• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' musical 2010

Posted: Tue., Feb. 24, 2009, 9:28am PT

'Spider-Man' swings to Broadway

Bono, The Edge to write music, lyrics

By Gordon Cox
    Variety

The first official announcement of the "Spider-Man" musical has confirmed a February 2010 opening at Broadway's Hilton Theater -- although at this point, one of the only bits of news revealed about the much-discussed tuner is the fact that the show has a subtitle.

Helmed by Julie Taymor ("The Lion King") "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark" will have music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge, both of U2. Taymor and Glen Berger ("Underneath the Lintel") pen the book.

No casting was confirmed, although on red carpets Rachel Evan Wood has been talking up her role in the musical. Many legiters expect Wood to play Spidey's love interest Mary Jane Watson opposite Jim Sturgess as Peter Parker. The duo co-starred in Taymor's 2007 pic "Across the Universe."

Plot details of "Spider-Man" remain sketchy, outside of the fact that the show will retell the Marvel superhero's origin story about a nerdy teen bitten by a radioactive spider.

Design elements include sets by George Tsypin ("The Little Mermaid"), costumes by Eiko Ishioka ("M. Butterfly"), lights by Donald Holder ("Lion King") and sound by Jonathan Deans (Cirque du Soleil's Beatles show "Love"). Daniel Ezralow ("Across the Universe") choreographs.

Capitalization costs for the megabudget tuner remain unconfirmed, although the production is said to come in at north of $35 million.
    'Spider-Man' swings to Broadway - Entertainment News, Legit News, Media - Variety

'Spider-Man' The Musical - 9/24/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/theatre/1...n-musical.html

'Spider-Man' The Musical -10/9/07
    http://micechat.com/forums/theatre/8...n-musical.html

'Spider-Man' musical from Taymor, Bono & The Edge - 4/16/07
    http://micechat.com/forums/entertain...bono-edge.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Re: 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' musical 2010

Really? I mean... really? Spiderman the musical?

Ugh.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark
    to Open at the Hilton in 2010

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill
    24 Feb 2009

Poster art for Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark

Spider-Man creators Julie Taymor, Bono and The Edge
    photos by Brigitte Lacombe, Kevin Davies and Kevin Mazur

Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark — the eagerly awaited new musical about the Marvel comic books hero — will begin previews at Broadway's Hilton Theatre Jan. 16, 2010.

Directed by The Lion King's Julie Taymor, the musical will officially open Feb. 18, 2010. Casting will be revealed shortly. (Evan Rachel Wood, who can be seen in the film "The Wrestler," previously announced that she'll star in the musical, but no official casting has been announced.)

Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark features music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge and a book by Taymor and Glen Berger.

Drawing from over 40 years of Marvel comic books, Spider-Man, according to press notes, "spins a new take on the mythic tale of a young man propelled from a modest rowhouse in Queens to the sky-scraping spire of the Chrysler Building, the bustling offices of the Daily Bugle, through the dizzying canyons of Manhattan, to new vistas never before seen. The musical follows the story of teenager Peter Parker, whose unremarkable life is turned upside-down — literally — when he's bitten by a genetically altered spider and wakes up the next morning clinging to his bedroom ceiling. This bullied science-geek — suddenly endowed with astonishing powers — soon learns, however, that with great power comes great responsibility as villains test not only his physical strength but also his strength of character. Spider-Man's battles will hurtle the audience through an origin story both recognizable and unexpected — yielding new characters as well as familiar faces — until a final surprising confrontation casts a startling new light on this hero's journey."
    Group tickets are now on sale by calling (800) Broadway. Single tickets will go on sale in June.

The Hilton Theatre is located in Manhattan at 213 West 42nd Street.

For more information visit www.SpidermanOnBroadway.com.
    Playbill News: Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark to Open at the Hilton in 2010
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-24-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Industry insiders have said its budget would be the largest in Broadway history, about $40 million; asked to confirm that budget figure, a spokesman for the show, Adrian Bryan-Brown, said on Tuesday that the producers would not comment on the dollar amount.
    Mr. Bryan-Brown said that the music and lyrics were largely complete, but that Bono and the Edge would “of course write more songs as necessary.” He said that the subtitle of the musical, “Turn Off the Dark,” is the title of one of the songs, and added that there were no plans to use or riff on the well-known theme song from the television cartoon series about the Marvel comic-book superhero.

According to a news release from the producers, the show, in which the title character will indeed be flying around the Hilton, draws on the comic book series for “inspiration,” yet also “spins a new take on the mythic tale of a young man propelled from a modest row house in Queens to the sky-scraping spire of the Chrysler Building, the bustling offices of the Daily Bugle, through the dizzying canyons of Manhattan, to new vistas never before seen.”

The plot description concludes: “Spider-Man’s battles will hurtle the audience through an origin story both recognizable and unexpected, yielding new characters as well as familiar faces until a final surprising confrontation casts a startling new light on this hero’s journey.”
    Broadway’s ‘Spider-Man’ Spins a Theater and Start Date - ArtsBeat Blog - NYTimes.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

LOL, I'm so watching.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Bono working with and in Taymor's 'Across the Universe' was probably a great starting point for them. It's a truly exciting creative experiment from a bunch of risktakers with amazing track records. Cannot wait to hear and see where they go with Spidey.

• Happy Memories

On the surface, this sounds like a total train wreck to me. However I'm absolutely curious to see/hear what they come up with, because even if it's not great it's still guaranteed to be creative and interesting with this team involved.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

U2 talk "Horizon" follow up,
    Spider-Man musical in cover story

In addition to the seemingly endless studio sessions and the unprecedented push for No Line on the Horizon, Bono and the Edge are moving ahead with their contribution to Julie Taymor’s web-slinging musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,” which Bono previewed during a brief drive.
    The first song Bono plays on the Maserati’s more-than-adequate sound system is called “Boy Falls From the Sky,” with Across the Universe star Jim Sturgess singing as Peter Parker. It sounds a lot like a U2 hit, especially when Bono sings along in the car with the line “I used to use a single thread to cross the sky.” “Killer!” he shouts as the song wraps up, and then he plays a choral, operatic segue. When Bono’s assistant calls on his cell, he cuts the conversation short: “We’re in the middle of an opera here!”

Clayton and Mullen haven’t even heard what Bono calls the “spider songs” yet, but the singer is hopeful that he can convince them to release the tunes in the form of a U2 album. “If we do, it’ll be a monster, ’cause it’s the most accessible music we’ve probably ever written,” Bono says. “It could be our Tommy. We could do it with guest stars and everything.”
    Mullen, however, isn’t sold on it, calling the whole thing “a Bono and Edge project.”

The complete story behind No Line on the Horizon can be found in the new issue of Rolling Stone, on newsstands now.
    U2 Talk “Horizon” Follow Up, Spider-Man Musical in Rolling Stone Cover Story : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I actually might have to take my son to go see this!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Happy Memories

An interesting new article about the production: &#39;SPIDEY&#39; SENSES TINGLING - New York Post

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks for the link!

WHAT do you call a $40 million theatrical extravaganza that features gigantic, perspective-skewing sets, 3-D projections, more aerial acrobatics than Cirque du Soleil, a cast of heroes and villains from Marvel comic books and a rock score by Bono and The Edge?

The phrase "Broadway musical" doesn't seem grand enough to convey the size and scope of "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark," which is due to open in New York at the Hilton Theater in January 2010.
    Sounds as if Julie Taymor is readying yet another unique shot in the arm to Broadway. I didn't expect anything less. Can't wait for the next chapter!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Guess Jim Sturgess opted to focus in films.

Posted: Thurs., Apr. 2, 2009, 3:35pm PT

'Spider-Man' to star unknowns

Julie Taymor initiates casting call for musical

Taymor

By David Rooney
    Variety

Julie Taymor appears to be considering going the unknown route in casting the leads for her return to Broadway with "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark." A nationwide casting call has been announced running April 9 through May 27 in Orlando, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Chicago and Austin.

While Evan Rachel Wood (who starred for Taymor in "Across the Universe") has frequently been mentioned as attached to the project to play Mary Jane, the casting announcement states: " 'Spider-Man' is seeking principals and understudies for the roles of Peter Parker, Mary Jane and 'Female Lead Villain.'"

Music for the large-scale production (said to be budgeted at close to $40 million) is by U2 members Bono and the Edge. The show is scheduled to open Feb. 18 on Broadway at the Hilton Theater.
    'Spider-Man' to star unknowns - Entertainment News, Legit News, Media - Variety

I do want to see this when it comes out. I love Spider-man and am curious as to how they will do everything.

Anyone remember back in 1989 after Batman came out there was rumors of a Batman musical?

• Ursula

Long Island, NY, but wanting to move to Disney World, where I can use my talents for tips!

"Female villain lead"?

That grabs my interest....Only villain I really recall from the Spidey series that could be brought into a musical is Black Cat.

This whole idea seems rather surreal. I can understand Shrek....but....Spiderman?

My home away from home! If I don't make it as a CP that's where I wanna work!
    (Picture Taken by Me!)

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer Fan View Post
    I do want to see this when it comes out. I love Spider-man and am curious as to how they will do everything.

Anyone remember back in 1989 after Batman came out there was rumors of a Batman musical?
    Don't remember that... but there was a short-lived Superman musical back in the 60s, awkwardly titled "It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" Original cast recording is available on iTunes if you want to check it out.
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast