• Still lost in Neverland

Sad Sad News from Gemstone Publishing

They have pulled all publication of Disney Comics. This is the company that has been re-printing the classic Disney Comics from the 30's and 40's since the Disney Company stopped there comic line years ago. They publish the Disney Comics with the Carl Barks, Don Rosa and many early comic artists during the Golden Age. Walt Disney Comics and Stories, Mickey Mouse Comics, Donald Duck Comics and Uncle Scrooge are the titles Disney Comics Fans are most familier with. Even the books that were solicited through Diamond in the last five months have been listed now as Canceled by Publisher.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Sad News from Gemstone Publishing

Even though Gemstone is stopping (which is sad), I have heard that there are some lines of Pixar comic books coming out, Cars, Nemo, Incredibles - I don't remember where I found that out line - do you know anything about those, Bruce?

And ever since Disney Adventures stopped, there really hasn't been any outlet for comics on newer movies. the comic version of the PotC movie characters were rather interesting. It's too bad that never made it into a series.

I would have like seeing something more with Lilo and Stitch in comic book form, Bolt would be cool, too. I had tried finding something for Enchanted, when that came out, and couldn't find anything, comic book - wise.

Yes. The Muppet Show, Incredibles and Nemo came out last week. I got them because they are first issues. Cars comes in next week. They are published by Boom Comics. Very simple and kid freindly art. Nothing at all like Pixar Art. I probably will not go beyond the first issues except maybe for The Incredibles.

On another note it looks like SLG has ceased doing The Haunted Mansion Book. The last issue was out months ago and nothing has been solicited for months. The one issue that had been solicited but never made it has been cancelled by publisher. I think the redo of the Mansion's main story with the axe weilding bride and many grooms with missing heads kind of messed them up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

The Muppet Show Comic books? That sounds very interesting.

But it is sad Bruce.

• Senior Minion

This is very sad news about Gemstone. I was an avid collector back in the Gladstone days (mid to late '80s) and continued into the Disney published comics even though they became more kid-friendly. I eventually packed it in but from the odd issue of the Gemstone comics that I have seen, it looks like they picked up where Gladstone left off - comics for the true collector and fan.
    This is a very sad indication of how the Disney characters are regarded by the majority of today's comic reading Americans. Here in Europe, Disney comics have massive circulations in many countries (although my native Britain only produces several fortnightly titles for pre-schoolers).
    This is probably the reason why the long awaited first volume of the Don Rosa library has continued to be delayed. Is it now totally cancelled? A 'Treasures' title to celebrate Donald's 75th was also due this year. Is that also a dead duck?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

That Don Rosa Book I don't know about. But if it was published by Gemstone then I would say yes. Hyperion or Disney it still has a chance. We have a big Disney Convention coming up in July near Disneyland. This is a yearly event by the NFFC and is attended by several thousand Disney Fans. The last day is a major sale and trade show and many Disney Employees are there and most of the major publishers are there as well. I will keep my eyes open and see what I can find out. I know a good many of the fans, employees and publishers that come regularly. I believe this year it's on July 19th.

The Muppet Show Comic is based on the TV show and there is a couple in the pipeline based on Muppet based movies. I think one is The Muppet Christmas Carol but can't be sure if that is the one. The new Diamond Catalog comes in this coming Wednesday and I will let you know what coming out of that one.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Sorry to hear about Gemstone stopping the books. I really love the Uncle Scrooge comics, especially the work of Don Rosa. On my bookshelf sits The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the Companion book to it, great comics.

The Muppet Show comic was wonderful. It really was like an episode of the show! The Incredibles was excellent as well. Mark Waid writes great super hero books to begin with and really seems to have the feel down of this franchise.

As for The Haunted Mansion comic, I loved it. I am sorry to see it go, it was a great read. I wasn't too crazy about the Gargoyles book though, I preferred the Marvel comic version back in the 90's.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I did pick up the Incredibles and Cars. But I checked 5 comic book stores in my area, and all were sold out of Muppets. Although, one store only ordered one copy. UGGGH!

so sad....
    thanE

very sad....
    my heart is yours

Just as an FYI: I believe the second issue of The Muppet Show comes out this Wednesday.

Also, May 2 is Free Comic Book Day. Be sure to check the local comic shops in your area and see if they are participating.

• Sock Puppet

This is no good news for all fanatics. But who ever has a collection could be 10X richer because of this.

OK. There is some news. Good and Bad at the same time.

Starting with this months Diamond Catalog Boom Comics is soliciting "Walt Disney Comics and Stories" and "Mickey Mouse and Freinds". And they are keeping the numbering system intact. WDCAS will be #699 and MMAF will be #296. That's the good news.

The bad news is they are creating all "new" stories and using new artists. WDCAS will have a "What If" story about the the Super Heroes of the Disney Comics Universe were to clash with all the Super Villians. Duck Avenger, Super Goofy and Mickey Mouse for an all new team of team of heroes in an all new Disney Publishing comic.

MMAF will have The Wizards of Mickey. Students of the Great Grandalf, Mickey hails from the humble village of Miceland, Donald Duck is also involved with his pet dragon, Fafnir, and team mate Goofy. The Villian is Peg Leg Pete who has stolen the Rain Cyrstal from Miceland. "An Epic Tale of Magic and WOnder".

Yea, right. The art is not by anyone from Disney. I will get the first issues, but probably not much after that. I was hoping for better but these are BOOM KIDS books. Just so you know.

Thank You Poisonedapples