Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Comic Books

• Shablagoo!

Re: Comic Books

Anyone catch the origin of Dex-Starr, the red lantern? If it was not for the fact that he would burn my face off, I would want him for a pet.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Any thoughts on Jim Lee and JMS's new Wonder Woman costume?

I don't like it and found Lee and Stracynski's justifications for it on the DC blog rather weak. Lee bandies the term "classic superhero" with seeming contempt while JMS actually made a comment about how all women like to accessorize.
    My initial thought about the costume was "Black Canary".

I've since read comments by Didio, JMS and Lee about things WW and had to work to keep an open mind about it all. Whenever they decide to bring the character to the big screen, I think the swimsuit costume can be an issue. And I don't necessarily disagree with their arguments. And definitely agree with them that is a huge challenge to re-define her so "today's" audiences (comic book, movie and television) can believe her being a superhero. Wearing the swimsuit while Batman begins with a new movie suit (plus a strong sense of his movie world) would be a real disconnect to non-comic book fan moviegoers.

I love the WW character and I enjoyed reading WW #600 last night. I gotta admit that while Gail Simone's run on the book was fun to read, it was pretty heavy on the gods and goddesses stuff. It was almost like reading WW by way of Lord of the Rings. But I plan to continue reading WW to see how it goes. I'm generally hopeful, but time will tell.

On a related note, I'm a much bigger Batman fan, and I still haven't joined the Grayson-as-Batman camp. I read the first few issues of Batman & Robin, and it didn't sway me. I'm not a fan of Grant Morrison's work on Batman. And I'm waiting for the collected edition of The Return of Bruce Wayne before reading it. So WW's change I can be open too. But as a long-time Batman fan, I've definitely got a bias for Bruce being in the suit.

Oh, one other thing about WW. One of my female friends totally loves the rationale behind her new outfit. I'd like to hear what other women here think besides us men tear it down (so to speak ).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Oh, one other thing about WW. One of my female friends totally loves the rationale behind her new outfit. I'd like to hear what other women here think besides us men tear it down (so to speak ).
    It's practical. And I will reiterate the double-sided tape statement.

• Animation Domination

Yesterday I got Batman Beyond #1 of 6, Wonder Woman #600 and Flash #3. The lastest Green Lantern issue was sold out will get it later this week. Comics will come out Thursday because of Fourth of July. Getting Batman and Robin #13 next week.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Queen Elsa

I hate the new look to Wonder Woman. She looks like a Biker chick now. Alot of people I know also hate the new look.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    I hate the new look to Wonder Woman. She looks like a Biker chick now. Alot of people I know also hate the new look.
    But don't you think it's a little sexist and sends a wrong message to girls, who want to be comic book dorks, that our worth is defined by how we look in less than a swimsuit? Compared to their male comic book counterparts who are fully dressed and can skill kick rump and take names? And are biker chicks that bad? They seriously are awesome.

For all the males that dislike the new Wonder Woman costume, go read "Super Girls!".

• Queen Elsa

No I do not think it's sexist or what every u said. I'm one of these people that don't like change to things and this is one of them I grow up with the way Wonder Woman look back then samething with Robin to me only Dick Grayson will always be Robin none of these others are no Robin and I don't like his new outfit as well. The only two I had like of there new looks at the time was Aquaman and Hawkman. Hawkman had a green and red outfit then they change it to a gray outfit which was not different from the other as for Aquaman when from his Orange to his blue outfit but back to his Orange I like how it look on him. But I do not like the look how Wonder Woman is now. To me she is not Wonder Woman but a biker girl. So no I don't think I'm wrong here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Change happens. The iconic Batman, Superman, all the fancy DC heroes, and Marvel big guns all started off with different costumes... The iconic costumes were later.

As a gal who works a very physical job, the "gals" get in the way. So when you see these super-heroines with these out of proportioned bodies wearing next to nothing, it doesn't make sense. Unless their superpowers include not getting a wedgie...

Perris... sounds like Paris but without the wild parties

I have been collecting comics for at least 25 years. Mostly X-Men, main love is anything Chris Claremont. I stopped in 1997 because I didn't like the storylines like much anmore and I felt like I was buying just because I alway have. Ironic thing was that that was the year I started going to the comic con and have been going every years since. I actually bought a few comics this month thanks to a friend who saw my closet FULL and said he always liked Wonder woman of all things. I read WW 600 and it reminded me of when they chandged her before and it turned out bad. so if you hate the change they may well change her back. may take a year or so though.
    And yes I have watched all the X-Men movies and there are thing to like and not like about them. I found because of this surge of popularity me collection is worth a lot. What that means to me is that the ones I love are more expensive to find if I find them.
    I'm going to miss those 25 cent bins!
    Nemo's not in slumberland anymore!

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by jetkitten View Post
    I have been collecting comics for at least 25 years. Mostly X-Men, main love is anything Chris Claremont. I stopped in 1997 because I didn't like the storylines like much anmore and I felt like I was buying just because I alway have. Ironic thing was that that was the year I started going to the comic con and have been going every years since. I actually bought a few comics this month thanks to a friend who saw my closet FULL and said he always liked Wonder woman of all things. I read WW 600 and it reminded me of when they chandged her before and it turned out bad. so if you hate the change they may well change her back. may take a year or so though.
    And yes I have watched all the X-Men movies and there are thing to like and not like about them. I found because of this surge of popularity me collection is worth a lot. What that means to me is that the ones I love are more expensive to find if I find them.
    I'm going to miss those 25 cent bins!

In DC history Wonder Woman has have the most costume changes than any other superhero. I say in about six months Diana will be wearing her old costume again. Yesterday I picked up Green Lantern #55 since it was sold out last week. I also bought Batman & Robin #13 which was a really good and fun read for me. Brightest Day #5 quick read at the comic shop was good but lots of questions remain unanswered. Another quick read was X-Men #1 it was alright but Iím not into the whole vampire vs. X-Men storyline.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Senior Minion

I have recently unearthed my (enormous) collection of Gladstone Disney Comics from the late '80s and early '90s and am thoroughly enjoying revisiting them. Barks, Rosa, Murray, Gottfredson... all genius!
    I recently picked up one of the new-wave Disney comics and was disgusted at the low quality of writing and artwork. Gladstone showed that comics (even Disney ones) are not just for kids.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Disneyland PAP

So Bruce wears the cowl again this Fall in The Return? Sa-weet!

DC Universe: The Source Blog Archive David Finch takes on BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT as writer/artist

Plus, Amazon just shipped my pre-orders for Blackest Night and Green Lantern: Blackest Night. I've only read Issue #0, so I'm looking forward to having a great time reading these in one sitting.

• Disneyland PAP

Last night I read…

Batman #701 - liked it, tho' now I feel like I gotta pull out my Batman: RIP issues and refresh myself on what happened previously
    Superman #701 - liked it a lot more than I expected to
    Birds of Prey #3 - got pretty hooked by the opening 3 or 4 pages. Thank you, Gail, for giving Ed a scene of kinky super chicks to draw. Ooh la la!
    And on deck I have Comic Book Guy: The Comic Book left to read.

I hope to have a decent block of time this weekend to get into either of the Blackest Night HCs that arrived yesterday.

• we jumped out a window

I got GL 56 and GLC 50 today.

I haven't laughed so much while reading a GL comic (#56) in quite some time! Larfleeze believes in Santa Claus! Hal overloading the orange constructs with an insane amount of sweets!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I got GL 56 and GLC 50 today.

I haven't laughed so much while reading a GL comic (#56) in quite some time! Larfleeze believes in Santa Claus! Hal overloading the orange constructs with an insane amount of sweets!
    It all leads into the Larfleeze christmas special. I am looking forward to that. Almost as much as the Dex-Starr Valentine's Day special.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast