Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Books

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Comic Books

I finished reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Camelot-3000-Deluxe-Mike-Barr/dp/140121942X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243902396&sr=1-1"]Camelot 3000[/ame] last night. Never read it before, but was always interested in it due to Brian Bolland's artwork. I was bummed he didn't get to ink his own pencils, but the Foreward by Mike Barr explains why that didn't happen. Don't know much about the King Arthur legend, but I didn't need to to enjoy it. It's a nice romp through the far-flung future on earth with the King, Merlin and his reincarnations of the Round Table knights.

I also got through the final issue of DC's Trinity last week. I almost want my money back or stock in DC Comics at least for sticking with all 52 issues.

I also read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Countdown-J-Abrams/dp/1600104207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243902768&sr=1-1"]Star Trek: Countdown[/ame] a few days after watching the new movie. It was a diverting prequel to the movie, tho' I've since read that the screenwriters of the new movie don't consider the story as canon.

I know I'm missing out on the whole Darkest Night thing by waiting for the collected versions, but between comic books and Blu-ray Discs fighting for my dollars, BDs are winning out!

I always wanted to read Camelot 3000, maybe I will give it a read.

Re-reading Arrowsmith right now, cool story about a alternate history where in WW1 the war is fought with magic and dragons and vampries and such.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer Fan View Post
    Re-reading Arrowsmith right now, cool story about a alternate history where in WW1 the war is fought with magic and dragons and vampries and such.
    I love Arrowsmith! That artwork is what sold me on buying it from issue one. You remind me that I don't really get around to re-reading my old books, only when it's relevant like re-reading my old Tangent or Crisis on Infinite Earths issues for current books.

Read this week's Warlord and Buffy: Tales of the Vampires last night. Buffy was an entertaining one-shot. Reading Warlord really makes me miss Mike Grell drawing it. Hmm, maybe that's one I should pull out my old issues of and re-read!

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I love Arrowsmith! That artwork is what sold me on buying it from issue one. You remind me that I don't really get around to re-reading my old books, only when it's relevant like re-reading my old Tangent or Crisis on Infinite Earths issues for current books.

Read this week's Warlord and Buffy: Tales of the Vampires last night. Buffy was an entertaining one-shot. Reading Warlord really makes me miss Mike Grell drawing it. Hmm, maybe that's one I should pull out my old issues of and re-read!
    Those Buffy: Tales of the Vampires comics are always great!

Blackest Night will finally begin starting with the next Green Lantern/GLC issues.

• Disneyland PAP

I picked up DC's Wednesday Comics yesterday. I admit I didn't know what really to expect when this whole idea was announced, but I have to say getting it in my hands was really cool! It felt nostalgic and more relaxing, like I should read it over breakfast and coffee on a Sunday morning. And that was before I read a single panel! I read it all last night and the artwork, layout and stories were terrific. Definitely a fun way for newbies to get into comic books. DC should definitely offer this on Free Comic Book Day next year!

• Storyteller

Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman' series is probably my favorite. I've also read/am reading: Fables, Hellboy, Watchmen, The Killing Joke, Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Sin City.

• Halloween Haunt Fan!

I personally read Tales from the Crypt and mom reads everything under sun!!! seriously we must have more 5,000 comic books in my house alone!! it's intense.
    Counting down the days to Halloween Haunt!!!! Knotts Berry Farm
    I love True Blood sundays!

• we jumped out a window

I picked up DC's Wednesday Comics yesterday. I admit I didn't know what really to expect when this whole idea was announced, but I have to say getting it in my hands was really cool! It felt nostalgic and more relaxing, like I should read it over breakfast and coffee on a Sunday morning. And that was before I read a single panel! I read it all last night and the artwork, layout and stories were terrific. Definitely a fun way for newbies to get into comic books. DC should definitely offer this on Free Comic Book Day next year!
    I completely forgot about it when I was at the comic store today. Thanks for the great review, I'll look forward to getting issue #1 now!

• we jumped out a window

Did anyone pick up issue #1 of the Toy Story comic from Boom Kids?

I loved it and found it more enjoyable than the Incredibles and Cars comics. Haven't read or bought any of the Muppet ones, however. My local comic stores order so few copies, if any at all of the Boom Kids titles that I've had to get them from Disney Soda Fountain where they have tons of them.

• Shablagoo!

Anyone read Blackest Night #1? Great issue. The last few pages are extremely chilling though.

Spoiler

Zombie versions of Ralph and Sue Dibny kill Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Then Rip their hearts out of their chests and eat them. The Black Hand shows up and then ...

Well the Black Lanterns numbers grow by 2.

Last edited by Melonballer; 07-20-2009 at 10:12 PM.

• we jumped out a window

I bought/read Blackest Night 1. I wasn't expecting it to be quite that dark!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I bought/read Blackest Night 1. I wasn't expecting it to be quite that dark!
    Isn't it cool?

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Isn't it cool?
    To be honest, I was a bit disappointed considering that it has been a 2 year build up during which I read every issue of GL and GL Corps. It doesn't feel like a GL comic at all, more like Final Crisis without the obliqueness. I'll withhold further judgement until the series is done but I didn't enjoy Final Crisis at all and am starting to burn out on DC comics.

Blackest Night Tales of the Corps was a waste of money, IMO and I won't bother with the rest of the issues.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    To be honest, I was a bit disappointed considering that it has been a 2 year build up during which I read every issue of GL and GL Corps. It doesn't feel like a GL comic at all, more like Final Crisis without the obliqueness. I'll withhold further judgement until the series is done but I didn't enjoy Final Crisis at all and am starting to burn out on DC comics.

Blackest Night Tales of the Corps was a waste of money, IMO and I won't bother with the rest of the issues.
    After being a loyal fan buying the "event" comics these past four or five years, I'm getting burned out on DC too. And not to pin the merits of Blackest Night on one tentatively negative opinion, but as someone holding out for the collected versions before reading it, it's kinda nice to hear I'm not necessarily missing out on something as über special as the promos tease it to be. I was disappointed with FC too, but one of these days when I have some free time, I'd love to sit and read thru them all again in one afternoon to see if that helps enjoy it better. Anyway, for those of you following BN, thanks very much for using spoiler blockouts. I appreciate it.

• we jumped out a window

After being a loyal fan buying the "event" comics these past four or five years, I'm getting burned out on DC too. And not to pin the merits of Blackest Night on one tentatively negative opinion, but as someone holding out for the collected versions before reading it, it's kinda nice to hear I'm not necessarily missing out on something as über special as the promos tease it to be. I was disappointed with FC too, but one of these days when I have some free time, I'd love to sit and read thru them all again in one afternoon to see if that helps enjoy it better. Anyway, for those of you following BN, thanks very much for using spoiler blockouts. I appreciate it.
    I did enjoy Sinestro Corps War quite a bit. While it may be extremely hasty to judge just by the first issue, it looks as if it may be shaping up to be SCW with Black Lanterns instead of Yellow. Hopefully that's a premature assessment on my part. I certainly hope so because I'm nearly at a point where I want to give up on DC "Death Count" comics for quite a while.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast