of free symposiums discussing the influence Holly, Valens and Richardson had on rock and roll and related topics. The traditional three-day tribute will be followed by a fourth concert night on Monday, Feb. 2, exactly 50 winters after the 1959 Winter Dance Party at the Surf. There will also be at least 42 other events, ranging from record shows and dance lessons, to bus trips to the crash site and a staging of “Buddy: The Musical” at NIACC Auditorium Sunday, Feb. 1.
    Lietz estimates she and Surf staff and volunteers will be responsible for the general care of 120 persons during the week. That will involve arranging their travel to events, lodging needs and general hospitality. On this historic year, the families of several musicians and persons associated with the event in the past plan to attend. Some 11 members of the Valens family will be in attendance.
    “We will have eight to 10 drivers scheduled daily getting people to where they need to be,” explained Lietz. “Right now the rooming list is a bit of a moving target as the event gets closer and peoples’ plans are firming up.” She notes a travel agent has been hired in the event that bad weather forces travel changes.
    A "Super Bowl" of musical history remembrance, to be sure, this weekend. As it should be.

-- Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

EDIT...

Don McLean, in a cool live peformance I found, coming up in the next post cuz I screwed up this one...

I've been told in recent years that students have been asked to write papers about the meanings in this classic song, dedicated for the most part to Buddy Holly.

I worked with a disc jockey at an oldies station who interpreted the song, line by line. It took about a half hour!

From what I understand, McLean himself has never done such an interpretation - saying he wanted to leave it to people's imaginations.

-- Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I continue on with my tribute thread. With that in mid, here's a nice tribute someone posted on YouTube, with one of my favorite songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

Here is the aforementiond Gary Busey, who did such a great job in the "Buddy Holly Story".

This is the scene where Buddy went where very few caucasian acts had ever gone before - Harlem's Apollo Theater - with songs including "It's So Easy" and "Rave On".

I hope that those of you looking this are realizing, maybe for the first time, how talented this man was...to say nothing of the others that died with him.

-- Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

No reaction whatsoever to these videos posted above? I'm just a bit surprised by that.

-- Barry

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I continue on with my tribute thread. With that in mid, here's a nice tribute someone posted on YouTube, with one of my favorite songs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5x9PPtPmoy4...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5x9PPtPmoy4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is the aforementiond Gary Busey, who did such a great job in the "Buddy Holly Story".

This is the scene where Buddy went where very few caucasian acts had ever gone before - Harlem's Apollo Theater - with songs including "It's So Easy" and "Rave On".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOsxzZMqYx0...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOsxzZMqYx0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I hope that those of you looking this are realizing, maybe for the first time, how talented this man was...to say nothing of the others that died with him.

-- Barry
    What an amazingly beautiful voice Buddy Holly had. True Love ways is an honest and caring work of art.

The renditions in the second video rocked!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Edit

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

50 years ago today.

The music didn't die that day, but it was changed forever.

-- Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 02-03-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast