Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

What's Your All Time Favorite Movie Score/Soundtrack?

Normally I place a poll with these, but there's just too many to mention, and there's a 10 option limit.

Share and share a like your ideas and what's your favorite movie score or soundtrack. Now just for clarification, a soundtrack is basically an album with a compilation of songs by artists for a movie, some of them may even be featured in that movie. And a movie score is generally non lyrical music, done by a composer to give not just background music to a movie or a scene, but to also give it life! Now I know some will say Star Wars or The Godfather. Those are good, but it be nice to see some variety here. You don't just have to mention a movie score, but you can also mention a certain composer if you have one.

My favorite score's so far are the ones to the Pirate Trilogy and the first National Treasure. And pretty much anything by Hans Zimmer. And don't get me wrong, but I also do think that John Williams is one of the best out there.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: What's Your All Time Favorite Movie Score/Soundtrack?

This is a question that I find really really difficult to answer. I can list you my favorite film composers, and then I can probably list a handful of my favorite works of theirs. But because my mood changes, so do the order of preference depending on the time of day.

So... maybe I'll just list the film composers that I enjoy and a few of their soundtracks or scores that really resonated with me.

JOHN WILLIAMS - What can I say? He is the master. I'm an avid collector of his works so it's REALLY hard to narrow it down. Of course he has his mega well known hits (star wars, indiana jones, superman) but my personal favorites aren't as well remembered for the music.

-Empire of the Sun - I love the score and I love the sound of a children's choir. He does both incredibly well.

-Hook - My exposure to this score was not from watching the movie, but performing the music back in my marching band days. It is really an amazing collection of music. Listen to "Prologue", "Presenting the Hook", "The Banquet", The Never-Feast", The Ultimate War".

-Munich, Memoirs of a Geisha, Saving Private Ryan -- These three I don't really listen to them all the way through, but they each have a key moment or piece that I can't get enough of. For Munich it is "Hatikvah" or "A Prayer for Peace". Memoirs is "Going to School", Private Ryan it's "Hymn to the Fallen".

DANNY ELFMAN - Love him or hate him, he does consistently good work. I enjoyed his music when he was in Oingo Boingo and I enjoy his music now. Here are my favorites:

-Edward Scissorhands - There's just a magical haunting charm to it that i love. And most movie trailers who want that particular sound agree.

-Nightmare Before Christmas - Probably his best work. Nuff said.

-Big Fish - Another beautiful score.

-Batman, Spider-Man, The Flash, Hulk, Dick Tracy, Men in Black - What can I say? I enjoy his comic book movie music!

MICHAEL GIACCHINO - This guy... came out of nowhere and has instantly become one of my favorite modern composers. He's new enough that he doesn't have a lot under his belt and soo... I have them all.

-The Incredibles - The score that got me hooked is rather incredible. Highlights for me are "The Glory Days", "Life's Incredible Again", "Off to Work", "100 Mile Dash", and of course "The Incredits"

-Ratatouille - This one didn't resonate with me until I watched the film a 2nd time and then that's when I fell in love with it. Listen to "Le Festin", "End Creditouilles" for a good sampling of it.

-Speed Racer - You think this is a joke, but no... it's quite truthful. His music in Speed Racer is like mixing James Bond with CHiPs. It's a lot of fun. Try listening to "Thunderhead", "World's Worst Road Rage", "Casa Cristo", "Bumper to Bumper, Rail to Rail" for some good action racing music. Oh and his "Speed Racer" diddy at the end is really great.

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - I have to thank the filmmakers at Disney for putting this guy right in front of me. I think this guy ranks up there almost with John Williams and will probably be the go to guy for the fanfares when he's gone. (sad that I think about that kind of stuff)

-Dinosaur - Yup! A not so great movie but ooooh what a wonderful score. Just listen to "the egg travels" and I'm sure you'll be a fan too. The rest of the score is a lot more primal and percussive but man is it cool.

-Atlantis: The Lost Empire -- Again, here was a movie I really loved but it didn't get the same critical or audience praise. But once again, the music is bloody amazing. Take a listen to "The Submarine", "The Leviathan", so much more.

-Peter Pan -- No, not the Disney one but they do use it for their ads quite a bit!

HANS ZIMMER -- There was a time when I really disliked his music because they come off sounding very artificial and not performed by a real orchestra. Well, I wasn't entirely true.. but some scores DO sound fake. But regardless, he has some really memorable tunes.

-The Lion King -- yah obviously. It was the first movie without an Alan Menken score attached and whoa did you notice that real fast. The moment that rain fell across the landscape, you were just floored by the music. I'm still waiting for them to release a more complete cut of the score because we're missing a lot of it.

-The Last Samurai -- Something quite haunting about this one and I really like it.

-Dead Man's Chest & At World's End -- You all know it so I don't need to discuss.

-Batman Begins (with James Newton Howard) -- There's something really interesting and out there about the score. Love it! I'm trying to think off the top of my head which one were my favorite ones... I think "Myotis", "Molossus", and "Corynorhinus"? Maybe "Barbastella" too? Argh those random names.

ALAN SILVESTRI -- He doesn't do a lot but I like what he does.

-Back to the Future -- how can you not like this one??

-Judge Dredd -- Yah, you haven't heard it. I have and it's good.

-Forrest Gump -- hehe, it's one of those classics.

-Who Framed Roger Rabbit -- he really set the setting with this jazzy score.

JOHN POWELL -- Don't recognize his name? You will eventually if you haven't yet.

-Kung Fu Panda (with Hans Zimmer) -- Truly beautiful movie music.

-X-Men 3 The Last Stand -- Say what you want about the music but if you stop and listen to the music... it's powerful stuff!

JAMES HORNER -- This guy used to be like my #2 guy. What happened? he scored Titanic and it sucked. And then the majority of everything else that came after sucked too. He had a really bad habit of copying his own music from previous movies. John Williams makes it SOUND like he copied his own music.... James Horner actually straight up does it. So here's a list of some that really are good, but I don't follow anything he does anymore.

-The Rocketeer -- you heard it when the Observatron did its thing. But as a kid in the theater, this music soared me along with the Rocketeer. Listen to those trumpets in the end credits. Wooowww

-Willow -- one of my favorite movies also has some of my favorite scores.

-Mask of Zorro -- not the second one. the first one. Really fun! You can hear some of it in Storytellers Cafe.

and of course there's more like JERRY GOLDSMITH (Mulan, Soarin Over CA), JOHN DEBNEY (Emperor's New Groove, Passion of the Christ), ALAN MENKEN (Hunchback of Notre Dame), I can't possibly name them all and list it all.. maybe next time.

and now that i think about it.. I think John Williams is the only one up there who HASN'T done anything Disney related. Crazy!
    Last edited by Coheteboy; 02-18-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This is a question that I find really really difficult to answer. I can list you my favorite film composers, and then I can probably list a handful of my favorite works of theirs. But because my mood changes, so do the order of preference depending on the time of day.

So... maybe I'll just list the film composers that I enjoy and a few of their soundtracks or scores that really resonated with me.

JOHN WILLIAMS - What can I say? He is the master. I'm an avid collector of his works so it's REALLY hard to narrow it down. Of course he has his mega well known hits (star wars, indiana jones, superman) but my personal favorites aren't as well remembered for the music.

-Empire of the Sun - I love the score and I love the sound of a children's choir. He does both incredibly well.

-Hook - My exposure to this score was not from watching the movie, but performing the music back in my marching band days. It is really an amazing collection of music. Listen to "Prologue", "Presenting the Hook", "The Banquet", The Never-Feast", The Ultimate War".

-Munich, Memoirs of a Geisha, Saving Private Ryan -- These three I don't really listen to them all the way through, but they each have a key moment or piece that I can't get enough of. For Munich it is "Hatikvah" or "A Prayer for Peace". Memoirs is "Going to School", Private Ryan it's "Hymn to the Fallen".

DANNY ELFMAN - Love him or hate him, he does consistently good work. I enjoyed his music when he was in Oingo Boingo and I enjoy his music now. Here are my favorites:

-Edward Scissorhands - There's just a magical haunting charm to it that i love. And most movie trailers who want that particular sound agree.

-Batman, Spider-Man, The Flash, Hulk, Dick Tracy, Men in Black - What can I say? I enjoy his comic book movie music!

MICHAEL GIACCHINO - This guy... came out of nowhere and has instantly become one of my favorite modern composers. He's new enough that he doesn't have a lot under his belt and soo... I have them all.

-The Incredibles - The score that got me hooked is rather incredible. Highlights for me are "The Glory Days", "Life's Incredible Again", "Off to Work", "100 Mile Dash", and of course "The Incredits"

-Ratatouille - This one didn't resonate with me until I watched the film a 2nd time and then that's when I fell in love with it. Listen to "Le Festin", "End Creditouilles" for a good sampling of it.

-Speed Racer - You think this is a joke, but no... it's quite truthful. His music in Speed Racer is like mixing James Bond with CHiPs. It's a lot of fun. Try listening to "Thunderhead", "World's Worst Road Rage", "Casa Cristo", "Bumper to Bumper, Rail to Rail" for some good action racing music. Oh and his "Speed Racer" diddy at the end is really great.

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - I have to thank the filmmakers at Disney for putting this guy right in front of me. I think this guy ranks up there almost with John Williams and will probably be the go to guy for the fanfares when he's gone. (sad that I think about that kind of stuff)

-Dinosaur - Yup! A not so great movie but ooooh what a wonderful score. Just listen to "the egg travels" and I'm sure you'll be a fan too. The rest of the score is a lot more primal and percussive but man is it cool.

-Atlantis: The Lost Empire -- Again, here was a movie I really loved but it didn't get the same critical or audience praise. But once again, the music is bloody amazing. Take a listen to "The Submarine", "The Leviathan", so much more.

-Peter Pan -- No, not the Disney one but they do use it for their ads quite a bit!

HANS ZIMMER -- There was a time when I really disliked his music because they come off sounding very artificial and not performed by a real orchestra. Well, I wasn't entirely true.. but some scores DO sound fake. But regardless, he has some really memorable tunes.

-The Lion King -- yah obviously. It was the first movie without an Alan Menken score attached and whoa did you notice that real fast. The moment that rain fell across the landscape, you were just floored by the music. I'm still waiting for them to release a more complete cut of the score because we're missing a lot of it.

-The Last Samurai -- Something quite haunting about this one and I really like it.

-Dead Man's Chest & At World's End -- You all know it so I don't need to discuss.

-Batman Begins (with James Newton Howard) -- There's something really interesting and out there about the score. Love it! I'm trying to think off the top of my head which one were my favorite ones... I think "Myotis", "Molossus", and "Corynorhinus"? Maybe "Barbastella" too? Argh those random names.

JOHN POWELL -- Don't recognize his name? You will eventually if you haven't yet.

-X-Men 3 The Last Stand -- Say what you want about the music but if you stop and listen to the music... it's powerful stuff!

JAMES HORNER -- This guy used to be like my #2 guy. What happened? he scored Titanic and it sucked. And then the majority of everything else that came after sucked too. He had a really bad habit of copying his own music from previous movies. John Williams makes it SOUND like he copied his own music.... James Horner actually straight up does it. So here's a list of some that really are good, but I don't follow anything he does anymore.

-The Rocketeer -- you heard it when the Observatron did its thing. But as a kid in the theater, this music soared me along with the Rocketeer. Listen to those trumpets in the end credits. Wooowww

-Mask of Zorro -- not the second one. the first one. Really fun! You can hear some of it in Storytellers Cafe.

and of course there's more like JERRY GOLDSMITH (Mulan, Soarin Over CA), JOHN DEBNEY (Emperor's New Groove, Passion of the Christ), ALAN MENKEN (Hunchback of Notre Dame), I can't possibly name them all and list it all.. maybe next time.

and now that i think about it.. I think John Williams is the only one up there who HASN'T done anything Disney related. Crazy!
    I completely forgot about James Newton Howard, who also did Waterworld. James Horner, and Jerry Goldsmith who did the score for Star Trek First Contact and for Rudy. And Alan Silvestri. At least 3 of those 4 movies you mentioned with him, have one thing in common - the director - Robert Zemekis. Rob likes Alan to score his movies. I also like Hans Zimmer for Broken Arrow and The Rock (which he was a co-contributor).

• MiceChat Moderator

First Contact was a great score. The Rock was probably my first soundtrack with Hans Zimmer back in the day.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Score?
    The Crow

Movie Soundtrack?
    Moulin Rouge, That Thing You Do!, Pretty In Pink

And I'm still boggled as to why they never released a soundtrack for Ferris Bueller.

• Minion

First Contact was a great score. The Rock was probably my first soundtrack with Hans Zimmer back in the day.

The main one I like from FC was the opening theme. It is a very beautiful piece of music. In the day, there was a song or two by Jerry Goldsmith from Rudy, and there was the Forrest Gump Suite that played in the parade route area between the winery and the San Francisco buildings. The music seems to be malfunctioning a lil in that area now.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Since I can't mention Star Wars or Indiana Jones, here are other scores/soundtracks that I enjoy

Howard Shore's score for Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King

Thomas Newman's American Beauty, Finding Nemo and Wall-E

Jonny Greenwood's There Will Be Blood

I generally enjoy Ennio Morricone's work

Some film soundtracks I enjoy are

Magnolia
    Lost in Translation
    Virgin Suicides
    Little Miss Sunshine

• Directly directed

I second this post and but want to add a couple:

The Transformers score. This one just doesn't get old. I hope Steve Jablonsky does the sequel too.
    Twilight score (Carter Burwell) And yes, I am a twilighter which probably influences my liking it, but it just feels pacific northwesty if that makes any sense at all.
    Atonement- Dario Marianelli How can you not like this music? The Briony vs Cecilia thing is amazing. He deserved his oscar.

Random piece of trivia- the song titles in Batman Begins are names of bats in Latin. And the first letter of the titles starting with song 4 spell out Batman.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Dark Knight- I am a Batman fan, I mean what can I say? "WHy so Serious" makes you feel like the Joker is going to cause mayhem at any moment.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

I really enjoy the kill bill (1 and 2 ) soundtracks

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Dark Knight- I am a Batman fan, I mean what can I say? "WHy so Serious" makes you feel like the Joker is going to cause mayhem at any moment.
    You do know that this favorite movie score, right? Not favorite line or scene?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, musical score/songs Coheteboy mentioned most of masters of music, that come to my mind. However I would also add the Sherman Brothers for The Happiest Millionaire, Mary Poppins, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

With Disney, one of the musical producers, who has shown the greatest range is Alan Menken, even in some of the Disney animated movie that flopped, his music still was amazing!

Hans Zimmer absolutely incredible, his score for The Lion King made the setting for the movie! Although Elton John's songs were good, it was Hans' score that set the mood throughout the movie. And of Course Captain Jack and Hans' score for PotC go together perfectly.

yeah, I'm just listing more popular movies, but mostly because the music was so distinctive for each of these movies.

Alan Silvestri has a wonderful score with the Back to the Future movies

John Williams, who created the sounds for Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park - again someone who created iconic music for these movies.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I second this post and but want to add a couple:

The Transformers score. This one just doesn't get old. I hope Steve Jablonsky does the sequel too.
    Twilight score (Carter Burwell) And yes, I am a twilighter which probably influences my liking it, but it just feels pacific northwesty if that makes any sense at all.
    Atonement- Dario Marianelli How can you not like this music? The Briony vs Cecilia thing is amazing. He deserved his oscar.

Random piece of trivia- the song titles in Batman Begins are names of bats in Latin. And the first letter of the titles starting with song 4 spell out Batman.

Interesting!

And Transformers was one of those scores that I was like "ugh, what a hans zimmer" ripoff when I saw the movie, LOL! But you know what, for what it is, it's good. I still haven't picked it up yet.

And yes, he will be doing "Revenge of the Fallen".

Going back to the composers I only lightly touched upon..

JERRY GOLDSMITH -- A legend. Lot's of classic work. I don't have a great deal of his and I'm sure in time, that will change.

-Mulan -- Beautiful score, what can I say?

-Air Force One -- If you ever hung out in Condor Flats, then you've heard this one and probably like it!

-Star Trek First Contact -- First of all, Jerry Goldsmith wrote the Star Trek theme that everyone knows from the Next Generation. But for First Contact, he really added another layer of music. Really good stuff.

ALAN MENKEN -- Disney's go to animation composer guy. He's done so many it's really hard to pick your favorites. Actually... it was really easy for me. Here's my favorites:

-Hunchback of Notre Dame -- There's something about a score with latin chorus behind it. This score was so much richer than his previous works and it gives me goosebumps.

-Pocahontas -- This is a beautiful score. Very underrated.

-Home on the Range -- The movie stank, but the music was very strong indeed.

-Enchanted -- It's like alan menken grew up or something. This music feels more grown up than anything else he's done before... even if it feels familiar.

BRUCE BROUGHTON -- I haven't listened to a lot of his work but there's one soundtrack that I really dig of his: Rescuers Down under. He really carries the movie.

RANDY EDELMAN -- This guy has so many movies but yet, sometimes it's hard to really pinpoint what he's done. A few come to mind.

-Dragon: A Bruce Lee Story -- I believe some of this was used in Soarin's queue but I remember my brother getting it when I got Jurassic Park. And as much as I loved the 2 or 3 tracks from Jurassic Park, I could listen to Dragon all the way through.

-Dragonheart -- Yah, that movie about a talking dragon! Not Bruce Lee. The score for this movie was heard in the early trailers for Mulan.

-Chipmunk Adventure -- yah, that's right. The old school full length feature. It was good!

THOMAS NEWMAN -- Does a lot of Pixar work now which I love, but he has a lot of powerful yet invisible scores, from Wall-E and Finding Nemo, to The Shawshank Redemption and Road to Perdition.

RANDY NEWMAN -- How could I forget Pixar's regular? Sure he has an annoying voice but his music is good! I think my favorite work of his belongs to the first two Toy Story movies.

I'll think of more.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    You do know that this favorite movie score, right? Not favorite line or scene?
    And in turn, you do know that "Why So Serious" is the title of the Joker motif with the sustained notes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Imperium
    I really enjoy the kill bill (1 and 2 ) soundtracks
    Hooray! Another vote for Morricone!
    Last edited by brand42; 02-18-2009 at 11:10 PM.

• Honorary Mermaid.

Moulin Rouge, hands down.
    I could listen to it for dayyyys

and I really really realllly love Hans Zimmer and John Williams.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast